Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Wolves 2015

The Wolves 2015 game at Molineux kicked off in perfect conditions, with the playing surface looking immaculate and the sun shining brightly. The match lived up to the conditions as well, with a high standard match providing chances galore and plenty of great saves from both keepers as well. The Wolves Home team came out on top 3-2, with Martyn Barnett's last minute penalty winning it for the team in Gold and Black, however the Away team played their part in a fantastic game for the spectators. 

Date: Tuesday 12th May 2015
Venue: Molineux
Wolves (Home) vs Wolves (Away)
Kick Off: 18:30 pm
Legends/Managers: Matt Murray, Jody Craddock, Seyi Olofinjana & Adam Proudlock
Match Officials: Phil Taylor, Vic Kelly, Gary Taylor & Phil Dawes

The Home team got the match underway on a sunny afternoon and 5 mins in they had almost broken the deadlock. Centre forward and Football Aid legend Lee Waterfall got through on goal; however, just as he shaped to shoot he was thwarted by a stunning last-ditch sliding tackle from Away full back Kanu Patel. Up the other end only moments later, the Home team came very close to conceding to their opponents. Goalkeeper Geoff Knight’s throw accidentally fell straight to the feet of winger Daniel Whitehouse whose audacious chip was just palmed wide by the sprawling Knight.

Just over 10 mins in and the Away team came agonisingly close to taking the lead when Wolves Legend Adam Proudlock snuck through on goal. He nut-megged the defender on the edge of the box, skipped to his right but his low, side-footed shot just hit the foot of the post, much to goalie Knight’s delight.

The game was exciting, end-to-end stuff now and the Home team almost took advantage of Proudlock’s miss when centre mid Edward Ryan found himself through on goal. However his powerful strike was dragged just past the right-hand post. Away Goalkeeper Robert Smith then demonstrated his abilities with a great diving save from Mark Taylor, after the Home striker had been set free in the box by Martyn Barnett. 

The woodwork came into play again soon afterwards, this time denying Home forward Lee Waterfall. A brilliant, floated cross came into the box from the right by Dave Taylor and in came Waterfall, his bullet-header flew over goalie Robert Smith but it struck the underside of the crossbar and was cleared out for a corner. Minutes later and the big No 9 had a great chance to break the deadlock again, however he was denied by a fantastic sliding tackle from Liam Flecknor.

Half an hour into the game and the Home team were denied the lead again, this time by Away goalie Smith. A corner came in from the left side by winger Martin McLeod, flicked on by centre half Sean Durden, which fell to the opposite winger and Captain Martyn Barnett. However his point-blank strike was palmed strongly away by the diving goalie to deny the Home team once again.

The Home team were well on top and moments later, they were given the perfect opportunity they’d been looking for when Lee Waterfall was felled on the left edge of the box by centre half Liam Flecknor. The No 9 stepped up to take the spot-kick himself but unfortunately he blasted it high over the bar, and the score remained 0-0 with less than ten minutes to go before half-time.

Moments later the Home team were made to pay for their misses when the Away team took the lead! With 37mins on the clock the fullback Kanu Patel started the move with a quick ball from the back to Darren Jeffs. The No 9 played a 1st time ball to Adam Proudlock, and the Legend proceeded to play a masterful slide-rule pass into the run of Daniel Whitehouse whose curling effort nestled into the far right-hand corner of the goal (0-1).

The Away team could’ve had a second straight from kick-off when centre forward partnership Darren Jeffs and Dan Hughes linked up cleverly. Jeffs was through one-on-one with the goal after Hughes chipped pass split the defenders; however, the No 9’s indecision meant goalie Knight could gather the ball into his chest.

Just before the break the Home side almost found an equaliser but again were denied by the impressive goalkeeping of Smith. Legend Jody Craddock showed his class down the left-wing with a neat stop and start run before picking out a cross. The ball fell dangerously to the edge of the box where centre mid Dave Taylor came storming in but his low shot was matched by the dive of Robert Smith.

However they weren’t to be denied for long and with 44mins gone the Home team got the goal their pressure deserved. No 10 Edward Ryan picked up the ball in midfield and played it into his strikers, the ball was fed out wide to Barnett and when the No 7 squared it to Ryan on the edge of the box the classy No 10 made no mistake, comfortably curling in a fantastic left foot effort into the top left corner of the goal (1-1).

