Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Arsenal Game 1 2006

Wednesday 7th June, Highbury, Att 197

Arsenal (Home) 5 Arsenal (Away) 2

late surge handed Arsenal Home victory in a compelling match that saw a battling Away side fade in the dying moments of the Arsenal FC leg of the Football Aid Championships.

A tentative start from both sides made for a quiet opening quarter with barely a clear cut chance created. However, the match livened up in the 22nd minute when, after a great run from skipper Shields, midfielder Coen gave Arsenal Home the lead with a stinging shot that roared into the roof of the net.

6 minutes later, the Home side should have scored again as striker Tierney tricked his way into the box but the attempt skimmed past the post.

It proved a costly miss as Arsenal Away equalised in the 37th minute thanks to a Mark Kingston strike, a beautiful shot that swirled into the top left hand corner of goal.

The next five minutes were frantic as both sides fought hard to steal the lead coming into the break. The Home team triumphed in the 43rd minute when Tierney made no mistake with his second effort, thumping the ball home to make the score 2-1 at half time.

Arsenal Away started the brighter in the second half with Kingston once again equalising to bring his team back into the game. But his solo effort wasn’t to be enough.

On the half hour, the game once more turned in Home’s favour. Skipper Shields surged down the left flank, taking the ball all the way before firing a ferocious shot past Fisher.

Inspired by their captain, the Home team took control of the match, piling on the pressure with sweeping attacks on goal. The Away team bravely held on but with 5 minutes to go, the cracks in Away’s defence began to show.

Shields was once more in on the action, perfectly positioned outside the penalty area to unleash a dipping volley that lashed past an over worked Fisher. And with one minute to go, Home sealed their emphatic victory when substitute William’s rather soft effort was deflected by a despairing Fisher into goal. The final score 5-2.

As Brendan Tierney commented after the match, “Thank you for such an amazing experience, I really enjoyed the whole evening. The day itself was lovely and relaxed and well organised right down to the lovely post-match sandwiches. I would advise any dedicated fan to give it a go and the money is a small price to pay for such an experience – I suppose scoring a goal helped make it more memorable and I still want video evidence to be called in for that first goal which was disallowed!! Hopefully I'll see you in the emirates next year!”