Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Derby County 2014

The 2014 Football Aid fixture at the iPro stadium was one of the closest Football Aid matches all season. Throughout the game, both sides kept those watching on the edge of their seats, frustrating them at times with chances that came so close. In the end, the scores were only kept down because of the classy defending and goalkeeping on show as there were certainly plenty of great chances created by both sides. After 90 mins however, it was the Away team who secured a 4-3 victory after a fortunate strike in the dying moments.

Date: Monday 26th May 2014
Venue: The iPro Stadium   
Derby County (Home) vs Derby County (Away)
Kick off: 9:45am
Legends: Archie Gemmill and Michael Johnson
Match Officials: Kev Clarke, Calum Goodwin, Howard Groves and Jamie Smith

The Derby game was kicked off by the Away side, wearing the Maroon change kits and kicking from right to left. And they would have taken the lead just mins after kick off if it had not been for a fantastic last ditch tackle from full back Mark Barnett. The chance came when Away No 2 Gary O’Hagan took a thunderous effort from 25 yards that Home goalie Eoin McCafferty could only parry, however sensing the danger Barnett just got to the ball 1st before Away attacker Matthew Ely could apply the finishing touch.

However, 16 mins in it was their opponents who took the lead through Football Aid veteran Baljinder Singh. The Away team had possession in the centre of the park but the play broke down and centre forward Brad Pedersen took possession of the ball. Pedersen looked to play a through ball for his teammate Ken Butler, but the No 6 was offside therefore he ran onto the ball himself. Just before he was about to be tackled, Pedersen looked up and squared the ball to Singh on the edge of the box, the No 8 gave himself room before firing a perfectly directed low shot beyond the reach of the keeper into the far left corner of the goal (1-0).

Their lead only lasted five mins though, with the Away team coming up with the goods to secure an equaliser quickly. Centre mid Lee Waterfall swept the ball out to the right for centre forward Dave Taylor who had curved his run perfectly to beat the offside trap. Taylor, just inside the box drilled a low, hard effort into the bottom left corner to even up the scores after 21 mins (1-1).

The Away side were unlucky less than four mins later as they lost the lead again. Centre forward David Flinders played it back to centre mid Chris Ososki who then passed it out wide to his central team-mate David Kerry on the edge of the box. Kerry’s low ball into the box was waiting for someone to poke it into the back of the net which is what keeper Mark Adams was expecting too. However the ball instead passed all the way through and went in off the far post without anyone touching it (2-1). 

Straight up the other end and the Away side almost equalised again through Legend Michael Johnson. Johnson controlled a cross in from the left, turned his man before rifling a low shot at goal that was expertly saved by Home keeper Eoin McCafferty at his near post. The resulting corner was blocked three times from close range by Home defenders as they all combined to get behind the ball to protect their lead.

Soon after the half was brought to a close; the Home team went into the break with only a slight lead and certainly everything still to play for. The half featured a number of great saves, a few missed opportunities and plenty of quality defending from Darryl Beecham and Jon Dixon for the Home team and Andy Adams and John Vint for the Away team. The Away team were perhaps unlucky to be behind due to the fortunate goal scored by David Kerry, but it was still anyone’s game going into the 2nd 45 mins.

Half Time: Derby County (Home) 2-1 Derby County (Away)

In the Away dressing room at the break, Legend Michael Johnson tried to get his players together and told them how they needed to help get back after their attacks, as the Home side were taking advantage of the counter-attack that was at their disposal.

The Home team got the game re-started; however, it was their opponents who got off the mark the quickest with a goal in the 52nd min. Centre forward Dave Taylor collected and returned a throw-in from Legend Michael Johnson. The No 9 then got the ball back from winger Michael Seeley, faked past the Home defender before taking two strides and smashing a wonder strike high into the top right corner of the goal; giving goalie Eoin McCafferty no chance in the Home goal! 1st to shake his hand was referee Kev Clarke after he had managed to dodge the bullet, that Taylor had fired towards goal (2-2).

Mins later, the Away team had taken the lead thanks to the great footwork of winger Michail Retsinas. The No 17 skipped past two players down the right wing before flicking it into Michael Seeley who then cut it back to Retsinas as he headed toward the by-line. Michail flung a quick cross low into the box that Matthew Ely was there to side-foot comfortably into the bottom left corner of the goal with 58 mins gone (2-3).

Down the other end and the Home team weren’t making it a comfortable lead for their opponents as they forced a corner that resulted in centre forward Brad Pedersen hitting the post. Initially, Away centre half Andy Adams put in a stunning slide-tackle to deny his opposition. The ball was whipped in and Pedersen peeled off his marker at the penalty spot, he flung a header toward goal but it hit the right post and fell away to safety.

The game was end-to-end now, as both teams were pushing to score, with the Home team wanting to equalize and the Away side trying to pull away. It was the Away team who came closest in the next 10 mins, Matthew Ely smashed a pile-driver of a shot that was curving away from goal along the ground. Eoin McCafferty scrambled over and managed to tip it round the post, which was a great diving save considering that the ball was bouncing slightly on its way.

With not long left in the game, the Away side almost put the game to bed when Matthew Ely found himself through on goal. Winger Michael Seeley cut in from the left, before scooping a ball perfectly into the path of Ely’s run. The No 11 broke into the box but his shot was very well saved again by McCafferty who was trying his best to keep his side in the game.

However soon afterwards McCafferty and his team mates had their head’s in their hands, as they were outdone by a deflection that took the ball into the top corner. It was winger, Michael Seely, who was involved again as he slowly waltzed inside before finding a pass into Dave Taylor on the edge of the box. The No 9’s curling shot took a deflection that made it soar high in the air and carried the ball over the unfortunate McCafferty and into the top right corner of the goal (2-4) It had been some game for Taylor, his match winning hat-trick taking his Football Aid 2014 season tally to an incredible 10 goals.

The game was in injury time now, however the determined Home team weren't giving up and straight from the kick off they pulled one back. Centre half Jon Dixon slid a lovely ball into the run of David Kerry who burst into the box, however the substitute got cut down by Away No 5 John Vint which gave the referee no choice but to award a spot kick. No 10 Chris Ososki calmly stepped up to smash the ball home into the bottom left corner of the goal (3-4).

However this was to be the final kick of the game, with a very close match ultimately going the way of the team in Maroon after their fortunate late goal gave them an unassailable lead. It would perhaps have been fair if the game had ended in a draw as there was some great end-to-end football played by both teams throughout the 90 mins. Thanks to the defending of Adams, Vint, Beecham and Dixon throughout, and some cracking saves from McCafferty in particular and also Mark Adams in goal, it was a relatively low scoring affair. However in the end there had to be a winner and it was Football Aid 2014's 2nd top scorer Dave Taylor’s goal that secured a very tightly fought match.

Full time: Derby County (Home) 3 - 4 Derby County (Away)

Man of the Match Home: David Kerry
Man of the Match Away: John Vint
Moment of the Match: Dave Taylor

Home Team: Eoin McCafferty (C), Mark Barnett, Darryl Beecham, Jon Dixon, Ken Butler, Russell Armstrong, Baljinder Singh, David Flinders, Chris Ososki, Brad Pedersen, David Kerry, Matthew Farmer
Home Manager: Archie Gemmill
Home Mascot: Maddison Flinders

Away Team: Mark Adams, Gary O'Hagan, Michael Johnson, Andy Adams (C), John Vint, Matthew Gaetto, Michael Seeley, Dave Taylor, Lee Waterfall, Matthew Ely, Kevin Banks, Michail Retsinas
Away Mascot: Jamie Gascoyne