Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Sheffield Wednesday 2008

Three days after the first team had recorded a vitally important victory against Norwich City, Wednesday fans from all around the country gathered at Hillsborough to experience their 90 minutes of footballing fame. 1st team heroes including Burton and Beevers had hung up their boots for the summer a few days earlier, allowing a new group of Owls legends to take centre stage.

Tuesday 6th May 2008
Sheffield Wednesday Home vs Sheffield Wednesday Away
KO: 6:00 pm
Match Officials: Tom Bramall, Robert Thompson and James Bell

Legends: John Pearson and Lawrie Madden

It was a close game at Hillsborough with both sides having the chance to win the match, but it was the away team that earned the victory with a solitary Adam Watson second-half goal.

The away side enjoyed much of the early possession and home goalkeeper Richard Marsh was on alert for Ian Gilman's cross-come-shot. Shortly after, Steve Manly took a shot on goal for the away team, but failed to test the goalkeeper from long range.

The home side began to find their rhythm mid-way through the first half and were encouraged by some positive build-up play by Jon Dennis. Their first real chance of the match fell to Oliver Glaves but he could not convert his shot at the back post and put it wide. It was one-way traffic for the rest of the half with the away side using the flanks to their advantage. Their chances included Clive Watson from long-range and an Adam Watson header, but neither could break the deadlock.

The home defence stayed strong and limited their opponents to shots from outside the box. Robert Thorpe did well to block a shot for the home side at the end of the half and, despite the influence of the away side's instrumental playmaker Paul Yates, the game was goal-less at the interval.

Half Time: Sheffield Wed Home 0-0 Sheffield Wed Away

After a slow start the second half was brought to life with the first and only goal of the game. Home goalkeeper Marsh failed to hold the ball from a corner and Adam Watson found the back of the net with a deflected reflex shot after the ball fell to him in the box.

It was a deserved lead but the home side were determined to get themselves back into the game. Glaves supplied an effective through-ball but Dean Thorpe's shot was directed straight at away goalkeeper Kent Taylor. Some last-ditch defending from the away defence also kept their team in the game.

The away team also had some promising play but found it difficult in the final third of the pitch. Their goal was scored from a set-piece and they almost managed it again. They were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the area and away captain Ryan Taylor was unfortunate not to score when his effort rattled the crossbar.

Time was running out for the home side to find an equaliser and Oliver Glaves just failed to hit the target with his long-range strike. He was then outdone by one of the best shots of the match when his team-mate Robert Thorpe hit the bar from 25 yards.

Full Time: Sheffield Wed Home 0-1 Sheffield Wed Away

Man of the Match (Home) - Robert Thorpe

Man of the Match (Away) - Maurice Lawson

Moment of the Match - Ian "Elvis" Gilman

Home Team: R. Marsh, P. Spillings, J. Pearson, A. Glaves, R. Thorpe, J. Dennis, D. Thorpe, V. Lonsdale, D. Marsh, K. Smith, O. Glaves, N. Howard, I. Nunnington, James Robinson.

Mascot: Robert Marsh

Away Team: K. Taylor, W. Boot, L. Madden, M. Lawson, C. Watson, P. Yates, A. Watson, I. Gilman, R. Taylor, S. Manly, Jack Robinson, M. Broadbent, M. Worley

Mascot: Thomas Worley


There are a wide selection of fantastic action photos available from Matt Nuttall Photography for this match, please visit his website for full order details.

In addition there is a superb DVD available, it includes footage of the pre-match build up as well as full match action and can be ordered by contacting Shane Wilkinson on tel - 07976 509335, or by e-mail at -

A percentage of all these sales will go towards Football Aid’s nominated charities.