Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Hibernian 2015

There was huge excitement amongst the Hibs fans on the afternoon of Sun 26th April 2015 as they prepared for the 1st Football Aid game at Easter Road since 2006. Conditions were perfect and their fans were in fine voice as they took to the pitch, and those watching weren’t to be disappointed. A fine game saw an impressive 7-1 win for Home team, however the Away team’s fans had plenty to shout about as well, with the team in White never giving their opponents an inch throughout, despite being on the wrong end of the result. Overall it was a fine occasion and the fans involved were already talking about playing again next season as they left the pitch!   

Date: Sun 26th April 2015
Venue: Easter Road
Hibernian (Home) vs Hibernian (Away)
Kick Off: 15:00 pm
Match Officials: Chris McTiernan, Gary MacLean, Gary Hanvidge & Euan Birch
Legends: Ian Murray, Kevin Harper and Rob Jones

(Above Left to Right: Hibs Home players Andy Harland, Mark Feehan - who deserves an extra special mention as he was making his 50th Football Aid appearance! - and Terry Rickeard)

There was Sunshine on Leith as the Away team kicked off the game, wearing the White and Green Away shirts and playing from right to left. Both teams started confidently, moving into space and passing the ball about well, and the watching Hibs fans didn’t have to wait long for a goal!

With just 3mins on the clock a fine passing move found Home No 9 Terry Rickeard in space and he fed Andy Harland racing clear on the right side of the area, the prolific striker took the opportunity to test Allan Todd in the Away goal and his high curling effort from distance evaded the keeper’s despairing attempts to save it and the ball found its way into the back of the net off the underside of the bar (1-0).

It was a fast start for the Home team and it showed the striking prowess the Away team had to contend with. However the team in White responded well though and a neat passing movement found Sean McCRae in the box, the elegant left footer cut the ball back to Aidan McCulloch, however the striker couldn’t get enough on his shot and Home keeper Paul Cadger saved comfortably.

Both sides continued to pass the ball well, however Legends Ian Murray and Kevin Harper were marshalling their troops well and chances were at a premium. Away No 9 McCRae almost got his team back on level terms when he got on the end of a great cross from the right, however his effort wouldn’t have counted anyway as he was flagged offside.   

The defensive combination of Alan Stirling and Dave Buglass were keeping the Home strikers at bay, however the pace and skill of No 7 Ewan Millar was coming into play more as the game went on and it was one of his interventions that led to the 2nd goal for the Home team. Millar nicked the ball in midfield and fed the deep lying forward Rickeard, the No 9 played a slide-rule pass into the feet of strike partner Andy Harland, and with Dave Buglass stepping up to try to play him offside the No 20 was allowed to run in on goal. The speedy striker made no mistake from inside the area, firing his side into a 2 goal lead after 20mins (2-0).

Worse was to follow for the Away team a few mins later. With the ball in the Home team’s half Legend Ian Murray fed Scott Purves before the No 10 in turn fed No 4 Colin Millar, the Centre Half’s pinpoint forward ball beat the offside trap and found Graham Young racing into the clear. The midfielder continued his run into the box and shot across the diving Allan Todd into the far corner of the net (3-0).

The Away team fashioned a chance of their own in response, when Sean McCRae played a one two on the edge of the box, however the striker’s well struck effort was just too high and Paul Cadger didn’t need to make the save. Away No 6 Robbie Wood tested the keeper with a shot from distance next, however Cadger was able to save comfortably.

At the other end Rickeard, Harland and Murray went close for the Home team, however despite their combined efforts the team in Green couldn’t increase their lead. The Away team responded well though, with an effort from Legend Kevin Harper their best chance, however his curling effort flew just wide of the far post.

The referee’s whistle brought the half to an end soon afterwards and the Home team went into their dressing room in confident spirits. The Away team were still in the game though and they were convinced they could still get back into the game in the 2nd period.