The ref’s whistle blew seconds afterwards and going into the changing rooms it was a game of excellent build up play but missed chances from both sides, yet this provided great entertainment for all those watching. Home Manager Matt Murray was pleased with his troops and kept encouraging them to use the width of the pitch to stretch their opponents and then look for the space in between the Away defence. With the teams all square and very evenly balanced in terms of play, there was everything to play for in the 2nd half.  

Half Time: Wolves (Home) 1 - 1 Wolves (Away)

Proceedings got under way again for the 2nd half and within mins the Away team had regained their lead! The Home side’s defence had been re-jigged at half-time and the personnel changes appeared to unsettle them, and when Sanjoy Ghosh pounced on a mistake at the back to feed Legend Adam Proudlock, the powerful forward raced beyond the defence before smashing a right foot shot past keeper Geoff Knight (1-2).

The Home team responded well and with Edward Ryan prominent in Midfield they pushed to create an opening at the Away end, and when Martyn Barnett was set free by the No 10 on the right side of the box they looked odds on to equalize, however the No 7 was in too minds whether to shoot or cross and when he chose the latter option he over hit his cut back and it just eluded strike partner Mark Taylor. 

The team in White continued to create chances as well though and the following period of play saw both teams push for an opening. However both defences, led by Hayes and Taylor for the Home and Middleton and Cameron-Prowse for the Away, were holding out well, despite the intense pressure they were under.

The Home team came close after 60mins when smart play from Mark Taylor saw the No 11 feed Martyn Barnett on the right side of the area, however Away keeper Robert Smith was expertly placed to beat away his powerful shot for a corner. Unfortunately for the Home team their big striker Lee Waterfall had to be replaced with a muscle injury soon afterwards, however it allowed Dave Taylor to push further forwards. The attacking No 6 did well to make space for a shot soon after the move, however his well struck shot was just too high. Taylor threatened again mins later after being released by a clever ball from Martin McLeod, however his right foot effort just flashed past the near post. A 3rd chance came the way of Taylor moments later, and he looked odds on to score, however the normally deadly No 6 dragged his effort wide of the left hand post.

With the Home team well on top, it wasn’t a surprise when they finally got the reward for their pressure on 80mins and it was that man again, Dave Taylor who finally got his goal! The attacking winger Martyn Barnett powered his way into the box and played a ball into ‘Tayls’ and when the midfielder’s shot struck the base of the post it didn’t look like it was going to be his day, however it rebounded into the goal off the diving goalkeeper Robert Smith and just crept over the line (2-2).

With less than 10mins to go the game was all square and both sides sensed the chance for glory. The ever lively Away striker Dan Hughes came close, when he made room for a shot and tested Geoff Knight, but the goalkeeper gathered the ball comfortably. Back came the Home team and Barnett came close with a near post shot after running onto a clever through ball from Ryan Hall, and Legend Jody Craddock smashed an effort off the bar, however the scores remained tied with time running out.

The Home team continued to push for the win though and when Martyn Barnett went on another attack in the 89th min he found himself in an attacking position on the right side of the area, just as he played the ball square he was scythed down by a desperate tackle from Cameron-Prowse and the referee pointed to the spot. The No 7 stepped up and confidently smashed the ball, high into the centre of the goal, giving keeper Smith no chance (3-2)!

The referee’s whistle blew seconds afterwards, giving the Away team no time to respond. It had been a fantastic end to end game, and even though the Home team probably did enough to deserve their win, it was certainly harsh on the Away team to lose out to such a late goal. All in all it had been a fantastic game, and both teams received a rousing send off when they left the pitch, from the ever enthusiastic Wolves fans. 

Full time: Wolves (Home) 3 - 2 Wolves (Away)

Man of the Match (Home): Edward Ryan
Man of the Match (Away): Robert Smith
Moment of the Match: Martyn Barnett

Home Team: Geoff Knight, Paul Preece, Jody Craddock/Seyi Olofinjana, Andy Hayes, Sean Durden, Dave Taylor, Martyn Barnett (C), Martin McLeod, Lee Waterfall, Edward Ryan, Mark Taylor, Ryan Hall
Home Manager: Matt Murray
Home Mascot: Reece Davies

Away Team: Robert Smith, Kanu Patel, Adam Proudlock, Benjamin Middleton, Liam Flecknor, Matthew Barker (C), Rupert Osmond, Daniel Whitehouse, Darren Jeffs, Mark Osmond, Dan Hughes, Shane Wilkinson, Liam Cameron-Prowse, Mark Feehan, Sanjoy Ghosh
Away Manager: Matt Murray
Away Mascot: Zachary Ghosh