Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Norwich City 2006

Football Aid Championships, Monday 15th May, Carrow Road, Att 101

Norwich City (Home) 3 Norwich City (Away) 2

Norwich City Home came back from behind twice to snatch a late victory over legend Goss’ Away squad in the Canaries leg of the Football Aid Championships.

The Away team started the brighter immediately testing Home’s defence. The first real scoring chance occurred in the 8th minute after some great interplay from Ireson and Alexander. Failing to find space and with the Home defence swarming round him, Alexander passed a solid ball to a well-placed Evans whose shot went skimming past the goal.

Minutes later, Ireson helped bring the ball forward again, this time using the skills of fellow striker Barrett. Careful passing saw Barrett onside in front of goal and he steered the ball beyond Payne to hand Away the lead.

The goal pushed the Home team into action and they retaliated swiftly with an aggressive counter attack. The Away defence did well in the 20th minute to fend off two dangerous encounters but under pressure five minutes later, conceded a free kick. Legend Fleck stepped up and showed the crowd why he was the leading goal scorer in four consecutive seasons for the Canaries. He shot screamed past the wall and the keeper to slam into goal and bring the Home squad back into the game.

The Home team looked far more confident for the remainder of the first half but despite their best efforts, the score remained 1-1 going into the break.

Away looked certain to snatch the lead early in the second half after a hand ball in the penalty area. Payne, much to the frustration of Away player/ manager Jeremy Goss, magnificently saved the spot kick.

The game remained a deadlock until the 78th minute despite both teams pressing hard for goal. Skipper Mark Tyler caused the breakthrough, a great shot, which sailed out of Payne’s reach and into goal.

But Away’s celebrations were short-lived as once more legend Fleck fired his team into life. The equaliser arrived 3 minutes later and in spectacular fashion as Fleck’s fantastic 25 yard drive whizzed past a diving Matthew Ball before nestling into the back of the net.

A frantic finale ensured as both teams pressed hard for goal. Tensions were riding high and reached boiling point when striker Maclure was sent off with only 5 minutes to go. Despite being down the 10 men, Home continued to charge forward and David Negri proved to be their saviour with his last gasp goal sealing victory for the valiant side.

The final score a nerve tingling 3-2 to a tenacious Home team.

As David Negri commented after the match, “A great day! Scored the winner and now I can die a happy man, fulfilling my lifelong dream to play at Carrow Road. Thanks again, Football Aid for an unforgettable experience!”

Away Team: D.Kavanagh, L.King, P.Ramsey, P.Nevis, I.Pearce, M.Fraser, D.Mackenzie, D.Robinson, P.Chin, P.Anastasi, P.Cragg, A.Landers, P.Whitby