Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Hearts 2007

Football Aid Championships, Sunday 1st April, Tynecastle, Att 168

Hearts (Home) 3 Hearts (Away) 4

A glorious 2nd half goal from Black and a double from Byrne gave Hearts Away the edge in a hard fought victory over the Home team in a thrilling start to the 2007 Football Aid Championships at Tynecastle.

The Away side certainly started the brighter, taking the lead after only 1 minute thanks to a golden moment from midfielder Scott. Picking the ball up on the left before cutting inside, his goal was a blinder, rocketing into the top corner past a shocked keeper Liam Butchard.

Barely giving the appreciative crowd time to draw breath, Sandison’s squad went on the rampage again and their aggressive attacking paid off with forward, Nick Byrne netting his first after a delightful through ball from Fraser Duff.

And it didn’t take long for the silky striker to steal his second – pouncing on a rebound to drill home the third goal of the match with only 15minutes on the clock.

However, Home hit back in the 19th minute with some fine forward play. A bright breakaway from Kidd set up an opportunity for midfielder Melvin and while they were unlucky not to capitalise, Borthwick’s men made no such mistake minutes later.

Excellent forward play resulted in Michael Duncan rising to meet a cross from Calder. His header pulled one back for the Home team and buoyed them into action.

Brimming with new found confidence, the Home team hit back hard and while their second goal wasn’t pretty, it allowed a deserving Leon Calder to make the score sheet after a goalmouth scramble on the half hour.

By the 39th minute, Home were level and what a goal this one was. Duncan’s free kick was met by Buglass, who flicked it on into the path of powerhouse Jim Rae, who smacked his strike past Robert Butchard.

The score at half time, a tantalising 3-3.

With both teams determined to win, the second half kicked off at a frantic pace. Hearts Home looked certain to snatch the lead early in the second half after a great cross from Abetini found Buglass perfectly placed in the box. However, his header swung just wide, much to the frustration of manager Walter Borthwick.

Hearts Home continued to press, creating a hatful of chances, with Duncan coming the closest after his free kick hit off the post in the 55th minute. Rae followed suit minutes later, forcing Robert Butchard to pull off a magnificent save to keep the score level.

However, their failure to find that telling final ball proved ultimately to be Home’s downfall and Away took full advantage in the 65th minute. Pool caused the breakthrough, setting striker Black up flawlessly to drive home the winning goal.

The final score a nerve tingling 4-3 to a tenacious Away team

Man of the Match awards went to Michael Duncan in the Home team for a majestic midfield performance and Sean Black for the Away team, whose silky striker skills inspired all!

The Whyte and MacKay ‘Moment of the Match’ was deservingly awarded to Jimmy Scott (Away midfielder) for his rollicking first goal in the 1st minute.

As captain of the Away team, Chrisopher Skene exclaimed after the match, “It was such an amazing and moving day for me and my young family. There is no way I would miss next year’s game!”

Home Team: L Butchard, P Gobbo, W Kidd, C Fusco, M Bone, M Duncan, M Abetini, J Rae, D Buglass, T Melvin, L Calder, J Page, G Willox. Manager: W Borthwick

Away Team: R Butchard, G Robertson, A McLaren, J Sandison, F Duff, B Robertson, G Hanratty, J Scott, M Sinclair, S Black, C Skene, R Black, R Pool, N Byrne, C Anderson, R Kearney.