Home > Newsroom > QPR Game 2 2018

QPR Game 2 2018

Our 2nd game of the day at Loftus Road was certainly packed with excitement, with the watching QPR fans being treated to a 12 goal thriller! The seesaw encounter could have gone either way, but in the end the match finished in a 6-6 draw, which ensured both teams went home happy. It was a great end to another successful day working alongside the QPR in the Community Trust to allow QPR fans the chance to Live the Dream. 

Date: Tuesday 8th May 2018
Venue: Loftus Road
QPR (Home) vs QPR (Away)
Kick Off: 18:00 pm
Playing Legends: Kevin Gallen & Andy Sinton
Manager: Don Shanks
Match Officials: Grant Mulcahy, Stuart Wood, Oliver Kaya & Steve Daly

The teams marched onto the Loftus Road pitch in glorious evening sunshine, and had the considerable honour of lining up alongside club Legends Kevin Gallen (Home) and Andy Sinton (Away). 

The Away team came out of the blocks quickly, creating an early chance for their Captain Ray Wheeler, however Home keeper Kevin Dennis did well to smother his well struck left foot effort. At the other end Home No 9 Matthew Lewis pounced on a slight mistake at the back and looked like opening the scoring, however he was well closed down by Away keeper Nathan Peach who made a great save at the feet of the striker. 

With just 9mins on the clock it was instead the No 9’s brother William Lewis who opened the scoring for the Hoops. The goal coming after Dan Watson picked the ball up on the left side of his half, looked up and played an excellent defence splitting pass which Lewis raced onto and the striker made no mistake, firing the ball low past the keeper from 10 yards out (1-0).

The pace and guile of the Away team’s No 17 Ethan Goodman was causing the Home defence problems on their right and the speedy winger almost levelled the scores soon after, however his right foot effort went narrowly past the far post. However it didn’t take long for the left mid to get on the scoresheet and with 20mins gone Ethan Goodman equalised for the Red and Blue team. The attacker racing onto a great through ball from Paul Carroll and comfortably sliding the ball low past the keeper into the far corner of the net (1-1). 

The Home team responded well though and when No 11 William Lewis squared the ball for his strike partner Matthew Lewis the No 9 looked odds on to score, however his side foot effort from 8 yards flashed just past the goal. However it was the Away team who were to take the lead for the 1st time on 32mins. Ray Wheeler fed the ball into the feet of Paul Carroll just outside the penalty area and the No 9 controlled the ball well, turned and unleashed a fantastic right foot shot which flew into the far corner of the net (1-2). What a goal from the striker!

However almost straight from the restart the Home side were back on level terms! Centre half Martin Jamieson strode out from the back and played the ball to William Lewis on the left side of the box, the striker returned the ball 1st time to the No 4 and he fired the ball high into the net left footed (2-2). 

Back came the Away team and they went back in front again on 43mins. No 7 Dale Walton collected a clearance on the right hand side and swung in a dangerous cross to the back post and with the evening sun in his eyes the Home keeper Kevin Dennis couldn’t collect the high ball and it escaped his grasp and rolled into the net (2-3).    

With the half coming to a close the Home team launched one final attack on the break, Captain Tony O'Hara raced clear on the right-side of the box and unselfishly squared the ball to Matthew Lewis, the No 11 smashed a shot goalwards and much to his amazement the Away keeper somehow got a hand to the ball and tipped it over the bar. It was a brilliant, reflex save from the keeper and deservedly won him the Moment of the Match trophy!

That was to be the final chance of the half and the Away team went into the break with a narrow 2-3 advantage. It was all to play for in the 2nd period and Legend Kevin Gallen could feel confident that his Home side would be able to get back on level terms soon. 

Half-Time: QPR (Home) 2 - 3 QPR (Away)

The Home side started the half in determined fashion and striker Matthew Lewis had a great chance to even the scores right after half-time, however his effort from 8 yards out was brilliantly saved by Away keeper Nathan Peach at point blank range. However the big striker got his goal soon afterwards, the Home team drawing level on 52mins. Home No 14 Gary Durkin floated in a great cross from the left and Matthew Lewis was in the right place at the right time to volley the ball home from 6 yards out (3-3).

