Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Hearts 2009

Six days before Hearts took on Kilmarnock in a match that would see the Gorgie outfit steer 7 points clear in third place, a game took place that would set a precedent for a Hearts victory at Tynecastle – Football Aid 2009. Twenty-Four Hearts fans took to the tunnel, lining up in their teams before running out of the tunnel to play in the first Football Aid event of Season 2009. 

Sunday 29th March 2009
Hearts Home Vs Hearts Away
Tynecastle Stadium
KO: 11:00 am
Legends: Alan McLaren, Gary Mackay, Jimmy Sandison, Alan Lawrence and Steve Banks
Match Officials – Jim Darling, Terry Donnelly, Craig Darling and Paul Vincenti.

In the start to what was going to be a great day for the defender’s team, Football Aid regular Jim Rae created the first chance for the Home side with a free kick that went just wide of the keeper. Moments later however, the ball was quickly volleyed down to the other end of the pitch, where Away defender Andrew Girrity was on hand to take a shot which unfortunately for him went just over the cross bar.

Not to be disheartened, in the eighth minute Away Captain Euan Millard stepped up to create the Away side’s second chance of the match. His attempt however was blocked by a fantastic save by the Home keeper Stuart Millar, who pushed the ball wide for a corner. From this, Away midfielder Andrew Harwood was able to get his head to the ball, but unfortunately for him, the ball flew over the crossbar and into the Roseburn Stand. 

It wasn’t until the 21st minute that the Away team were able to create another chance to take the lead with Robert Stoddart’s attempt on goal. However the winger could not convert his effort, with the ball from the right flying over the net.

A minute later, a header from the Away Captain Millard looked certain to open the score line, however once again the Home goalkeeper Stuart Millar was on hand to ensure a clean sheet was kept. A quick-thinking rebound from striker Kris Lee nearly opened the score-line, however this went straight over Millar. With the Away teams opener looking more and more likely, Home legend Gary Mackay was becoming more and more focused on keeping the danger away from the goal.

Just before the half-hour mark, there was a clash in the box in the away end between Dave Buglass from the Home team, and Euan Millard in the Away Team. This led to the first substitution of the game, with the Away team captain coming off for John Page. A mere three minutes later, the first goal of the day came, with right back, Adams, opening the score line for the Away side. A matter of minutes later, a second goal looked likely when Andrew Harwood’s shot went straight towards the goal, only to bypass the net and go over the bar at the very last moment.

In the last few minutes of the first half, midfielder Ian Adams was close to creating a second goal for the away team, however his shot went slightly to the left of the target. Two minutes later, an accident in the box led to Cristiano Fusco coming off for the Home team, being replaced by Ian Dougan in the centre of defence. The Away team collected their thoughts during the substitution, and with one minute of normal time remaining, defender Dean Clark took his first shot at goal, which again was saved by the keeper.

Two minutes of injury time was added to the first half, and unfortunately for the Home team, this proved advantageous for the Away team with Kris Lee getting the team’s second goal of the morning.

Half Time: Hearts Home 0-2 Hearts Away

The home team were straight on the attack in the second half, causing Dean Clark to clear an attempt on goal from a throw in. However it wasn’t long until the Away team began to secure their dominance with Clark running down the right wing to create the first shot on goal of the second half. This attempt was saved by a fantastic overhead kick from home midfielder, Charlie Irvin. 

In the 55th minute, Away midfielder Ian Adams had his shot on goal, only for the ball to fly over the bar. Three minutes later however, Clark was back in the box to create his first chance of the game, and the third goal for the Away side.

A chance for the home team to bring a goal back was created in the 59th minute when defender Jim Rae took a free kick. This unfortunately wasn’t to be, as Ryan Harrison was quick to intercept the failed attempt and shoot into towards the box, only for the ball to hit back off of Pierluigi Gobbo. The ball quickly went back into the path of striker Harrison, whose shot then went right of the target.

The Away team’s strength was beginning to shine through, as by the 64th minute, an interlinking pass between Robert Stoddart to John Page on the line of the box was only stopped by a Home team player bringing Page down for a free kick just outside the penalty area.

Moments later, Stoddart was back in the thick of the action when his corner was collected in the box by Ian Adams. His shot hit off the post and rebounded towards striker Ryan Harrison, with an imminent open goal looking certain to increase the Away Teams lead. However this wasn’t to be, and, with what was to become the moment of the match, he struck the ball straight past the left post.

With 67 minutes played, the Home team started to pull themselves back into the match. A great save by Stuart Millar allowed for the Home side to drive up the pitch and create some great chances. An attempt on goal by midfielder Charlie Irvin was saved by goalkeeper Allan Gillespie, and in quick succession, the rebound by striker Bruce Millar was shot straight past the left post. 

Two minutes later, Irvin was back in the Away side’s danger area, with a fantastic shot which rolled to the left post and was, for the home team, unfortunately saved by the goalkeeper. Irvin was quick to get back into the action with another attempt on goal, which was saved even though it looked like it was rolling into the back of the net! 

Both Ryan Harrison and Andrew Girrity tried to decrease the pressure and increase their lead by having a shot on goal in the space of two minutes as the ball returned to the opposite side of the pitch. Harrison’s initial shot was saved once again by home keeper Stuart Millar, while Girrity’s super strike was also saved in a fantastic two minutes for the home keeper.

Five minutes later, the home team got exactly what they had been looking for, with their first goal of the game. An influx of players surrounded the goal, making it difficult for either team to see the ball’s whereabouts, however a pass into the box by Colin Carson allowed for a one-two between Bruce Millar and former Hearts player Jimmy Sandison, the latter striking the ball right into the top left hand corner of the goal with such force that keeper Alan Gillespie had no chance to save.  

The celebrations didn’t last for too long however, as within 2 minutes, midfielder Ian Adams ran straight into Home goalkeeper Millar, flooring him and not allowing him to get back up for the subsequent goal by Andrew Girrity

The game ended similar to the way that it had taken place, with the Away Team triumphing in two last minute, albeit unsuccessful, attempts to get more goals on the tally.  

Full Time: Hearts Home 1-4 Hearts Away

Home Team: Millar, Gobbo, Mackay, Fusco, Rae, Duncan, Abetini, Irvin, Meikle, Buglass, Millar, Dougan, Carson

Away Team: Gillespie, Clark, Lawrence, Girrity, Nicoll, Millard, Stoddart, Harwood, Harrison, Adams, Lee, Page, Millard 

Mascots: Ben Buglass, Della Dougan, Stewart Farquhar and Harry Girrity 

Man of the Match (home): Dave Buglass
Man of the Match (away): Andrew Girrity
Moment of the Match: Ryan Harrison