Home > Newsroom > Liverpool Game 2 2014

Liverpool Game 2 2014

The 2nd Football Aid 2014 fixture at Anfield was a very close match, dominated by both sets of defenders and their keepers. As the players found out, the only way to defeat these strong walls was to score stunning strikes and that is what those watching were treated to, with all the goals worthy of Goal of the Season. At full time it was the Away side that got the victory thanks to a brace from Francesco Carnovale and some super saves from keeper Lee Shilton who kept out the Home attackers throughout, as they battled valiantly to get back into the match.

Date: Thursday 22nd May 2014
Venue: Anfield
Liverpool (Home) vs Liverpool (Away)
Game 2
Kick off: 14:30pm
Legends: Alan Kennedy and Jan Molby 
Match Officials: Peter Munt, Tom Rooney, Thomas Wright and Dave Chappell

The Home team kicked off facing the famous kop end of Anfield, wearing the famous all Red home kit, but it didn’t take long though for their opposition to steal the ball and take the lead. With just 1 min on the clock centre mid Martyn Farrell picked up a pass in the centre of the park before sweeping it out to the right to find his midfield partner Dean Werrett. The No 10 waited before picking out a brilliant pass through the Home defence back to Farrell, who 1st time magically chipped the ball perfectly over goalkeeper Clayton Edge and into the back of the net (0-1). 

Five mins later and the Away side had almost doubled their lead with the assist maker Werrett almost finding the net himself. The ball was laid off to him by Farrell and from 25 yards Werrett struck the ball hard and high, but Home keeper Clayton Edge was able to match his effort, palming the ball behind for a corner. 

The game slowed up somewhat, but it was the Away side who continued to press and almost doubled their lead after 20 mins. Goal-scorer Farrell turned provider as he played a long, 30 yard pass into the path of centre forward Sean Osgathorp. Having seen the approaching Clayton Edge, the No 9 quickly tried to chip the keeper but his shot rolled towards goal and was cleared on the line by Legend Alan Kennedy. 

After dominating at the back for so long, the Away defence, led so well by centre halves Ugo Greevy and captain Martin Johnstone were finally breached by a sublime effort from winger Mark Woof on 30mins. The play started with a throw-in from Alex Smal to Woof on the left wing, the No 8 then played a nice flicked pass back into Smal on the edge of the box, Smal flicked it inside to centre forward partner Ben Goldsmith who back-heeled it to Woof and the winger managed to hit a high looping effort as he was falling over, which flew over the goalie into the far corner (1-1).

Straight up the other end, the Away team soon had their lead back and it was turning out to be a day for chipped goals, as winger Adam Riley added his effort to the list. With 35 mins gone Centre mid Martyn Farrell cut in from the right wing, going past his man before sweeping the ball over to the left for winger Adam Riley. He took one touch before getting his head up to loft a perfect shot into the top right corner leaving the goalie scrambling for the ball (1-2).

On the stroke of half time the Home team almost levelled when an attempted cross from full back Dan Graham almost sneaked in at the near post. Graham played a lovely one-two with winger Geoff Jackson down the right side before playing in a low ball that was meant to pass in front of the Away goalie but instead smashed off the near post and out for a goal kick. 

Incredibly, just as the half was about to end, the game saw another impressive chipped goal, and this one was the best of the lot! No 16 Ricky Clapperton spread the play out to full back James Goldsmith who played a long ball into Italian winger Francesco Carnovale. The No 7 controlled the ball on his knee, let it bounce before smacking a high looping effort that caught everyone off guard, the ball flying into the back of the net. It was as if the winger instinctively knew where the goalkeeper and the net was and his inspired effort worked perfectly for him and his side (1-3).

This was how the half ended with the Away team narrowly in the lead thanks to 3 excellent finishes. The attackers were also helped by their defensive line, controlled mainly by pairing Ugo Greevy and Martin Johnstone who were only beaten by a stunning shot from Mark Woof. Going into the 2nd half, there was still everything to play for as the only goals that had been scored were cracking solo efforts. 

