Home > Newsroom > Brighton & Hove Albion 2018

Brighton & Hove Albion 2018

Our 2nd ever game at The Amex had it all, stunning goals, brilliant saves, excellent celebrations and even a missed penalty! The impressive Brighton Away team ran out winners by 3-7, with their 4 goal striker Trevor Hobbs proving to be the difference between the teams, however the Home side contributed hugely to what was a fantastic end to end game from the first minute to the last. 

Date: Sunday 13th May 2018
Venue: The Amex
Brighton (Home) vs Brighton (Away)
Kick Off: 14:00 pm
Match Officials: Adrian Waters, Peter Munt & Thomas Jaggs

The Brighton players took to The Amex pitch with glorious sunshine shining on their backs and the Away team certainly made a bright start, almost opening the scoring in the opening minute of the game! 

The ball was cycled well in midfield and when it was played up-field to Daniel Turrell he turned and released Martyn Barnett with a fine through ball, the winger raced into the box and squared the ball for Trevor Hobbs, the striker tried to get a 1st time shot on goal but under pressure from two defenders he couldn’t find the target. 

The big striker was looking a threat and he tried his luck from distance soon after, however his well struck low effort was brilliantly turned round the post by Home keeper Eugenio Arecco. At the other end the skilful Home No 7 Spencer Slaughter came close with a volley, however his effort just went past the left hand post.

Back came the Away team and the Men in Black took the lead with 10mins gone. David Large carried the ball out of defence and released Roberto Donay who had made a great run beyond the defence, the Away Captain evaded the keeper, then steadied himself and side footed a shot under the body of Arecco and into the net. The No 10 certainly celebrated in style, running into the crowd and giving his partner and biggest fan Lizzy a massive kiss!! (0-1).

The Home team responded well though and Spencer Slaughter almost scored with a skilful turn and shot, however Away keeper Matthew Holt pulled off a fine save to deny him. A few minutes later Kevin Robertson had a chance at the same end, however his effort from 10 yards was just too high.  

Despite the Home team’s pressure it was the Away team who doubled their lead on 29mins. Trevor Hobbs did well to dispossess Slaughter on the edge of the area and then selflessly squared the ball to Daniel Turrell who side footed the ball into the net from 6 yards out (0-2). 

The Away team were buoyed by their 2nd goal and Trevor Hobbs almost scored after a fine run and shot from the left side of the box, however Eugenio Arecco did very well to narrow the angle and block his left foot shot. The Home side were keen to play the ball out from the back at all times and unfortunately this policy back-fired again on 37mins. Tommaso Vaccaro received the pass from his keeper and under pressure from Martyn Barnett he was forced to pass the ball back to Arecco, however Trevor Hobbs was alert to the situation and he nipped in ahead of the keeper and side footed it into the goal (0-3).

The Away team were a constant danger on the break and an excellent run and pass by Darren Fox gave Daniel Turrell a great chance to increase their lead further, however much to the Home side’s relief his shot came back off the cross bar and bounced away to safety. 
The Home team took full advantage of their reprieve and a minute before half-time they deservedly got themselves on the scoreboard and it was no surprise that it was Spencer Slaughter who scored the goal. Tommaso Vaccaro’s defence splitting pass allowed the No 7 to run clear on the left hand side and Slaughter did the rest, skilfully side footing the ball past the keeper (1-3).

The Home side had chosen the perfect time to score and the referee’s whistle blew moments later to bring the half to an end. The impressive Away side were in front 3-1, however the Home team had shown great attacking intent themselves and it was all to play for in the 2nd half. 

Half-Time: Brighton (Home) 1 - 3 Brighton (Away)

The Away team started the half quickly and it required a sharp stop from Home keeper Eugenio Arecco to deny the lively Martyn Barnett at his near post. The impressive Italian stopper was called into action a few moments later and did well again to beat away an effort from David Large. The Home team couldn’t relieve the pressure though and when Martyn Barnett drove into the box and prepared to shoot a last ditch challenge from Adam Canning was deemed to be a foul and the ref pointed to the spot. Barnett stepped up to take the kick himself, however his powerful effort sailed over the cross-bar…

Back came the Home team and on 55mins they narrowed the deficit again. Canning played a great pass for Slaughter to run onto and as he raced into the box instead of shooting the midfielder cleverly squared the ball for Benjamin Mercer who was able to slide it home from 6 yards (2-3). 

