Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Leeds United Game 1 2007

Football Aid Championships, Saturday May 5th, Elland Road

Leeds United (Home) 2 Leeds United (Away) 2

A stunning late goal from Sam Wood earned Leeds Home a 2-2 draw at Elland Road in this highly charged leg of the Football Aid Championships.

And it was Snodin’s outfit who had the first worthwhile attack through Herbert in the 3rd minute, the striker controlling a high ball before blasting a shot over the bar from the edge of the area.

Away retaliated with a near miss themselves – Marsh’s strike going wide only two minutes later. This set the tone for the next 20 minutes of the half, both teams enjoying equal opportunities and play particularly fierce in the middle of the park as the sides battled for the ball.

Coulson was next up for the Home team- his strike inched over Daniels crossbar while his opposite number, Bartle came close shortly after. Great interplay between Horn and Bartle gave the midfielder a strong chance in the 19th minute but keeper Thornton was alive to the threat and blocked Bartle’s resulting shot.

Sweeney almost scored the opener on the half hour, latching on to a fantastic pass from Snodin, but the defender swept his chance wide and they were definitely rueing their missed opportunities 5 minutes later, when Away’s Beaumont broke the deadlock in style.

Skipper Horn assisted, sending a pinpoint cross to the silky striker who attacked the far post with his shot, the ball streaking out of Thornton’s reach into goal.

However, much to the delight of the Home fans, Windle snatched the equaliser on the stroke of half time when the Away side conceded a penalty for a hand ball in the box. Windle coolly slotting the ball into the left corner, sending a diving Daniels the wrong way.

The second half was a superb skirmish as both teams fought hard for victory. Again, it was Snodin’s men who started the brighter, testing the Away defence straight after the restart with a dangerous cross from the left. Midfielder Lobley did well to clear and team mate Smith also deserves a mention for a great interception minutes later, once more denying the determined Home side.

The Away team whistled into the lead however, capitalising on their first real chance of the second half. A great through ball released James Dove who made a surging run up field before releasing the sweetest strike past Thornton’ s reach to make it 1-2.

Dove almost nabbed a second just minutes later, breaking free of the pack once more but his attempt was comfortable saved by Thornton.

Snodin’s men continued to press, Hartley breaking down the right in what looked to be a golden opportunity but Away were defending strongly, in particular Smith who was having a great game.

All looked lost for the Home squad until the dying minutes when Wood produced the ‘moment of the match’. The much searched for equaliser was a cracker - a fantastic shot from 25 yards which curled into the top corner leaving Daniels with no chance.

Seconds later, Levine looked to have scored the winner for Snodin’s side but the ever vigilant Smith made an amazing last ditch tackle to clear the danger and leave the final score a fitting 2-2 draw.

Man of the Match: (H) Lee Windle (A) Paul Smith

Moment of the Match: Sam Woods Goal for Home Side.

Home Team: J.Lee Thornton, M.Sweeny, I.Snodin, M.Philips, D.Sweetman, S.Coulson, L.Hartley, K.Domonkos, M.Levine, L.Windle, P.Herbert, S.Wood, D.Chapman, K.Furnival, J.Coggan

Mascot: Thomas Windle

Away Team: A.Daniels, A.Dove, D.Barford, P.Smith, A.Bartle, D.Marsh, S.Lobley, S.Horn, S.Henry, N.Beaumont, P.Milligan, J.Dove, T.Peters, A.Bartle

Mascot: Ryan Marsh