Home > Newsroom > Everton Game 2 2017

Everton Game 2 2017

A bright and cloudy afternoon on Thursday 18th May was a good metaphor for what transpired on the pitch, where the Home team won by a staggering 16-4, ending the game victors over an Away side which despite the score-line showed plenty of heart and created a lot of chances throughout the game. It was certainly a fantastic game for fans of goals!

Date: Thursday 18th May 2017
Venue: Goodison Park
Everton (Home) vs Everton (Away)
Kick Off: 14:00 pm
Legends & Managers: Francis Jeffers, John Ebbrell & Stuart Barlow
Match Officials: Alec Walker, Scott Poole, Alistair Stuart & Jeremy Clein

The Everton Home side started off the match the brighter of the two teams, showing some good passing on the edge of the box and looking dangerous on the counter.

However the Away side were dealing with the constant pressure well, keeping in formation and dealing with through-balls calmly and effectively.

After a good bit of skill from John Hagedorn, the Home side almost got the opening goal, after his back heeled pass found Stuart Welton but his shot was well saved by Away keeper Alan Todd.

Then the Away side almost nicked a goal after Thomas Conwin found himself in on goal, but his chipped effort beat the keeper and narrowly missed the post.

But it was the Home side that drew first blood after 12 mins, when Declin Ward’s pass upfield was latched onto by John Hagedorn, who rounded the keeper and kept his composure to slot the ball into an empty net (1-0).

It didn’t take long for the Away side to level the score though, and after an over-the-top through ball from legend Stuart Barlow fell into the path of Simon Mickle, the speedy striker finished brilliantly, hammering the ball into the top corner past the keeper. With 15 mins on the clock the game was all even again (1-1).

The Away side then had a goal disallowed, after Hugh McKillop was judged to have handled the ball before scoring.

Then at the other end a vital last ditch challenge from Calvin Lasswell denied Andrew Kenny from being 1-on-1 with just the keeper to beat.

Then with 20 mins on the clock the Home side took the lead again. A mix up at the back saw the Away keeper, Alan Todd, caught off his line and the ball fell to John Hagedorn, who dinked the ball over the keeper to put his side in front again (2-1).

However yet again, the Away side found their equalising goal soon afterwards! Thomas Cowin’s pass with the outside of his boot found Simon Mickle, and the No 11 shrugged off the defender, dummied the ball around the keeper, and walked the ball into the net in the 23rd min (2-2).

The Home side went back on the attack right away and replied quickly with an outstanding volley, and celebration, from Captain Kevin Ballard, who was set up well by Stuart Welton after 26 mins (3-2).

Then some fantastic pressing from Stuart Welton allowed him to intercept a pass, dribble into the box and hammer the ball past the keeper straight into the top corner from a tight angle, putting his side 2 goals ahead on the 30th min (4-2).

The Home team had found their attacking groove now and a pinpoint pass from John Hagedorn allowed Andrew Kenny to control the ball and drive a low, hard, shot into the bottom corner after 32 mins. The deadly striker then added a homage to Tim Cahill, shadow boxing at the corner flag in celebration (5-2)!

The Home team continued to press forward and a skillful run from John Hagedorn saw him ghost past the defence and place the ball past the keeper, netting his hat trick after 35 mins (6-2).

The Away side weren’t giving up though and they had a golden chance to claw a goal back, but Ben Dermott’s chip didn’t have enough power to lift over the keeper after he found himself 1-on-1.

At the other end a mistake at the back saw Andrew Kenny capitalise on a loose pass to curl the ball around the keeper and score his 2nd of the match after 42 mins (7-2).

The Home side looked to be running away with the game now, and Stuart Welton’s run down the line allowed him space to square the ball across the box to the waiting John Hagedorn, and the skillful winger kept his cool and placed the ball in from close range just before half time (8-2).

The whistle went for halftime soon afterwards with the Home team well in control. It had been an excellent performance from the team in Blue and White: clinical in front of goal and relentless in their attacking at times. The Away side showed a lot of promise in attack themselves, but needed to create more chances, and the atmosphere in the dressing rooms at half time was vastly different, John Ebbrell was attempting to rally his dispirited Away side, while Francis Jeffers only needed to tell his side to go out and do more of the same.

Half Time: Everton (Home) 8 - 2 Everton (Away)

The second half began with the Away side looking motivated from their half time team talk, and the team in Black looked eager to get a vital goal back and that’s just what they did on 56 mins.  A fantastic cross from Simon Mickle found Calvin Laswell running on goal at the back post and the No 7 produced an excellent 1st time finish on the volley to reduce the deficit (8-3).