The Home team almost equalised soon after when Benjamin Mercer played a great cross into the box for his strike partner Ashley Bennett to acrobatically volley goalwards, however Matthew Holt was equal to the effort and palmed the ball away to safety.

However it was to be the Away team who increased their lead further on 62mins. Hobbs released Barnett on the left and the No 7’s accurate cross found David Large in the box and the striker’s clinical header gave the keeper no chance. It was a fine way for the No 9 to bring up his 10th Football Aid goal! (2-4)

The Home team responded well though and it took a brilliant stop from Matthew Holt to deny Mike Martin at the near post. However the danger wasn’t past and from the resulting corner Spencer Slaughter leapt like a salmon to power a header home at the back post (3-4).

The Home team sensed their opportunity and when Slaughter’s brilliant pass played Adam Canning in on goal, the fullback looked to have levelled the game when he angled a low shot across the keeper, however Matthew Holt dived to his right and somehow palmed the ball away!

It was end to end stuff now and a fierce shot from Dave Wheatley crashed off the cross bar minutes later. However the Away team’s goal wasn’t long in coming and on 71mins Trevor Hobbs restored their 2 goal lead with a stunning strike which flew into the top left corner of the goal (3-5). 

The No 11 was desperate to bring up his hat-trick and he went very close with a powerful right foot shot a few minutes later, however Eugenio Arecco did brilliantly to dive to his left and punch the ball away. However with 85mins on the clock Trevor Hobbs got his reward, following up a shot from Barnett to poke home the rebound from close range (3-6). 

The deadly striker wasn’t finished though and after collecting the ball from Barnett 25 yards out Trevor Hobbs unleashed an unstoppable effort which flew into the top left corner of the net. His 4th and final goal of the day was a definite Goal of the Season contender! (3-7)

The referee’s whistle brought the game to an end shortly afterwards, with the Away team enjoying an impressive win 3-7 in the end. However it had been a close game throughout and both sets of players were cheered off the pitch by their loyal fans as they walked off the hallowed turf. 

Huge thanks again to all the staff at Brighton and Hove Albion FC and all our Seagulls players for their fantastic support on the day. 

Full-Time: Brighton (Home) 3 - 7 Brighton (Away)

Man of the Match Home: Spencer Slaughter
Man of the Match Away: Trevor Hobbs
Moment of the Match: Roberto Donay

Home Team: Eugenio Arecco, Adam Canning, James Aughney, Derek McLeod, Kevin Robertson (C), Spencer Slaughter, Kevin Banks, Benjamin Mercer, David Bennett, Ashley Bennett, Mike Martin, Michele Cortiula, Luca Sideri, Tommaso Vaccaro

Away Team: Matthew Holt, Peter Wigginton, Martin Grady, Daniel Turrell, Andy Wallbank, Martyn Barnett, Darren Fox, David Large, Roberto Donay (C), Trevor Hobbs, James Gerken, Stephen Rose, Robbie Hammond, Dave Wheatley, 
Away Mascots: Holly Wigginton & Grace Heather

Match Report written by Simon Farnan. 

Official photographs are available to order from Matt Nuttall’s website here >> www.footballaidphotos.com. You can also contact Matt on Tel: 07793 818021 or Email: info@mattnuttallphotography.co.uk

If you'd like to order a DVD of the match please contact – Chillpics' Shane Wilkinson, Freelance Cameraman & Photographer on Tel: 07789 500569 or E-mail: swchillpics@gmail.com

"It was a great afternoon, never thought I’d score one let alone four & to get a Man of the Match on my first Football Aid event. Looking forward to seeing if I make the cut for goal of the season."
Trevor Hobbs 

"Thank you for an excellent day awesome facilities at the Amex, can't thank the staff enough for the excellent courtesy shown to my partner being disabled with the seating arrangements. And as always Simon and the rest of the team great as always. And lastly the team of physios who I had to work with this time. Many Thanks."
Kevin Robertson