Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Newcastle United G1 2014

The 2014 Football Aid fixture at St James’ Park was a fine game of football that produced three sets of hat-tricks for the Away team. At the break the teams were very closely matched, with the Home defence managing to withstand the Away pressure by demonstrating some fine defending. However, in the 2nd half this fell apart somewhat, as their opposition got into full flow and created some fine goals that were backed up by solid defensive performances at the back. It was a great game of football that gave the watching Magpies fans 11 goals to enjoy, so the fans in the stands certainly couldn’t complain. 

Date: Friday 16th of May 2014
Venue: St James' Park
Newcastle United (Home) vs Newcastle United (Away)
Game 2
Kick off: 15:15 pm
Match Officials: Kevin McKitterick, Michael Burrows, John Brampton and Ian Owens

The Home side got the game started in glorious sunshine, wearing the famous Black and White striped shirts. However, within a couple of mins, the Home side had gifted their opposition the lead. A long back pass was played to Home goalkeeper Phil Collings who proceeded to try to pass the ball out but his attempt was easily picked off by prowling winger Ryan Brain. The No 8’s low shot was put away well at the near post opening the scoring for the Away side after just 2 mins (0-1).

However, the Home team bounced straight back from going down early as they equalized in the 13th min. Centre mid Daniel Edwards intercepted a stray pass before playing a delightful chipped through ball that beat the Away defence’s offside trap to find the run of centre forward Darren Winnard. The No 11 cut into the box from the left side and fired a low shot at the near post that found its way into the back of the net to level things up (1-1).

Once the game had levelled up, the play passed from end-to-end and it was the Away side who almost took the lead again. The impressive Away No 10 Daryll Phillips picked the ball up at the edge of his own box and burst towards the half-way line. Phillips’ low ball was perfectly weighted for the run of centre forward Dean Smith whose first time effort from the edge of the box had to be very well saved at the near post from Collings.

This pressure from the Away team was maintained and they took the lead again on 18th mins. Another pass from the centre of the park, this time by centre half James Hewitt, was well timed and was lifted over the Home defence into the run of centre forward Carl Stewart. The intuitive No 11 spotted where the Home keeper was before curling a first time effort round his opponent into the bottom left corner of the goal (1-2). 

As the game progressed, the Away team enjoyed the majority of the possession but found it difficult to find a way through centre half pairing Les Bewick and Simon Dick, as well as Phil Collings in goal. This was until 41mins when winger Ryan Brain got his 2nd goal of the afternoon with a stunning curled effort from the left wing. It was a route-one ball played from goalie Adam Smith that found the No 8 all on his own down the left side. Brain cut into the box, stepping away from his man, before somehow curling a high effort over the Home defence into the far corner of the goal (1-3).

Straight down the other end, the Home team came very close to pulling one back just before the break. A throw-in from the left side was flicked on by centre mid Edwards and as the ball dropped behind him centre forward Michail Retsinas hit a first-time volley from the edge of the box, however his effort was very well tipped over by keeper Adam Smith.

Soon after Away centre forward Dean Smith was asking how he hadn’t scored after two of his chances on the verge of half time came close to finding the back of the net. His 1st, in a one-on-one situation, saw the No 9 unfortunately just put his shot wide of the left post. Seconds later, he was in again, as he expertly rounded two Home defenders but his low shot was saved majestically by the feet of Collings in goal.

The ref brought a very evenly contested half to an end with the Away team going into the dressing room with a two goal lead that could’ve been more. Thanks to Phil Collings in goal, along with his defence in front of him, the Away team were limited to a few chances, which credit to them, they took well. A fine brace from winger Ryan Brain was all that separated the two teams as they went into the break with everything still to play for.

Half Time: Newcastle United (Home) 1-3 Newcastle United (Away)

At the break the Home team discussed whether to keep playing with a high line or drop deeper as the Away attack had been enjoying too many opportunities. Captain Sean Hunter told his players that they needed to work the wings more as there had been no out-ball during the first half for the centre mids.

The Away team got the game back underway and the team in Yellow profited almost immediately after substitute winger Graeme Murray won a free-kick on the edge of the box. Murray quickly grabbed the ball, standing over it to make sure he could take it, then out of nowhere the No 17 produced a beautiful curling effort that flew over the wall and into top left corner of the goal with 47 mins on the clock (1-4).

