Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Celtic Game 1 2005

Football Aid Championship, Sunday 15th May, Parkhead, Kick off 11.30, att 300


A hop across the Central Belt and the Football Aid team arrived in Glasgow for the Celtic leg of the Football Aid Championship. Unusually for Scotland, the sun came out in force with many players joking on arrival that sun cream and breathing apparatus was going to be required to combat the heat!

A feast of legends were waiting to greet the players when they arrived into the changing rooms. For the Home side, Bertie Auld acted as Manager with Darren Jackson as Captain whilst the Away team met their Manager Joe McBride and Captain (and Football Aid’s Vice Patron) Danny McGrain.

After inspiring team talks, the game kicked off and quickly developed into a highly charged match. Both sides were determined to win and the first half enjoyed some spectacular goals. After only 6 minutes, following some beautiful forward play, Danny McGrain’s side were the first to hit the back of the net with a beauty from Stephen Cassidy. However, the Home side quickly retaliated with striker Raymond Quinn scoring minutes later to even the scoreline.

The game reached fever pitch 15 minutes before half time with 3 goals scored in as many minutes. Richard Caplan gave the Home side the lead in the 29th minute only for Stephen Docherty to snatch it back a minute later. The crowd looked on in disbelief as the Away team continued to take the lead after Scott Gilligan rounded the keeper to make the score 2 - 3 at half time.

The second half kicked off at the same breathtaking pace to the delight of the appreciative crowd. Determined to even the score, the Home team attacked hard and it was Gary Quinn who finally rounded the ever vigilant keeper Brien Trainor in the 61st minute. Only three minutes later, Richard Caplan secured the lead for the Home side with a cheeky shot past Gordon Fenton. Celebrations for the Home side were short lived though as ten minutes later, Thomas Ferns scored for the Away team, bringing the game again to a deadlock. The final few minutes left the crowd speechless as 4 minutes from full time, Raymond Quinn scored his second and match winning goal. The final whistle blew to deafening applause signalling the end to Football Aid’s most exciting match of the season.

Man of the match was a tough decision for the Celebrity Managers but finally awarded to goalie Gordon Fenton (Home) for his match winning saves and majestic midfielder John McCallum (Away) As Stephen Docherty commented after the match, “The day was fantastic and I cannot thank Football Aid enough for making my dream come true. It was amazing and I can’t stop talking about it! There is no way the day could be enhanced from arrival to departure. We were all well taken care of and it felt amazing just walking around where my heroes play, never mind then playing! I’ve caught the bug so see you next year!”

Event Photography and Filming - Over 500 fantastic action photos of each match at Celtic Park are available from Matt Nuttall Photography, please visit his website for full order details –
In addition there is a superb DVD of each game available, these include footage of the pre-match build up as well as full match action and can be ordered by contacting Shane Wilkinson on tel - 07976 509335, or by e-mail at -
A percentage of all these sales will go towards Football Aid’s chosen charities.