Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Newcastle United G2 2013

The 2nd match of the day at St James' Park was almost as thrilling as the first. The two teams of Magpies fans couldn't be separated at half-time but an impressive performance from the Away team in the 2nd period saw them run out 2-6 winners in the end.  However both teams could be proud of their efforts in providing the watching crowd with some excellent Friday night entertainment.

Date: Friday 31st May 2013
Venue: St. James’ Park
Newcastle United Home vs Newcastle United Away
Game 2
Kick off: 3:15pm
Match Officials: Ben Wiseman, Christopher Haines, Steve Rider and David Wolfenden

Both teams of Magpies fans strode out on to the St James' Park pitch to the cheers of the expectant crowd and lined up in an orderly fashion before shaking hands with the opposition. The Captains and Officials participated in age old ritual of the coin toss which saw the Home side emerge victorious and choose to kick off. The Away team, however, quickly took possession and created a number of chances for themselves with some clever passing and awareness. The Home team's Defence stayed strong though and were able to keep them from scoring, without really being able to create any chances of note themselves.

That was until a fantastic run and selfless pass from No 5 Liam Robinson allowed No 11 Paul Evans to get in on goal; however some good defensive work from Away Keeper Alan Morton and their No 10 Craig Atherton prevented the shot coming to anything. The Away side answered straight back though when a cross from No 2 Patrick Kiefer resulted in a great mid air volley from No 11 Simon Parfitt, his effort was only just stopped by Ashley Price in the Home goal. The Away side continued to push forward, getting into space and passing well in order to get shots off but sadly none of these were converted into goals.

Despite the Away side's dominance it was the Home side that opened the scoring with 23 mins gone. A great tackle from Philip Mudie allowed the Full Back to regain possession and pass the ball forward to No 9 Terry Rickeard who had made a well timed run to beat the offside trap; the much travelled Striker carried the ball into the box and executed a trademark chip over the Keeper to put his team ahead (1-0).

The Away side looked to come straight back into it though and after the ball was quickly passed up-field their Captain Stuart Schofield played in fellow Striker Simon Parfitt. His subsequent shot on goal was blocked by Keeper Ashley Price, but his effort from the rebound went wide.

Both sides continued to push back and forth, looking for a goal to either equalize or pull away and it was the side in Lime Green shirts that made the breakthrough after a lofted ball from No 11 Simon Parfitt was diverted high into the air off a defender’s head. When it came back to earth Away Captain Stuart Schofield sent a fantastic volley straight into the bottom right corner of the net to level the scores with 37 mins on the clock (1-1).

The Away side almost pulled ahead soon after, but a great diving save from Keeper Ashley Price kept the scores level and the referee's whistle brought the 1st half to an end soon afterwards. Despite there only being 2 goals scored it had been a thoroughly enjoyable half of football and the players received a great reception when they left the pitch.

Half Time: Newcastle United Home 1 - 1 Newcastle United Away

The half-time discussion in the changing room was a serious one as both teams wanted to gain the advantage after the break. Once the team-talks were concluded and the players were sufficiently re-energized they came back out onto the pitch raring to go again. The Home side started by immediately driving for goal but a dangerous looking cross was kept out by the well marshalled Away defence. The side in Green then hit back themselves and proceeded to retain possession in and around the Home box and created a few efforts on goal, however they weren't able to finish any of the chances that presented themselves.

This wasn’t true for long though and the Away side's probing finally paid off in the 51st min. No 17 Mark Beare collected the ball on the edge of the box and fired a fine right footed effort high into the top right corner of the net (1-2). It was a classy strike from the Midfielder and deservedly earned him the Moment of the Match Trophy.

The Away side nearly went even further ahead after Striker Schofield received a long pass, beat a defender and made it into the box. However his shot was only just saved by Price. However they did go further ahead soon after when an excellent pass into the middle from Schofield found Mark Beare just inside the box. The Left Mid calmly curled a side-footed effort into the right hand side of the net giving Price no chance in goal, his 2nd of the game coming on 58 mins (1-3).

The Away side pulled even further ahead soon after when a great long pass forward found the pacy Stuart Schofield in the clear. The No 9 carried the ball into the box and fired off a shot that slipped past the Keeper and narrowly avoided a last ditch attempted block from a Defender. The deadly Striker then celebrated his 2nd goal of the game with an impressive cartwheel (1-4)!

With 62 mins on the clock the Away side had carved out a decisive looking 3 goal advantage and they extend their lead a few mins later after a strong tackle sent the ball forward to Schofield once again. He then sent the ball across goal to Simon Parfitt who proceeded to slide the ball under the Keeper and into the bottom right corner (1-5).

The Home side were not to be forgotten however, and they decreased the Away team's lead in the 68th min. The team in Black and White stripes were awarded a free kick after a push 30 yards out. The kick was taken by No 4 Kristien Harrison, who hit the wall with his shot, however it then came off the head of another Defender before it came to Steven Foreman. The No 14 instantly controlled the ball on his chest before volleying it into the back of the net, giving Morton no chance in the goal (2-5).

Foreman's goal meant the Home side were only 3 goals behind and a comeback was a possibility, however the Away side weren't going to let them get any closer though and when the Home side made a slip they took advantage to put the game to bed. A Home defender failed to control the ball and when it went back into his team’s half it was pounced on by Away No 11 Simon Parfitt. The Striker carried the ball all the way into the box before slotting it past the Keeper and into the bottom left corner of the net for his 2nd goal of the match (2-6).

Despite all their efforts the Home side were unable to gain any in-roads in the limited time remaining and the game ended soon afterwards with the Away side ending up comfortable winners after an impressive 2nd half performance.

Full Time: Newcastle United Home 2 - 6 Newcastle United Away

Man of the Match Home: Liam Robinson
Man of the Match Away: Stuart Schofield
Moment of the Match: Mark Beare

Home Team: Ashley Price, Philip Mudie, Kristien Harrison, Liam Robinson, Craig Bowes, Keith Hambling (C), Terence Lapsley, Terry Rickeard, Steven Westhead, Paul Evans, Steven Foreman, Alex Pycock, Sion Roper, Martin MacQuarrie
Mascot: William Hambling

Away Team: Alan Morton, Patrick Kiefer, Darragh Lydon, Lee Bryant, Ryan Muldoon, Ryan Parfitt, Joshua Allison, Stuart Schofield (C), Craig Atherton, Simon Parfitt, Michael Knipe, Benjamin Allison, Michael Mellors, Mark Beare