Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Everton Game 2 2008

A warm evening provided the platform for the second Football Aid game of the day at Goodison Park. The first event was won by the Away Team, and so it was now up to the Home Team to even up the scores. Lining up where Joleon Lescott and Ayegbeni Yakubu had been only 4 days previously was an obvious thrill for the twenty-five Toffee fans, however more thrills were only moments away...

Thursday 15th May 2008
Everton Home vs Everton Away
Game 2
Goodison Park
KO: 18:00 pm
Legend: Stuart Barlow

Both teams shot off to a great start, and after ten minutes gone it was clear that this was going to continue to be a fast-paced game. The first free kick of the game, perhaps ironically, was taken by Away Team legend Stuart Barlow, however not even this ex-toffee legend could survive the curse of hitting the bar.

Gerald Powell did well to control and maintain the ball, resulting in a great chance for the Home Team just before the twenty minute mark. The midfielder tried to pass the Away defense of Gareth Lloyd and Wesley O'Brien, however the defenders persisted to keep the ball from the back of the net, and it was ultimately cleared away for a corner. A consequential goal was prevented, but only just as Simon Glanville managed to clear the threat from the goal line.

The ball seemed to be an end-to-end game in the first part of the first half, as the game raced to the other end of the pitch. This time, striker Andrew Glanville had a great chance to put the Away team ahead, however Home Keeper Richard Roberts thought otherwise, and he quickly came out of his box to collect the wondering ball. His save however did not prevail as moments later, a free kick from 20 yards found the back of the net, and this time Andrew Glanville's powerful shot opened up the score line.

The Home team were quick to retaliate, however a great through ball by John Cotton to striker Barry Parr was made void when the Away Team's Gareth Lloyd made a superb challenge to knock the ball out for a corner. Mark Byrne also had a great chance to equalize, however his shot was hit wide off the post. With all this action going on, it would have been hard not to notice the amount of noise created by the fantastic supporters that had been invited to witness the spectacle, and who helped to create a fantastic atmosphere for the players.

Unfortunately for the Home side, Ian Dermott succeeded with his chance to make it two nil, with a sublime chip into the goal from 25 yards out, the Captain leaving the pitch at half time, leading by example.

Half Time: Everton Home 0-2 Everton Away

Much like the start to the first half, the first ten minutes was anyone's game, and both teams had embroiled in a very competitive opening. The Away Keeper, Gary Mangan had one of his busiest spells of the game, making some fantastic saves to keep the score at 2-0. John Cotton again applied pressure to the Away defence, and produced a fantastic strike from 25 yards out, however his effort struck the post, and this ‘certain' goal bounced back into play.

It was Everton legend Stuart Barlow who set up a great chance for the Away team to move further into the lead. His cross to the far post was met by Andrew Glanville, and the striker did what he had to make them three-nil up.

The Home Team were still restricted to challenging, and rarely looked a threat in spite of their best efforts. This in turn nearly caused a forth goal for the Away Team, as a free kick taken by half time substitute David McMahon was just slightly over the bar. However minutes later, poor clearance followed by a defensive mix up by the Home Team led to Ian Dermott slotting the ball home for a second time from the edge of the box.

Luck was not on the Home side as they were denied a penalty for what looked like a clear hand-ball. The Home Team were clearly more determined to get their long-awaited goal, however a great attempt on the volley by Barry Parr was well saved by the keeper.

Finally it came, Dave Holiday ran into a pass at the back post, and managed to coolly head the ball into the back of the net to get the Home Team onto the scoreboard. The Home side sought to quickly snatch a second goal, with a great long range effort by Bob Thorpe, which was pushed over the bar by Gary Mangan.

The Away team had the last shot on goal before the full time whistle, with James Bransford, who has already played a full ninety minute game in the afternoon, finding space and creating an excellent opportunity to see the Away Team reclaim their 4-goal lead. The striker however dragged his shot wide, and Robert Richards quickly sent the ball back into play, to no avail. The Away team's comfortable victory meant that it was victory all round for the team in white, and it will be another year before the Home Team will be able to challenge for that acknowledgement.

Full Time: Everton Home 1 - 4 Everton Away

Man of the Match (Home) - Robert Thorpe

Man of the Match (Away) - Andrew Glanville

Moment of the Match - Ian Dermott

Home Team: Richards, Gormley, Byrne, Thorpe, Cotton, Powell, Howe,
Cunningham (c), O'Reilly, Parr, Holiday SUBS: Stein, Sherlock

Mascot: Alfie Cunningham

Away Team: Mangan, Marjoram, Barlow, O'Brien, Lloyd, Dermott (c), Clinton, Osgathorp, Bransford, S. Glanville, A. Glanville SUBS: Halsall, McMahon, Taylor

Mascot: Ellie Taylor


There are a wide selection of fantastic action photos available from Matt Nuttall Photography for this match, please visit his website for full order details.

In addition there is a superb DVD available, it includes footage of the pre-match build up as well as full match action and can be ordered by contacting Shane Wilkinson on tel - 07976 509335, or by e-mail at -

A percentage of all these sales will go towards Football Aid’s nominated charities.