Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Scotland Game 1 2005

Sunday 5th June, Hampden Park, Kick Off 10.00, att 150


A magnificent win over Moldova by Walter’s troops on Saturday set the perfect backdrop to the finale of the Football Aid Championship on Sunday 5th June. Despite a lingering drizzle over the morning, the players’ spirits refused to be dampened as they geared up for the biggest match of their lives – playing for Scotland at Hampden. After a brief wait in the Millennium Suite (mostly spent gazing in awe at the sacred pitch), the players made their way to the changing rooms to greet their Celebrity Captains for the day, ex-Internationals Darren Jackson (Home) and Danny McGrain (Away).

Game 1 was a nail biting, nerve tingling thriller, delighting the enthusiastic crowd and certainly continued Scottish Football’s winning weekend in style. The players walked out of the tunnel to the sound of rousing Scottish music and rapturous applause before singing a particularly rallying rendition of the National Anthem.

After kick off, the Away team made full use of the first crucial minutes and attacked hard with striker Thomas Ferns breaking through the Home’s defence after only 7 minutes to score a cracking early goal. Only 5 minutes later, disaster struck for the young striker after a collision caused an injury to his left ankle, ending his brief yet action packed Scotland career.

The Home team took advantage of Away’s misfortune and threw their men forward in search of an equaliser. After some beautiful forward play, their endeavour was rewarded with midfielder Barry Maclure slotting his shot past goalie Steve Wood after 19 minutes. They continued to press and 9 minutes later, snatched the lead after no 8 Craig Martin rounded Wood and confidently pushed the ball into the back of the net.

In the 35th minute, Away came tearing back into the game with 2 breathtaking goals from captain John McCallum in as many minutes. Seconds later, the noisy Hampden crowd were on their feet, as after a remarkable run from the centre line, no 17 Robert Petrie beat the goalie easily to make the half time score 2-4.

The Away team continued to dominate the second half, scoring after only 5 minutes, thanks to a great goal from midfielder Sam Wood. McGrain's side continued to impress with Michael Bowerman's goal 8 minutes later reminiscent of Archie Gemmel’s amazing World Cup goal against Holland in 1978.

The ball ricocheted around midfield at a high rate of knots and some fearsome tackles flew in for the next twenty minutes before Robert Petrie celebrated his second goal after a great pass from John McCallum. All looked lost for the Home squad but like true Scots they rallied, scoring a fantastic goal, thanks to Craig Martin, after 79 minutes to pull back the scoreline. Three minutes before half time, Darren Jackson was delighted to make the final score 4-7 after a great shot into the postage stamp corner, fulfilling his dream of scoring at Hampden.

Man of the match was a tough decision for the Celebrity Captains but finally went to goalie, David Frew for his cool head under pressure and master of the midfield, Craig Mackinnon.

As Grant Gourlay commented after the match, “Playing alongside my childhood hero Danny McGrain was the nearest I will get to Heaven without dying! Just a great, perfect day all round, giving men the chance to be kids again! I would certainly be keen on doing it again!”

Event Photography and Filming - Over 500 fantastic action photos of each match at Hampden are available from Matt Nuttall Photography, please visit his website for full order details –
In addition there is a superb DVD of each game available, these include footage of the pre-match build up as well as full match action and can be ordered by contacting Shane Wilkinson on tel - 07976 509335, or by e-mail at -
A percentage of all these sales will go towards Football Aid’s chosen charities.