Half Time: Hibernian (Home) 3-0 Hibernian (Away)

The Home team kicked off the 2nd half in glorious sunshine, but it was the Away team who started brightly, with the energy of their subs making an early impact and the strong running of Kevin Harper from midfield allowing them to pour forward in attack.

The commanding presence of Legend Rob Jones was helping to shore up their defence as well and things looked promising for the team in White shirts and the combination of Harper and McCRae very nearly led to their 1st goal of the game after the Hibs Legend’s dangerous ball into the box was met well by the striker’s head. However the effort flashed wide and the score remained 3-0 to the Home team.

The Home team came back at their opponents though, but goalkeeper Allan Todd was equal to their efforts, 1st doing well to make a fine diving save after a ball out wide was fired into the box and then racing from his goal to do enough to put off Terry Rickeard when he looked like he would get on the end of a clever through ball from Andy Harland.

Then an incredible mazy dribble from Kevin Harper which saw the Hibs legend glide past 5 or 6 opponents looked to have given Sean McCrae the opportunity he needed to break his team’s scoring duck, however he couldn’t quite wrap his foot around the effort enough to get it on target.

With chances coming at both ends and the game entering the 70th min the result was still up for grabs, however a decisive 4th goal for the Home team looked like killing off the Away side’s chances. Legend Ian Murray won possession and played a quick ball to Andy Harland on the left wing, the No 20 looked up and fired an accurate cross to Terry Rickeard who controlled the ball expertly before despatching it low past Todd into the goal (4-0).

They weren’t finished there though and on 73mins they were further ahead. The move was once again started by Legend Ian Murray, his accurate ball finding Ross Adamson haring up the left wing. The No 17 played a perfect cut back to Andy Harland and the impressive forward took a touch before smashing a right foot volley high into the top left corner of the net to complete his hat-trick (5-0). It was a fantastic strike and definitely an early contender for Goal of the Season!

However the Away team weren’t giving up just yet and they grabbed a deserved goal back on 75mins. Kevin Harper curled a free-kick into the back post and fellow Legend Rob Jones did very well to cut it back towards the goal, the impressive centre half Colin Millar was on hand to attempt a clearance, however he got the ball caught between his feet and unfortunately diverted the ball into his own net…(5-1).    

The team in Green responded quickly though and when Colin’s brother, Ewan Millar showed his alertness to gain possession on the right wing he showed great vision to pick out Andy Harland inside the area and the striker made no mistake, side-footing the ball into the roof of the net to bag his 4th goal of the game on 85mins (6-1).

The final goal was to come on 88mins, and it went to the Home team again. Terry Rickeard was the provider again, winning the ball for his team and playing it quickly to No 17 Ross Adamson. The pacy left winger let fly with a fierce, dipping effort from outside the area and the speed of his shot caught Allan Todd on his heels and it flew past the keeper and into the net (7-1). It was a goal worthy of the Moment of the Match trophy it won Adamson, and it completed the scoring with the Home side ending up convincing winners.

The late goal-fest had perhaps put a gloss on the Home team’s win which was a little unfair on the Away team, however a combination of stout defending and clinical goal-scoring had given the Hibs Home team a deserved win, and they received the well-earned acclaim from their supporters when they left the field.

Full time: Hibernian (Home) 7 - 1 Hibernian (Away)

Man of the Match (Home): Andy Harland
Man of the Match (Away): Dave Buglass
Moment of the Match: Ross Adamson

Home Team: Paul Cadger, Kenny Millar (C), Ian Murray, Colin Millar, Mark Feehan, Graham Young, Ewan Millar, Craig Fordyce, Terry Rickeard, Scott Purves, Andrew Harland, Derek Hansen, Alan Quilter, Ross Adamson
Home Mascot: Joey Craig

Away Team: Allan Todd, Scott Sinclair, Rob Jones/Kevin Harper, Dave Buglass, Alan Stirling (C), Robbie Wood, Jimmy Scott, Peter Craig,l Sean McCrae, Jason Scott Aidan McCulloch, Stuart Macpherson, Mark Feehan, David Purves, Dale Rankin
Away Mascot: Taylor Jefferies