The crowd were being treated to a fantastic spectacle and play raged from end to end. The ever dangerous Ethan Goodman had a good chance on the break, however his low shot was well saved by Kevin Dennis. At the other end Matthew Lewis had a great opportunity to get his 2nd goal of the game, however he hit his volley into the ground and the ball bounced over the crossbar. 

However just before the hour mark it was the Away team who went ahead again thanks to another great piece of finishing from Paul Carroll. The striker received the ball from Ethan Goodman, turned on a sixpence and nonchalantly poked the ball home with the outside of his right boot (3-4).

Back came the Home team though and within a minute they were back on level terms! Gary Durkin was the provider again, his excellent cross from the left finding William Lewis in space on the edge of the area, the striker controlled the ball and slammed a brilliant half volley into the net, giving the keeper no chance (4-4).

Going into the final 30mins the contest was on a knife edge and it was impossible to tell which way it would go. Ethan Goodman had a chance from close range for the Away team, however the impressive Home centre half Ronnie Smollett did brilliantly to block his close range effort. 

The Home team then broke quickly with William Lewis racing clear onto a pass from his brother Andrew Lewis, William squared the ball to his brother Matthew, however a last ditch interception by Peter Robinson denied the No 9 his chance. But the ball broke back to the feet of William Lewis and the No 11 expertly slammed the ball home, low past the keeper from a narrow angle for his 2nd goal of the game (5-4).

The Away team responded brilliantly though and on 72mins they were back on level terms again! Paul Carroll collecting the ball just inside the area and slamming a left foot shot past the keeper and into the corner of the net for his hat-trick (5-5).

The Red and Blue team were buoyed by their 5th goal and on 78mins they grabbed the lead back again. A long clearance from the keeper was headed forward and Ethan Goodman played a quick one-two with Carroll before racing clear of the defence and poking the ball home with the outside of his right foot (5-6).

However the Home team showed great resolve to hit back almost immediately and with 80mins on the clock the Lewis brothers combined again to level the scores! Midfielder Andrew freed striker William with another perfectly weighted pass which allowed the No 11 to race clear on goal, the forward fired in a powerful effort on goal which was well saved by the keeper, however Matthew Lewis was on hand to smash home the rebound from close range (6-6).

Both sides pushed for the winner, however the defences held firm in the final minutes and the match ended in a draw. The players had certainly served up a fantastic encounter for the fans and they received a deserved round of applause as they left the field. It had been a perfect way to end another great day at Loftus Road.

Huge thanks again to QPR FC, QPR in the Community Trust, Manager Don Shanks, Playing Legends Kevin Gallen and Andy Sinton and of course all our QPR players for their fantastic efforts on the day. 

Full-Time: QPR (Home) 6 - 6 QPR (Away)

Man of the Match Home: Martin Jamieson
Man of the Match Away: Paul Carroll
Moment of the Match: Nathan Peach

Home Team: Kevin Dennis, Nick Cooke, Kevin Gallen, Martin Jamieson, Ronnie Smollet, Michael Kelly, Tony O'Hara (C), Dan Watson, Matthew Lewis, Andrew Lewis, William Lewis, Gary Durkin, Dennis Freeman, Mark Kay, Joe Freeman
Home Mascot: Poetry Dennis Abbot

Away Team: Nathan Peach, Craig Purnell, Andy Sinton, Steve Carroll, Lloyd Russell, Neil Baldwin, Dale Walton, Ray Wheeler (C), Paul Carroll, Anthony Bartos, Pete Robinson, Neil Westland, Steve Wright, Pete Mullen, Ethan Goodman
Away Mascot: Valentina Bartos 

Match Report written by Simon Farnan

Official photographs are available to order from Matt Nuttall’s website here >> www.footballaidphotos.com. You can also contact Matt on Tel: 07793 818021 or Email: info@mattnuttallphotography.co.uk

If you'd like to order a DVD of the match please contact – Chillpics' Shane Wilkinson, Freelance Cameraman & Photographer on Tel: 07789 500569 or E-mail: swchillpics@gmail.com

“Pleasure as always @FootballAid. Will feel it in the legs tomorrow!" Away Legend, Andy Sinton