With just under an hour played, the Away team were now dominating the match and at the back their defence led by Garry Pearson and James Hewitt continued to catch out the Home attackers using a high-line system. The centre mids and attackers were pinging the ball about in the middle of the park but most of their chances were either put just wide or saved by keeper Phil Collings.

However, right on the hour mark, they found their 5th goal and it was another brace in the team, this time for striker Carl Stewart. Centre mid Kevan Wright picked up the ball in the centre circle before playing a slide rule pass, which split the Home defence. Stewart let the ball roll before finishing like a premier league striker, his outstanding curling shot looped into the top left corner. No keeper could’ve saved that effort (1-5)!

Two minutes later, Carl Stewart had completed his hat-trick with a classic strikers finish from 6 yards out. The ball was spread out to the right wing, where centre forward Dean Smith had found himself with plenty of space to run into. Smith carried the ball into the box before squaring it and Stewart was there, getting in front of his marker, to prod the ball home and get his 3rd goal of the game (1-6).

The Home team didn’t have luck on their side either, as the Away team received a fortuitous opportunity that winger Ryan Brain slammed home for his hat-trick. Initially, a cross from the left side was fumbled towards the goal by keeper Collings but it was brilliantly cleared off the line by covering defender Kevin Banks. An extra clearance at the edge of the box fell perfectly to No 8 Ryan Brain 25 yards from goal who hit a pile-driver that found the bottom corner of the net with 66 mins gone (1-7).

However, eight minutes later, the Away team’s 8th goal had nothing fortuitous about it, as it was a brilliantly worked team goal. Winger Ryan Brain picked the ball up down in the far right corner and the No 8 played a long ball down the line to centre forward Carl Stewart. The No 11 brilliantly turned his man before crossing a low ball into the box for the run of his attack partner Dean Smith. Smith controlled it well on his knee, took a touch before sliding a low shot into the goal (1-8).

The Home side was unfortunate not to get another goal as they tried valiantly to push forward and score but couldn’t quite finish. They continued to produce chances, but many of their shots were blocked at the edge of the box. As the Home team had started to get a look-in, Away captain Daryll Phillips decided to take matters into his own hands. With 87mins gone the No 10 picked the ball up in the centre of the park before powering past two players to produce a cross at the back post. His chipped ball across the box was tapped in from 6 yards by Dean Smith who had been left unmarked (1-9). 

And with only a min left of the 90 mins Dean Smith completed his 15 min hat-trick. Full back Lee Hyslop latched onto a loose ball and at the edge of the box and played a perfect pass into Smith who was cutting in from the right side. The centre forward approached the goalie before slotting it under him to get his 3rd goal (1-10).

That was the end of the game as the Away team had finished off their opponents in the 2nd half in impressive style, not letting them back into the game at any stage. However despite being well behind, the Home team didn’t give up and kept trying to find the net but unfortunately couldn’t find a way through the solid Away defence. Up the other end, the Away attack was a sight to behold, centre mids Dean Stott, Daryll Phillips and Kevan Wright controlled the flow of the play throughout and were helped to a deserved win by the brilliant finishing from Dean Smith, Carl Stewart and Ryan Brain. It was all too much for the Home defence and despite Collings best efforts between the posts there was no way back for the Home team after the damage had been done. With 11 goals to enjoy the watching Magpies fans had certainly got their money's worth and unsurprisingly both sets of players received a deserved round of applause as they left the pitch at the end of the game.

Full Time: Newcastle United (Home) 1 - 10 Newcastle United (Away)

Man of the Match Home: Michael Newberry
Man of the Match Away: Ryan Brain
Moment of the Match: Clint Sangbarani

Home Team: Phil Collings, John Baston, Les Bewick, Simon Dick, Kevin Gaddes, Michael Newberry, Clint Sangbarani, Michail Retsinas, Daniel Edwards, Darren Winnard, Jordan Rivett, Kevin Banks, Matthew Pepperell, Sean Hunter (C)
Home Mascot: Ellie Winnard

Away Team: Adam Smith, Gordon Murray, Garry Pearson, James Hewitt, Dean Stott, Neil Wharton, Ryan Brain, Dean Smith, Daryll Phillips (C), Carl Stewart, Kevan Wright, Andrew McShane, Lee Hyslop, Graeme Murray
Away Mascot: Mitchell Stewart