Home > Newsroom > Man City Game 2 2015

Man City Game 2 2015

Our 2nd Man City game of the day at the magnificent City Football Academy was every bit as exciting as the 1st had been, providing the watching fans with 13 goals and a lot more entertainment besides. The end of the game will live long in the memory and will go down as one of the most exciting climaxes we’ve ever seen, so it’s well worth reading right to the end of the report if you don’t know what happened! 

Date: Fri 15th May 2015
Venue: The City Football Academy
Manchester City (Home) vs Manchester City (Away)
Game 2
Kick Off: 14:30 pm
Legend: Colin Hendry
Match Officials: Chris Sharples, Rory Spragg, Danny Sims & Craig Littler

The sun was still shining for the 2nd game of the day at the Academy Stadium and the fans were looking forward to another cracking game, and they didn’t have to wait long for the entertainment to start, with Colin Hendry’s Home team racing out of the blocks to take the lead right after the kick-off! An early shot from Craig Cunningham lead to a goal-kick and when Craig Larkin tried to play short one to his full-back Home Captain Andy Lakin showed great awareness to nick the ball off the full back and race goalwards before firing in a low effort. With just 2mins on the clock the Home team were already a goal to the good (1-0)!

The Away team tried to settle and some excellent build play led to a ball being played into the box from wide on the left, however it was cleared by the Home defence and fell to Away midfielder Liam Pagett on the edge of the box, the No 8 fired in a 1st time volley, however his effort was just wide of the target. The Home team came roaring back and when the pacy Andy Lakin let fly with another good effort on 10mins, however it was just off target. 

The fully committed Colin Hendry was throwing himself into challenges as usual and the Away team were struggling to make any headway in the attacking 3rd of the field, however their No 6 Sam Cunningham was starting to pull the strings in midfield and when he found Liam Pagett in space on the left side of the area on 17mins, the No 8 made no mistake, calmly side-footing the ball past Home GK Max Prenderghast (1-1). 

It was the same combination that undid the Home defence again on 24mins! Cunningham again finding Liam Pagett free on the left with another defence splitting pass, and the skilful midfielder cut inside brilliantly before despatching the ball into the net to fire his side ahead (1-2). 

Back came the Home side and after Legend Colin Hendry made another block on the edge of his area the ball fell to Home No 9 John Cooper in space in his own half, the striker ran the full length of the half unchallenged and expertly slotted the ball past Craig Larkin in the Away goal With 28mins gone the scores were all square again at 2 goals apiece (2-2). 

The Away team responded immediately though and on 30mins Away No 6 Sam Cunningham beat the offside trap and latched onto Gino Marone’s perfectly weighted through ball, he proceeded to race in on goal and round the keeper before finishing with ease (2-3). 

The Home side responded brilliantly though and when Mike Andrews perfect pass found Home No 6 Stuart Hames in space on the right side of the area 5mins later, he made no mistake, firing the ball home from a tight angle (3-3). 

With half-time approaching fast both teams were eager to gain an advantage before the break and it was the Away side who made the breakthrough on 40mins. A great passing move allowed Sam Cunningham to race into the area on the right side and the No 6 looked destined to score until Colin Hendry’s unbelievable sliding tackle blocked his goal-bound effort, however the ball fell to Gino Marone and the Away Captain showed great striking instincts to fire home from close range (3-4). 

Nick Johnson almost levelled the scores for the Home team at the other end, however the Away defence held firm and they went into the break with a 1 goal advantage. 

Half Time: Man City (Home) 3 - 4 Man City (Away)

Playing Legend Colin Hendry swapped sides at half-time and perhaps the Away defence were still re-organising themselves as the Home team grabbed a goal right from the kick-off! A quick passing move involving John Cooper and Craig Cunningham ended in the No 10 playing a ball through the defence for the pacy Stuart Hames to run onto and the midfielder just got to the ball ahead of the keeper to toe the ball under him and into the goal (4-4).

The Away side responded well though and Zack Wilson restored their lead on 48mins. It was Sam Cunningham again who created the goal, his clever one- two with Liam Pagett allowed him the space to fire in an effort in from the left side of the box and when it was blocked by the defence the ball fell to striker Wilson. The No 11 made no mistake, poking the ball home from 10 yards (4-5).