Half Time: Liverpool (Home) 1 - 3 Liverpool (Away)

At the break, Legend Alan Kennedy had some wise words, telling his team just to calm down and play the easy balls and this would win them the game. However, when the game re-started it was their opposition who came closest to scoring on two occasions. The 1st was a shot that flashed just wide of the right post by substitute Nick Medlicott and then 2 mins later centre forward Brendan Hoey was played through one-on-one with the keeper, he decided to try and add a fifth chipped goal of the afternoon but his effort just clipped the bar and went over.

This pressure mounted and the Away side did get the ball in the net, this time it wasn’t a chipped effort like the rest but a bit more of a classic striker’s finish. The ball was won in midfield by No 14 Nick Medlicott, who then charged toward the box before squaring it to centre forward Sean Osgathorp and the No 9 coolly slotted it between the goalies legs into the open net; however, all along the forward was offside, much to his frustration.  

Then it was the Home team’s turn to worry their opposition when No 14 Grayson Marlow tried to chip the goalie, clearly the chosen shot type of the day. Centre forward Ben Goldsmith slid the ball into Marlow’s path, but the ball bobbled up from an Away defender’s slide tackle and so Marlow had to attempt a chip as the Away goalie rushed him, however the ball passed just over the bar. 

Unfortunately for the Home team, their spell of pressure didn’t last long and it was discounted when No 7 Francesco Carnovale got his 2nd goal of the afternoon on 56 mins. The Home goalie Clayton Edge tried to play the ball out to his left back but his pass was picked off by the winger who easily curled the ball over the stranded keeper and into the open net (1-4).

With less than 10 mins to go and when everyone thought the chipped goals were done there was almost another through centre mid Dean Werrett. The No 10 stole the ball off the Home defence, took the ball out to the right of the box before curling a high effort that almost looped over the keeper, but instead it smacked off the frame of the goal. 

There was controversy to come just moments later when the Away team won an indirect free-kick. As the ball was played back to goalie Edge, the keeper slipped as he was put under pressure from the Away No 17 Harry Hunt. He grabbed the ball, prompting the referee to award the free-kick inside the box. Acting within the rules, the Away team took it quickly, with centre forward Sean Osgathorp exchanging a one-two with Hunt before placing it into the open net. However, the referee brought the play back, so he must have thought the ball was moving as they took it or else he would surely have let the goal stand. Much to the Away team's disappointment the resulting free-kick was blocked twice by the solid Home wall. 

Unfortunately there was no way back for the Home team in the last five mins as the Away defence was too strong for them to break down. Throughout the 2nd period Ugo Greevy and Martin Johnstone continued the great work they had done in the 1st half, allowing full backs Ricky Clapperton and Jan Molby to get forward. However, the Home defence of Colin Anderson and Luke Adams were very solid also, only outdone by some outstanding finishes from the Away attackers. The score-line certainly would’ve looked a lot different had it not been for the saves of Clayton Edge and Lee Shilton who pulled off some crackers throughout. In the end, though, the chipped goals from the Away team were the difference between the two evenly matched sides.

Full time: Liverpool (Home) 1 - 4 Liverpool (Away)

Man of the Match Home: Dewi Davies  
Man of the Match Away: Francesco Carnovale
Moment of the Match: Mark Woof

Home Team: Clayton Edge, Dan Graham, Alan Kennedy, Colin Henderson (C), Luke Adams, Billy Eckersley, Geoff Jackson, Mark Woof, Alex Smal, Dewi Davies, Ben Goldsmith, Grayson Marlow, Chris Rogerson, David Underwood, Ajwinder Mann
Home Mascot: Harry Davies

Away Team: Lee Shilton, James Goldsmith, Jan Molby, Ugo Greevy, Martin Johnstone (C), Martyn Farrell, Francesco Carnovale, Adam Riley, Sean Osgathorp, Dean Werrett, Brendan Hoey, Nick Medlicott, Ricky Clapperton, Harry Hunt
Away Mascot: Ben Riley