Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

West Ham Game 2 2016

Our 2nd game of the day, and last ever Football Aid game at the Boleyn Ground, was another emotional one for the fans involved and there were definitely a few tears shed at the end, as the Hammers fans said goodbye to the much loved ground that had been West Ham United’s home for 112 years. The match itself was a tight affair and ended in a closely-fought victory for the Away team, who took the honours 1-3.

Date: Wednesday 18th May 2016
Venue: Boleyn Ground
West Ham (Home) vs West Ham (Away)
Kick Off: 14:00 pm
Match Officials: Mark Mellor, Gavin Muge, Scott Ottaway & Peter Cruise

The Away team won the choice of kick off and started off our 2nd game of the day at the iconic Boleyn Ground.

Both teams started brightly but it was the Away team who were the more attacking of the two teams, but they couldn’t create anything more then half-chances.

The closest they came in the early stages was when Away No 9 Lee Healey saw his headed effort from Away No 11 Matthew Leach’s assist end up in the back of the net in the 15th min, but he was ruled marginally offside.

Then with 18 mins on the clock we got our 1st goal of the game. Following an Away team corner, the Home side defended well and quickly responded with a counter-attack of their own, Home No 8 Danny Shewring pounced on a defensive mistake before being challenged by the keeper, the challenge saw the ball fall into the path of Home No 7 James Sanders and the midfielder fired the ball into the net making it (1-0).

The Home side nearly doubled their lead when No 9 and Captain Chris Ludlow latched onto a through ball from No 10 George Bennett, but the striker was only fractionally offside.

The Away side kept pushing for an equaliser but couldn’t get past the Home defence. A powerful strike from Away No 10 and Captain Daniele Dussoni forced the Home No 1 Kevin Rabey to dive to his right to keep the ball out.

However they got a deserved equaliser in the 33rd min when Away No 10 Daniele Dussoni latched on to a long ball before rounding the goalkeeper to slot the ball coolly home (1-1).

Both teams were very strong defensively meaning shots at goal were only coming from a distance, Away No 5 Chris Hayman was the next to try his luck from range but couldn’t get his well struck shot on target.

The Away team were getting stronger as the half came towards the end. Away No 10 Daniele Dussoni tried his luck from a 25-yard free kick but the Home team wall stood strong.

That was the last significant action of a closely fought first half, a 1-1 score line reflecting both teams’ great defensive work and organisation.

Half Time: West Ham (Home) 1 - 1 West Ham (Away)

The Home team restarted the 2nd half kicking from left to right, determined to break the stalemate.

But it was the Away team who started the half brighter and their 1st chance of the 2nd half came after some nice team play between Away No 9 Lee Healey & No 17 Paul Robertson, Paul found himself one-on-one and tried to cheekily chip Home No 1 Kevin Rabey, who pulled off a fantastic fingertip save. However the keeper couldn’t do anything about the rebound, which was picked up and drilled into the net by Away No 7 Stephen Dukelow in the 53rd min (1-2).

The Away team were impressing with their attacking play and they kept creating chances. Away No 10 Daniele Dussoni found him through on goal but the angle of his shot meant he saw it travel just past the far post.

A great chance then fell for Away No 11 Matthew Leach, the striker found himself free in the middle of the box and controlled the ball well, but he couldn’t keep his shot down and saw it going over the bar.

However with 80 mins on the clock No 11 Matthew Leach made up for that near miss! The striker found himself free at the far post, controlled the ball well before slotting past the keeper from a tight angle to make it (1-3).

Despite all their efforts to get back into the game the Home team couldn’t muster a comeback and the game ended soon after with the Away team victorious with a score-line of 1-3. It was a fantastic way to end the 2nd game of the day & also the last Football Aid game to be played at the Boleyn Ground.

Huge thank you to all the players who have lived the dream this year and in previous years; also a huge thanks to all at West Ham Utd FC for allowing us access to the Boleyn Ground throughout the years. We hope the move to the Olympic Stadium is a successful one and we hope to join you there one day!

Full Time: West Ham (Home) 1 - 3 West Ham (Away)

Man of the Match Home: Danny Shewring
Man of the Match Away: Paul Robertson
Moment of the Match: Daniele Dussoni

Home Team: Kevin Rabey, Derek McLeod, Alessandro Ricci, Alessandro Puppo, Bini David, James Sanders, Danny Shewring, Chris Ludlow (C), George Bennett, Bryan Steers, James Thorne, Andrew McGrory, Michael Meany, Clive Marcus
Home Mascot: Kieran Ludlow

Away Team: Vladimiro Lovadina, Joel Sibley, Alexander Healey, Chris Hayman, Chris Ososki, Stephen Dukelow, David Doninotti, Lee Healey, Daniele Dussoni (C), Matthew Leach, Craig Brown, Stuart Patience, Joel Sibley (A2), Paul Robertson
Away Mascot: Maddison Healey

Match Report written by Matt Annis