It was a great game to watch now, with both teams playing some excellent passing football and flying forward into attack and the Home side grabbed another goal on 55mins after a quick break found Home No 17 Stephen Johnson on the left side of the area. The left mid showed fantastic skill to lift the ball over the advancing Hendry’s challenge and when the ball landed he controlled it before firing home from the left side of the box. It was a tremendous goal and easily a contender for goal of the game (5-5)!

With the scores dead even the game was on a knife edge, with both sides eager to gain an advantage over their opponents. However despite the pressure being applied both defences were holding out well. That was until the 65min when Colin Hendry found Away Captain Gino Marone on the left side of the box with an inch perfect through ball, the No 9 raced into the area and prepared to round the keeper before he was unceremoniously upended by the stopper! The striker stepped up to take the penalty himself, however his well struck eff  ort was saved by the Home GK Max Prenderghast and the ball was cleared away to safety!

The Away team continued to press for an opportunity, with midfielder Sam Cunningham a constant threat, however the Home team’s defence, expertly marshalled by Declan Ware and Bob Thorpe was holding out brilliantly.   

The Home team were still a danger on the break though and they were still creating chances of their own and when No 11 Nick Johnson was set free on the right side of the area he looked odds on to score, however he dragged his effort just wide of the far post. Back came the Away team, their Legend Colin Hendry strode up the pitch with the ball and freed No 11 Zack Wilson on the right side of the area, the striker fired a shot goalwards which was brilliantly saved by Home keeper Max Prenderghast, the rebound fell for Gino Marone and the No 9 looked odds on to score from close range until Declan Ware’s fantastic last ditch tackle denied him!  The Home team immediately went on the attack and when Andy Lakin was freed on the right he raced clear of the Away defence and squared for Stuart Hames who side-footed the ball into the net to put his side ahead with 84mins on the clock (6-5).

The Away team threw everything at the Home side in a desperate effort to get an equaliser and they needed a trio of smart saves from goalkeeper Prenderghast to deny Hendry, Cunningham and Marone. 

The Home side then had a fantastic chance to wrap things up when Nick Johnson raced clear on 89mins, however he fired his right foot effort wide of the near post and his team’s lead remained a slender one goal. 

With the clock ticking over to 90mins all looked lost for the Away team however their undying determination not to be beaten saw them draw level in the final minute of the game! Martin McLeod found Sam Cunningham with an a long free-kick and the skilful midfielder twisted and turned before finding Colin Hendry on the edge of the area, the powerful defender turned on a sixpence and fired a left foot shot goalwards which the Home keeper managed to get a hand to, however the shot was struck too hard and the ball looped up and dropped into the net (6-6).

The Home team weren’t content with the draw and went on the attack straight from the re-start, however Martin McLeod expertly dispossessed Stephen Johnson in the middle of the pitch and played a quick ball forward to his Legend Colin Hendry, the big Scot looked up and saw goalkeeper Prenderghast marginally off his line and proceeded to hit a magnificent lob from 35 yards out which sailed over the luckless keeper and into the net (6-7).

It was to be the final act of an incredible game, and the Away side had somehow snatched victory despite being a goal down with just a minute to go! The Home team were understandably disappointed as they left the pitch, however they could be hugely proud of their efforts and had only been undone by an outrageous bit of skill from Legend Colin Hendry.    

Full time: Man City (Home) 6 - 7 Man City (Away)

Man of the Match (Home): Andy Lakin 
Man of the Match (Away): Sam Cunningham
Moment of the Match: Max Prenderghast

Home Team: Max Prenderghast, Mike Andrews, Colin Hendry (1st Half), Declan Ware, Robert Thorpe, Stuart Hames, Andy Lakin (C), Richard Mullen, John Cooper, Craig Cunningham, Nick Johnson, Michael Ingham, Stephen Johnson
Home Mascot: Olivia Cunningham-Clarke

Away Team: Craig Larkin, Alex Daley, Colin Hendry (2nd Half), Joseph Pagett, Jonathan Abelson, Sam Cunningham, Matt Burrows, Liam Pagett, Gino Marone (C), Martin McLeod, Zack Wilson, Darren Cohen, Mark Clyne, 
Away Mascot: Anna Mcleod