Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

England vs Scotland 2017

Goodison Park was the venue for the famous Auld Enemy clash between England and Scotland on Thursday 18th May and it was Scotland who prevailed after a brilliant 2nd half of attacking football saw them beat England 3-5. Both teams could be rightly proud of their efforts, the contest saw both sides attack from the first minute to the last and tackle the game in a competitive but sporting spirit.

Date: Thursday 18th May 2017
Venue: Goodison Park
England (Home) vs Scotland (Away)
Kick Off: 18:00 pm
Legends & Managers: David Unsworth and Kevin Gallacher
Match Officials: Alan Butler, Callum Jones, Jack Maher & Jack Deakin

After rousing renditions of God Save the Queen and The Flower of Scotland (click here to watch a video) the teams were ready to do battle! England started the match the brightest, registering the first shot on target when James Booker’s volley bounced awkwardly in front of keeper Gerry McGill, but the Scotland keeper held onto the ball well.

The Scots pulled no punches in the tackling department, and Captain Jon Mitchell put in some tough, but fair, challenges to stop the England attack.

And the up for it Scotland team almost opened the scoring on 10 mins, John Stott’s arrowed strike was firmly palmed away by keeper Dean Gillon, who then had to get down smartly to save the rebound from Plamen Nikolov.

Scotland then won their first free kick of the game after John Stott won the foul, and the confident midfielder stepped up and brilliantly dispatched the ball into the top corner, leaving the keeper stranded and putting his side ahead after 15 mins (0-1)!

However within minutes England hit back with an equalising goal. A great run down the line from Billy Lennox allowed him the space to whip a dangerous cross into the box which found Andrew Vipond running in at the back post, and the energetic No 7 volleyed the ball in from close range on 18 mins (1-1).

England’s defence was being put under constant pressure from Scotland, but the backline managed to keep them from scoring after a quick succession of chances for the Away side.

Despite the pressure, England went ahead for the first time in the match right on the half hour mark. A lung-busting run down the line from Andrew Vipond made space for him to square the ball across goal to James Booker, and the No 10 calmly slid the ball past the keeper and into the net (2-1).

The England team were buoyed by their lead and it took another vital tackle from Captain Jon Mitchell to prevent them going further ahead, the defender bravely blocking Howard Jessop’s strike when it looked like he just had the keeper to beat.

The Three Lions were starting to get some momentum with the half nearing its end, and Scotland keeper Gerry McGill was called into action multiple times to keep England from scoring again. However the impressive stopper was up to the challenge and he kept his side from falling further behind

At the other end we had an impressive save for the cameras from England keeper Dean Gillon, who needed to tip Kev Wright’s looping effort over the bar.

That was to be the final action of the half and the whistle brought an end an exciting first half soon after. Both teams had created plenty of chances and exhibited some good football. England were going into the 2nd half 2-1 up but it was still all to play for and the game looked too close to call.

Half time: England 2 - 1 Scotland

After some inspiring words from their Playing Legend Kevin Gallacher the Scotland team started the second half with intent, attacking straight from the whistle and eager to get their equalising goal.

With Scotland pressing so high up the pitch, England found themselves on a quick counter attack when Billy Lennox was let loose with nothing but green in front of him, and the lively striker slid the ball to James Booker who, with just the keeper to beat from close range, was denied by a quick-thinking save from Gerry McGill who got down smartly.

Gerry McGill was then called into action soon after when an England attacker found himself 1-on-1 and forced McGill to dive quickly and turn the ball away after a close range strike.

Play was raging from end to end and on the 62nd minute Scotland got the vital goal to put them level after a chipped ball into the box by Plamen Nikolov was met by Ian Watson, the skillful striker collecting the ball in his stride and brilliantly volleying it past the keeper Dean Gillon, high into the net (2-2).

Not long after their equalising goal, Scotland deservedly went ahead. Dale Johnston showed great pace down the line, cut into the box, and rifled the ball underneath the keeper at the near post (2-3). With 68 mins on the clock, the Away team were back in front.

The Three Lions came roaring back though and they had a golden opportunity to score when Danny Cheng launched the ball into the box from a free kick and the ball dropped to Billy Lennox, however his header went narrowly wide, much to the relief of the Scotland defence.

Scotland then found their 2 goal cushion on the 70th min, after Christopher Ward found Darren Macleod, and the energetic midfielder turned brilliantly and hammered his strike Home into the net from a tight angle (2-4).

The England team weren’t giving up though and a powerful strike from James Booker then had to be palmed over the bar by Gerry McGill, the keeper reacting quickly to maintain his side’s two goal lead.

Then some quick feet from Scotland’s Ian Watson on 75 mins allowed him space in the box and the striker blasted the ball into the top corner with his left foot, leaving the keeper helpless (2-5).

After a devastating 2nd half performance from Scotland the game looked over as a contest, however England got a goal back to restore some hope on the 85th min, when Andrew Vipond’s cross found Billy Lennox at the back post, who powered his header past the keeper into the roof of the net (3-5).

However it was not to be for the England team and the full time whistle brought to a close an exciting, end-to-end match, where both teams showed great character, battling from the 1st min to the last. Scotland would walk away from Goodison Park 3-5 winners, after scoring some fantastic goals to comeback from 2-1 at half-time. England showed determination throughout and created a lot of good chances, though not enough to outscore the classy Scots.

Full time: England 3 - 5 Scotland

Man of the Match Home: No.11 Billy Lennox
Man of the Match Away: No.2 Darren Macleod
Moment of the Match: No.9 Ian Watson

England Team: Dean Gillon (C), David Brown, Stephen Dowling, Keith Higgins, Bryan Adams, Andrew Vipond, Danny Cheng, Daniel Mitchell, James Booker, Billy Lennox,
Thomas Eaton, Keith Higgins (H5), Howard Jessop, Steven Hodge
Manager: David Unsworth
Mascot: Kaden Vipond

Scotland Team: Gerry McGill, Darren Macleod, Kevin Gallacher, Alan Jope, Jon Mitchell (C), Christopher Ward, Plamen Nikolov, Kevin Robertson, Ian Watson,
John Stott, Kev Wright, Darren Macleod (A2), Mark Johnston, Phil Smiley, Dale Johnston
Manager: Not Applicable
Mascot: Luke Mitchell

Match report written by Joshua Brimble.

The photographs used in this report were taken on staff mobile phones. A wider selection of fantastic Official Photographs are available from Matt Nuttall Photography. To order just visit or contact Matt on T: 07793 818021 or E:

If you'd like to order a DVD of your game please contact – Chillpics' Shane Wilkinson, Freelance Cameraman & Photographer on Tel: 07901 590723 or E-mail:


"This was my first time and it was absolutely amazing. I'll definitely be back next year."
Andrew Vipond - England Team No.7

"Totally brilliant day, made even better with a Scotland win and also scoring at the Club I support."
Darren Macleod - Scotland Team No.2

"Enjoyed our day. Jon playing football and Luke the mascot – great times!"
Jon Mitchell (C) - Scotland Team Captain & No.5

"Awesome day as always with Football Aid. Loved the result."
Kev Wright - Scotland Team No.11

"Fantastic day! Brilliant to play on the same pitch as Neville Southall."
Gerry McGill – Scotland Team No.1