Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Wolves 2014

The Football Aid 2014 fixture at the Molineux was a close fought game that didn’t disappoint in any department of play. The game produced 6 goals ending in a 3-3 draw, but both the offensive and defensive efforts from both teams were admirable. The game was end-to-end entertainment and contained a fantastic comeback from the Away team despite them, arguably, having the majority of the chances. In the end, however, they couldn’t be disappointed with the end result as they gave a valiant effort to get back into the game after halftime.

Date: Thursday 24th of April 2014
Venue: Molineux
Wolves (Home) vs Wolves (Away)
Kick off: 18:30 pm
Legends: Matt Murray, Adam Proudlock, Tony Daley and Tony Dinning
Match Officials: Phil Taylor, Steve Turner, Phil Dawes and Vic Kelly

The Wolverhampton Wanderers Home team got the match underway, wearing the famous Gold Home kit complete with Black socks. The game started as a cagey affair with neither side gaining any real opportunities; however, the Home side only needed one chance to take the lead. With only 5 mins played the Away side made a poor defensive pass out and gave it straight to the Home side’s No 8 Carl Edwards, who, on the edge of the box, tried to chip the keeper only to be denied by the bar. Much to his delight the ball rebounded straight to centre forward Dave Taylor who slotted the ball Home in style (1-0).

Although being behind, it was clear that the Away team were fortunate to be playing with two legends and they utilised this by spreading the play on several occasions to left back and legend Tony Daley on the left side who frequently put in great crosses dying to be buried in the net. The Away team’s first good chance came just under 10 mins in as a throw-out by the Home keeper fell to No 8 Matthew Baker who fired a looping volley which had to palmed Away by goalie Darren Jones.

The Away side were at it again 10 mins later, with the right midfielder and captain Craig Hesson producing a perfect cross on the counter to opposite winger Matthew Baker. With little space, Baker produced a cheeky and well-crafted chipped effort which sadly hit the base of the left-post. The Home team were next to attack and create a chance for themselves, the No 17 Lee Waterfall having an effort that was defended well, however, the ball was not cleared fully and the ball fell kindly for Waterfall who smashed a shot that was incredibly saved by the Away goalie Liam Flecknor.

On the half-hour mark the Home team doubled their advantage through Lee Waterfall. An expertly worked move down the left produced a low cross from No 8 Carl Edwards which was dispatched by Waterfall. The big No 17, acting as a centre forward, did well to get in front of his man before smashing the ball in off the underside of the crossbar. Although goal-line technology wasn’t in use it was clear to see that the ball had comfortably crossed the goal-line. (2-0)

Nearing half-time and the Away side were rueing their missed chances. Another lovely ball played in from the right by Craig Hesson was met by a perfect header from No 8 Matthew Baker, only for the ball to crack back off the frame of the goal.

A closely fought first half - despite the score-line - ended with the Home side ahead thanks to goals from Taylor and Waterfall. Both teams had several chances to score but the defences and goalkeepers have to be credited as only two goals were scored, while also being helped by the frame of the goal on a number of occasions. Going into the second half there was still very much everything to play for.


Half Time: Wolves (Home) 2-0 Wolves (Away)

During the interval the Home players were congratulated by their manager Matt Murray; however, he reminded them to keep their shape and continue to press the opposition while also spreading the play out to the wings and using the full backs to greater effect.

The 2nd half got underway and within 10 mins the Away team had got a goal back after sustained pressure from the off. A perfect way to respond and in such style as well, the move started with a lovely lofted chip from No 14 Dan Hughes into the box that was volleyed home by the Away side’s No 17 Tom King. Not only was the goal well worked, the Away side counter-acted the Home defence’s high line to great effect having three players in a great opportunity to score, luckily for Hesson the ball came to him. (2-1)

The game continued to grow in pace and it wasn’t long before the Away side produced another great opportunity. A long ball played into their most instrumental player from the first half - Craig Hesson – was then chipped across goal, stranding goalie Darren Jones, for centre mid Mark Taylor. The midfielder would’ve happily stroked it home if not for the last ditch defending from three Home defenders covering for their goalie’s best efforts to stop the attack.

Again, the Away side created a chance and it came via a long ball straight down the middle. This time it was centre-mid Mark Taylor who caught out the offside trap getting through on goal before lofting it over the keeper and into the back of the net (2-2).

Just as the Away side were in the ascendancy the Home team showed their class and tenacity in scoring what was a hotly disputed goal. The move was started by Lee Waterfall who carried the ball into the opposition half before spreading the play to full back Dan Williams, whose through ball seemed to clip an Away team’s defender as it fell to centre forward Dave Taylor. After Taylor had finished coolly the Away team pleaded with referee Phil Taylor who had had a very good game, only to be denied and the goal was given (3-2).

The game contained few more chances as the players tired; however, with just mins to go John Vint, the Away side’s centre half showed little signs of tiredness as he rose to meet the ball after it had been played in at a free-kick and guide it over the goalie to, again, pull his side back level (3-3).

The players fought on to the end, creating what was a thrilling match and a game of two-halves. The 1st was evenly matched; however, the class in front of goal from the Home team through Dave Taylor and Lee Waterfall saw them take a 2-0 lead into the break. As well as some superb finishing, the Home team had to thank their goalie, Darren Jones, at the interval for making some outstanding saves to keep their lead. The 2nd half saw the Away team come racing out of the blocks, drawing level with their opposition, helped by the excellent play of captain Craig Hesson and not to mention the midfield performance by substitute Dan Hughes whose sublime pass got his team back into the game. A mention must also be made for centre half John Vint whose late equaliser saved his team but also for his defensive work rate and gritty performance. Overall, the game gave onlookers a real spectacle and was certainly a match for the neutrals as both sides shared some quality chances.

Full time: Wolves (Home) 3-3 Wolves (Away)
Man of the Match Home: Lee Waterfall
Man of the Match Away: John Vint
Moment of the Match: Liam Flecknor

Home Team: Darren Jones, Dan Williams, Adam Proudlock, Andy Hayes, Steven Longman, Samuel Williams, Lee Waterfall, Carl Edwards, Dave Taylor, Rupert Osmond, Martin Mcleod (C), Robert Smith, Shane Wilkinson, David Renouf
Home Manager: Matt Murray
Home Mascot: Davey Jack Taylor

Away Team: Liam Flecknor, Matt Fellows, Tony Dinning, John Vint, Nathan Mclean, Matthew Barker, Craig Hesson (C), Matthew Baker, Mark Everiss, Mark Taylor, Dan Hughes, Stuart Green, Willem Harper, Tom King
Away Manager: Tony Daley
Away Mascot: Evie Cole