Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Leicester City 2008

One week after Leicester City’s final game in the Championship, twenty-six Foxes fans ran down the tunnel to grace the hallowed turf of The Walkers Stadium. They stood where many stood done before, joining Leicester legends Paul Ramsey and Ali Mauchlen in the middle of the stand, to the sound of the lively crowd. The Home Team had a hard act to follow, with only one Home Team win in four Football Aid games since the Foxes joined forces in 2003.

Sunday 11th May 2008
Leicester City Home Vs Leicester City Away
The Walkers Stadium
KO: 11.00 am
Match Officials: Michael Scriven, Gary Taylor and Phil Taylor
Legends: Ali Mauchlen and Paul Ramsey

It was the Away Team that were first to burst into action, however the forwards were intercepted by Home Goalkeeper, Mark Marlow and the first chance of the game was cancelled out. The Home Team took advantage of this and carried the ball up the pitch, allowing for striker Liam King to get into space and create the side’s first attempt on goal. Luckily for the Away side, two consecutive saves from keeper Mick Flaherty in the thirteenth minute kept the score level.

Moments later the Home Team were back on the attack, this time with right back Stewart Pass passing the ball through to King. A one-on-one with the keeper allowed the striker his second opportunity to score, however this attempt was again thwarted by the Flaherty.

It was now the chance for the Away Team to get a bit of the action, with captain Simon Richards hitting the Home Team on the break and taking the ball straight down the right hand side of the pitch. A great save by Marlow stopped Richards’ powerful cross from getting into the back of the net, denying them an early lead.

The Home Team reacted quickly, this time with the ball being threaded through the wing to John Vint. The striker however was intercepted on the right hand side by Away defender Lance Tomlyn, who managed to get the ball into a safer area.

Liam King immediately came back to pursue a goal, with a powerful kick that looked as though it was heading straight into the bottom left hand corner of the net. Again, goalkeeper Mark Marlow had other ideas, and threw himself over to the goal post to ensure the ball did not cross his line.

Then the first goal came. The ball was played over the top of the home defence by the Away midfielders, allowing James Danaher to run onto the ball and take it around the keeper. An unselfish pass into the area could have been cleared by the Home defence, and David Marsh took advantage of this lapse in concentration, and slotted the ball home.

The Home Team immediately went on the attack, with Captain Shaun Burdon taking the ball through the defence and into the area. His first attempt on goal was saved by keeper Mick Flaherty, who pushed the ball away to his defenders. The captain however, got straight back onto the ball and shot it behind Flaherty to even out the score.

The ball quickly made its way back down to the other end of the pitch, and it was midfielder Danny Lint who was close to taking the lead for the second time for the Away team. His attempt unfortunately hit off the corner bar and went out of play.

The ball was quickly taken down to the other end of the park, where striker John Vint was on hand, producing a powerful effort. Again, Mark Marlow was there to construct a great save. There was a moment of confusion when the keeper let the ball slip out of his hands, however midfielder James Danaher was on hand to clear the ball away from the posing threat.

The Home Team looked to increase their lead when Shaun Burdon and Liam King made their way up to the area. Burdon found King in the box, and King, with an unmarked net in front of him slid the ball towards the goal, only for the ball to go out of play.

Stewart Pass was the next name to be added to the score sheet, making it 2-1 with a shot from 20 yards out deflected into the back of the net. Moments later, John Vint nearly trebled the Home Team score, however his attempt from 40 yards out hit off the cross bar and out of play.

Away Captain Simon Richards found himself hitting the ball into the back of the net with a header from the edge of the box that equalled the score to 2-2. However, a collision with the goalkeeper caused injury to the midfielder shortly after the goal.

With the Away team coming back into the game, it was now up to the Home Captain to get his team back into the lead. Burdon’s header from 6 yards out was superbly saved by Away goalkeeper Mick Flaherty, who managed to reach out and tip the ball on to the bar. Straight back onto the attack, the captain managed to scrape past the defenders and slot the ball through the keepers legs to make it 3-2 to the men in Blue.

Home celebrations were soon cut short, when Away team midfielder Daniel Thomas rounded home keeper Mark Marlow, and slotted the ball into the back of the net to create an equal score for the third time in the game. The away team were close to taking a late winner, when, with only two minutes to go, striker Paul King drove the ball up the pitch and hit it hard towards the goal from 6 yards, only for it to go wide of the post.

The last touch of the match could have allowed the Home team to walk away as winners, with great interplay between John Vint and Shaun Burdon. Vint’s first shot on target was well saved by Mick Flaherty, however the rebound looked as though it would put the home team in front as Shaun Burdon came back and from two yards took the shot, only for it to go inches out on the other side of the post. The resulting draw led to the all important decider – the penalty shoot out.

Full Time: Leicester City Home 3–3 Leicester City Away

It was the Home Team who opened the penalties, with Liam King taking the penalty spot, however keeper Mick Flaherty was on the case and the shot was stopped from going in the back of the net. Away Captain Simon Richards was the next man to take to the spot, however his shot zoomed past the keeper to take the lead for the Away Team.

A home goal by John Vint, followed by an away team miss by Daniel Thomas levelled out the penalty score, however it soon got too much for the Home Team as the Away Team’s Ian Pearce and Daniel Danaher scored another two goals, counteracting Rudy Aherne’s miss. Richard Findlay brought the Home Team back to make it 3-2, signifying that for the Home Team to go even, they would have to score and the Away team would have to miss.

The pressure lay with Home Team Captain, and eventual Man of the Match winner, Shaun Burdon, who managed to scrape it past the keeper. Away striker Craig Bird knew that hitting the ball in the back of the net could win it for the Away team, or bring the Home team back into the game. He scored. The Away team would now walk away with a 4-3 victory on penalties, - a suitably dramatic end to the game. 

Result:     Leicester City Home 3-3 Leicester City Away
(Away team win on penalties, 4-3)

Man of the Match (Home): Shaun Burdon

Man of the Match (Away):
Moment of the Match:

Home Team: Marlow, Pass, Ramsey, Whitby, Findlay, Thomas, Whitby, Bird, Vint, Burden©, King Subs: Locker, Crick, Aherne

Mascot: James King

Away Team: Flaherty, Tomlyn, Mauchlen, Pearce, Marsh, Lint, Richards©, Thomas
Bird, Wheatley, King Subs: D Danaher, Dewing, J Danaher

Mascot: Benjamin Richards


There are a wide selection of fantastic action photos available from Matt Nuttall Photography for this match, please visit his website for full order details.

In addition there is a superb DVD available, it includes footage of the pre-match build up as well as full match action and can be ordered by contacting Shane Wilkinson on tel - 07976 509335, or by e-mail at -

A percentage of all these sales will go towards Football Aid’s nominated charities.