Another great opportunity fell for the Away when the ball came to Alex Taylor, but with just the keeper to beat his shot sailed over the bar.

The Home side battled back and on 63 mins they got their 9th goal, with another outstanding bit of skill from Andrew Kenny bringing up his hat-trick. The striker chipped the ball up, turned, and hit a half volley which rocketed past the keeper into the net (9-3).

The Away side then almost got their 4th goal from a free kick, after Hugh McKillop’s strike was well saved by Craig Aylett, the keeper got down well to his bottom corner to push the ball Away.

However it was soon double digits for the Home side, Sam Roads raced down the left wing, cut inside, then slotted the ball past the keeper with the outside of his boot on the 73rd min (10-3).

Back came the Away side and they were awarded a penalty after James Stephenson was judged to have fouled Pete Hanlon, however Hanlon’s effort was too high and the ball sailed over the bar.

The penalty miss was then punished, after Declin Ward’s cross found Andrew Kenny at the back post on 77 mins, the on-fire striker powered his header into the net for his 4th goal of the game (11-3)!

Another goal for the Home side looked to have put them out of sight, after Andrew Kenny put through John Hagedorn, the MOTM contender tucked the ball under the keeper from a difficult angle and scored his 5th of the game in the 78th min (12-3).

And just 2 mins later it was that man Andrew Kenny again who found himself in on goal, the striker made no mistake in thundering his strike into the net, leaving the keeper stranded, and racking up an incredible 5 goal haul for the crowd favourite (13-3).

Fittingly it was the Home side’s No 14 Christopher Unwin who scored his side’s 14th goal! The midfielder spotted the keeper off his line and dinked the ball emphatically over the keeper on the 82nd min (14-3).

After another excellent cross from John Hagedorn, the ball was turned in by a powerful diving header from Andrew Kenny, who had now scored a double hat trick after 84 mins (15-3).

The Everton striker was having a dream day and just couldn’t stop scoring! A quick pass from Sam Roads was met by Andrew Kenny, and his side-footed volley found its way past the keeper, Kenny scoring his 7th of the game on 86 mins (16-3)!

The Away side weren’t to be denied though and they got a late, and well deserved, consolation goal from Thomas Cowin on 89 mins. The goal coming after a good cross from Simon Mickle was volleyed in from close range by the Left midfielder (16-4).

The game came to an end soon afterwards, the score line was certainly emphatic for the Home side, but it didn’t reflect just how much character and fight the Away side had shown throughout. However the impressive Home side left the Goodison Park pitch deserved winners after scoring some spectacular goals, with the final score ending 16-4.

Huge thanks again to Everton FC, EITC and our Legends Francis Jeffers, John Ebbrell & Stuart Barlow for their fantastic support on the day.

Full Time: Everton (Home) 16 - 4 Everton (Away)

Man of the Match Home: No.11 Andrew Kenny
Man of the Match Away: No.9 Simon Mickle
Moment of the Match: No.7 John Hagedorn

Home Team: Craig Aylett, Andrew Stephenson, Declin Ward, Jonathan Good, Peter Moogan, Dave Cashin, John Hagedorn, Stuart Welton, Robert Bowker, Kevin Ballard (C), Andrew Kenny, Christopher Unwin, James Stephenson, Matthew Unwin, Sam Roads
Home Manager: Francis Jeffers
Home Mascot: Luke Kenny

Away Team: Allan Todd, Chris Lasswell, Stuart Barlow, Tony Hine, Francis Campbell, Andy Porter, Calvin Lasswell, Thomas W. Cowin, Simon Mickle, Ben Dermott, Hugh McKillop (C), Pete Hanlon, James O'Neill, Scott McLardy, Alex Taylor
Away Manager: John Ebbrell
Away Mascot: Ethan Porter

Match report written by Joshua Brimble.

The photographs used in this report were taken on staff mobile phones. A wider selection of fantastic Official Photographs are available from Matt Nuttall Photography. To order just visit www.footballaidphotos.com or contact Matt on T: 07793 818021 or E: info@mattnuttallphotography.co.uk

If you'd like to order a DVD of your game please contact – Chillpics' Shane Wilkinson, Freelance Cameraman & Photographer on E-mail: swchillpics@gmail.com


"Cracking day at Goodison Park. Thank You!!
Scott McLardy - G2 Away Team No.16