Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Leicester City 2006

Saturday 13th May, The Walkers Stadium, Att 178

Leicester City (Home) 2 Leicester City (Away) 4

A blazing first half performance by Leicester City Away was enough to secure victory over a hardworking Home side in the thrilling Leicester City leg of the Football Aid Championships.

The Home team started the brighter enjoying several chances in the first 15 minutes but failed to find that telling final ball. Midfielder Shoaib came the closest with his stinging strike forcing keeper McClelland to pull off a magnificent save to prevent Home from taking an early lead.

Ramsey’s men were quiet until just after the half hour when they enjoyed one of their first real chance of the match. Home midfielder Sharps passed a weak ball back to keeper Ball which striker Siega was quick to run onto. Ball managed to clear the resulting scramble, saving Sharps blushes and keeping the score at nil-nil.

Minutes later, however, Away were on the attack again. After some good forward play, Mathers sent a perfect ball into the penalty area and substitute Ingham made a dream like start to the game slotting the ball confidently past Ball to give Away the lead.

Their second goal looked to be arriving only a minute later when striker Siega found himself unmarked and with time on his hands in the area. Much to the relief of the Home team, his attempt skimmed wide of the post but Ogilvie’s men were by no means in the clear.

A tense goalmouth scramble in the 43rd minute saw striker Whitby (with a little help from Home’s John Vint) finally pushing the ball over the line to double Away’s score and seconds later the game was effectively wrapped up.

Midfielder Mathers pounced on a loose ball and took off down the left wing. Dancing past Home’s defence, he fired a ferocious strike past keeper Ball to make the half time score 3-0 to a rampant Away side.

With Away happy to hold onto their commanding lead, the second half kicked off at a slower pace. Midfielder Shoaib was delighted to pull one back for the Home team in the 53rd minute, a deftly taken side footed goal which swung out of McClelland’s reach into the back of the net. But they could not gain full control of the match and Away retaliated 5 minutes later with a goal from Edward Birch.

Steve Griffin beautifully played in substitute Williams on the half hour to make the score line 2-4 and despite a frantic final 15 minutes which saw the Home side using desperate attempts to level the score, (including bribing the referee for a fake penalty in the 90th minute!), the Away team held on for a deserving victory.

As Andrew Scott commented after the match, “I had a great day on Saturday. The whole day was fantastic from the build up to the game through the stadium tour and the pitch inspection to seeing a shirt with my name and number hanging up in the changing rooms. Running out onto the pitch for the warm-up with my family and friends in the crowd was amazing. Of course the match was the highlight of the day, and kicking the ball for first time on the pitch was just great. The only downside of the day was hurting my back doing a sliding tackle! But, this has not put me off and I will be back next year!”