Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Leeds United Game 2 2006

Wednesday 10th May, Elland Road

Leeds United (Home) 3 Leeds United (Away) 2

Luckily the sun was still shining for the second leg of Football Aid’s jaunt to Elland Road. An even game saw the Home team get lucky and steal the points, ending 3-2.

Another good crowd filled the stands, with some keen punters even staying on from the first game. Still, Kalwant Sandhu had come all the way from The States so he had nothing much else to do!

Mark Philips, goalkeeper for the Home team showed how indispensable he was going to be with a great save in only the 4th minute of the game. Both teams started off with intent but after that early shot on goal by the Away team, it was the Home team who looked like breaking the deadlock first. No 11 Wharin squeezing the ball under Away keeper Lee Dane only to see it rebound off the post.

Play continued to rage from end to end, with both sides failing to take advantage of a number of chances. No 16 for the away team, Oddy had a strike cleared off the line by eventual Man of the Match for the Home side, Sweetman.

A substitution in the first half by the Home team and ginger genius Craven’s first touch in midfield was pure class, but his effort was swiftly cut out. Unfortunately that was to be his only touch as a twisted knee forced him to the sideline and tragically cut short his game.

By the 37th Minute, the Home team were stringing together a few nice passes. Mactaggart trying a speculative toe poke, which landed in the keeper’s arms, Wharin through on goal but shooting wide, and Sheridan Henry frustrating with some threaded through balls.

The Away defence held firm and going in at half time the score was 0-0

That score was to quickly change after the re-start. A goalmouth scramble left keeper Philips unsighted, enabling Andy Bartle to be the first player on the score-sheet: 0-1.

Meanwhile Scott Lefley saw a shot go skyward for the Home team and Away midfielder Wall saw his shot blocked in the 51st minute.

Both keepers had some great saves to keep their side in the match and an offside decision for the Away team in the 70th minute kept the score the same. Lee Dane showing the form that won him the Man of the Match award for the Away team.

Not for long though – Henry’s persistence for the Home team finally paid off with a power drive beating Dane and nestling in the back of the net: all square 1-1.

The luck of the Irish seemed to have deserted the Away team’s Gerald Byrne when he went down with a head knock shortly after but he recovered well and soldiered on for the rest of the game.

The excitement continued in the 78th minute when midfielder Paul Herbert saw his low shot end up in the back of the net after an unfortunate mistake by the away keeper: 2-1.

Playing in his second game of the day, Dan “Beno” Bentham had a shot that was touched wide by keeper Philips. The Away team caught a glimmer of hope when Wall found himself being fouled in the box - Wall himself took the resulting penalty and balanced the score once more: 2-2.

By this time the match was drawing to a close but not before No 11 Home, Sam Wharin had made up for his earlier misses to slot the ball home and win the game for the Home team. An exciting finish saw both sides really go for it but the final whistle blew on what had been a finely poised game; final score 3-2.