Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Sheffield Wednesday 2007

Football Aid Championships, Monday April 23rd, Hillsborough

Sheffield Wednesday (Home) 1 - Sheffield Wednesday (Away) 2

A goal from striker Oliver Glaves gave Wednesday Away the edge in a hard fought victory over Laws’ Home side in the Sheffield Wednesday leg of the Football Aid Championships.

Wilcox’s men certainly started the brighter, a double save from keeper Taylor quickly followed by a Gagliardi attempt skimming past the post.

Home’s first real chance came in the 20th minute, Barlow latching on to a trademark pinpoint cross from captain Cowlishaw and after trying to shape a cute shot past keeper Marsh, pushing his attempt just wide also.

This set the tone for the remainder of the first half - near misses that left the crowd on the edge of their seats as both teams fought to find that telling final ball.

On the half hour, striker Taylor came close for the Home team, his shot swirling over the bar. Play raged to the other end of the pitch where Glaves’ fiery attempt was bravely saved by Kent.

Shortly afterwards, Carruthers’ great shot was securely saved by Marsh while Kent was at full stretch to tip midfielder Bowring’s powerful strike over the bar.

By now, tensions were riding high and the two ex-pros clashed in spectacular fashion - Laws finding himself floored by Wilcox in a late tackle.

It was in fact Wilcox’s dogged determination that broke the deadlock just before half time. Substitute Garner perfectly setting up the former star who confidently slotted home his first time shot from the edge of the box.

Laws’ men came blazing out the blocks in the second half, hungry for the all important equaliser. Skipper Cowlishaw was working hard, making a magnificent tackle in the box to prevent Away from lengthening their lead in the 9th minute and helping to set up an attack of their own - Barlow’s resulting attempt flashing just wide.

Laws was up next and while his shot was on target, it lacked pace and fell straight into the arms of Marsh.

Watson’s chance met the same fate. Following some great forward play, the striker fired a tempting cross into the box but with no support, the ball was easily scooped up by Marsh.

The equaliser came in the 73rd minute, substitute Dennis unleashing a beauty of a cross into the box. Midfielder Gabbitas managed to get his head to the ball and nudge it past Marsh much to the delight of the Home crowd.

However, their celebrations were short lived as Away, casting off their defensive shackles, came firing back into the game.

Catching the Home defence napping, Glaves charged downfield, letting rip with a glorious shot that slipped under keeper Taylor, and crashed into goal. The silky striker nearly made it 3-1 minutes later, his fierce attempt clattering into the sidenetting.

The Home fans rose to their feet with only 10 minutes to go when an unmarked Carruthers found the ball at his feet in the box. His attempt skimmed over the bar and signaled for a nail biting finale as the Home team tried their all for an equaliser. In the dying minutes, Carruthers valiantly reached a Dennis corner but the ever vigilant Marsh was in position to safely hold the header.

The final score, a hard fought 1-2.

Full Time: Home 1 (Gabbitas 73) – Away 2 (Wilcox 40. Glaves 75)

Home Team: K.Taylor, N.Carruthers, B.Laws, C.Mallard, R.Cowlishaw, S.Barlow, R.Wileman, S.Major, S.Hartley, M.Gabbitas, R.Taylor, I.Brown, C.Watson, J.Dennis, K.Cameron.

Mascot: Ben Brown.

Away Team: R.Marsh, V.Lonsdale, R.Wilcox, D.Thorpe, R.Thorpe, A.Glaves, A.Jones, C.Cooke, O.Glaves, R.Bowring, D.Gagliardi, W.Garner, C.Rea, D.Paris.

Mascot: Ted Lonsdale