Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

West Ham Game 2 2013

The 2nd West Ham Utd game at The Boleyn Ground in 2013 was certainly action packed, with 20 goals scored and plenty more chances beside. Unfortunately for the Home team, a combination of some unfortunate injuries for their side and a hugely impressive Away side meant all the goals were scored at the same end, however the team in Claret and Blue never stopped fighting until the end and both teams were warmly applauded by the watching fans when they left the field after an energy sapping 90mins.

Date: Monday 27th May 2013
Venue: The Boleyn Ground/Upton Park
West Ham vs West Ham Away
Game 2
Kick off: 2:30pm
Match Officials: Gordon Manning, Peter Cruise, Adrian Waters, Peter Munt

After much discussion of tactics the players strode proudly out onto to the Boleyn Ground pitch to the sound of West Ham’s anthem “I’m Forever Blowing Bubbles”. After the usual pleasantries the Captains and Officials performed the coin toss and the Away side won it and elected to take the kick off. Both teams looked very even from the get go as possession swung wildly from one side to the other. The Away team started to press forward though and came close with a chip into the box that was headed over the bar by No 15 Darren Walsh.

The Away side continued to create chances with keeper Michael Hipwell putting his body on the line to save them. However he wasn’t able to save their next attempt after a perfectly weighted long, high pass found No 10 Dean Hughes upfield. The midfielder carried the ball into the box and passed to No 7 Anthony Davies, who fired it straight past the Keeper and into the back of the net (0-1). The Away side had taken the lead in the 23rd min (0-1).

Unfortunately for the Home side they weren’t able to keep them out for long and the Aways had doubled their lead within 5 mins of the opening goal arriving. The ball was passed into the middle and picked up by No 8 Richard Walsh and from 20 yards out he sent the ball flying into the bottom left corner of the goal (0-2)

The Away side pulled even further ahead soon after, an unfortunate bounce meant their No 6 Dean Smith ended up with the ball close to the box and the midfielder sprinted towards goal before thumping the ball goalwards, Hipwell got in the way of the shot but he couldn't prevent it bouncing into the goal (0-3).

The Away team continued to attack with real intent, and they pressed the Home team again, stealing the ball on the edge of the box. The Home team prevented their initial attack with some excellent last ditch defending, however their efforts were in vain as the ball was eventually headed in by No 6 Dean Smith (0-4).

The Home side didn’t let their heads go down though, and they kept pushing forward, exhibiting some good passing at the same time, however they were down on their luck. This was demonstrated when the Away side hit them on the counter attack before playing in Dean Smith again, and the No 6  broke away from the defence and hammered the ball into the bottom left corner for his 1st half hat-trick (0-5).

Smith continued to shine and he almost scored his 4th goal before half time. On this occasion Goalkeeper Michael Hipwell did well to save his shot, however Smith gathered the rebound and set up teammate Andrea Dezi who volleyed the ball into the top of the net (0-6). The Away side were unstoppable and were continuing to increase their tally with ease no matter how hard the Home side tried!

The team in Claret and Blue fought back and displayed some good passing moves; however they had the ball taken off them and were unable to regain possession. With the clock reaching 36 mins Away No 6 Smith picked the ball up on the left and carried it down the wing before playing a cross into the box for Andrea Dezi and the Striker showed great ability to beat his man and slip the ball past the Keeper for his 2nd goal in a matter of mins (0-7).

The Away team threatened again moments later, when some great footwork saw No 10 Dean Hughes break through the defence and fire a shot on goal, however it was well saved by Hipwell and cleared to safety by the Home defence. The Home side retaliated and showed they were capable of playing some good football but the Away side just kept coming. Danger man Dean Smith made his way down the right wing and passed the ball into No 11 Andrea Dezi, who just managed to slip the ball past the Keeper as it went by him (0-8). Amazingly Dezi's hat-trick put the Away side 8 goals clear and after their solid start things weren't looking so good for the Home team.

And things were to get worse after Dezi and Smith performed exactly the same passage of play but with the positions reversed. Striker Dezi carried it down the wing and passed in to Dean Smith before the Midfielder evaded the defence and hammered the ball into the net (0-9).

Only good defending prevented Dezi getting another shot on goal moments later, however the Away team weren't to be denied for long, No 7 Anthony Davies played in Andrea Dezi in the middle of the box and the deadly Italian Striker skilfully redirected the ball into the bottom left corner to make it 4 goals for his personal tally and double figures for the Away side (0-10).

Towards the end of the opening 45mins the Home side regained some pride, defending strongly and demonstrating some great attacking play, but it wasn’t quite enough to get on the score sheet before half time.

Half Time: West Ham United Home 0-10 West Ham United Away

The Home side came out after half time determined to try to get a foothold in the game, however the Away team were to continue their excellent form right from the off. The goal coming after the ever dangerous Andrea Dezi charged forward and intercepted a pass to go one on one with Hipwell, before curling it round the stranded Keeper to put the Away side 11 goals clear (0-11).

The Home side try as they might, just couldn’t hold back the tide and a long pass out wide found No 7 Anthony Davies who carried the ball into the box and fired it across goal into the bottom left corner (0-12). However the Home side refused to let their heads go down and they continued to try to get themselves on the scoresheet regardless. And a chance eventually came for Captain Richard Jackson; however the No 9 couldn’t quite get it on target as he was crowded out by the Home defence.

The Home side continued to create chances, however when they came they couldn’t convert them and the Away side pushed further ahead. Anthony Davies got to a bouncing high ball perfectly and headed it forward to Andrea Dezi who skilfully chipped the Keeper to score his 6th of the game and equal the 2013 Goalscoring record (0-13)!

There was nothing the Home team could do to stop the next goal, with 57 mins on the clock No 14 Scott Challenger carried the ball into the box and fired it in between two defenders and past the Keeper straight into the opposite corner (0-14). To rub salt into the Home team's wounds, shortly afterwards Challenger carried the ball forward again and this time laid it off to No 10 Dean Hughes, who thumped the ball past the keeper from a difficult angle (0-15).

Some good passing by the Home team was interrupted when the ball was once again intercepted and the Away side countered with devastating impact again. No 5 Paolo Cavedon’s run was cut short, but a quick pass across the box to Stephen Hughes allowed the No 17 to chest the ball and volley it into the back of the net (0-16). The Home side were playing well but the Away team was in a class of their own!

The Away side were then awarded two free kicks in a row in dangerous areas. The 2nd kick was sent into the box and unfortunately for Hipwell he wasn't able to gather it at the 1st attempt and a number of Away players converged on the ball, with No 17 Stephen Hughes winning the race to put the ball into the back of the net (0-17).

The Away side attacked again when a ball into the box was beautifully controlled but the shot was blocked by a defender. However the rebound landed at the feet of No 7 Anthony Davies and the No 7 fired it straight past the keeper and into the back of the net for his hat-trick (0-18). The Away side were relentless in their pursuit of goals and after another attack they found themselves in behind the defence again. This time Stephen Hughes didn’t even need the teammate next to him, as he slid it casually past the keeper for his hat-trick (0-19).

The Home team were still putting up a great fight and a little frustration began to boil to the surface, and an argument or two broke out, however everything was quickly defused and play continued. Despite legs understandably being tired, the Home side were still defending as best they could and performing well but were unable to stop the final nail in their coffin being applied when the ball was crossed into the box and headed Home by No 15 Darren Walsh (0-20). 

The game ended soon after with the Home side suffering a resounding defeat, however many a side would have struggled against the hugely impressive Away side, who racked up an impressive 2013 Season record 20 goal haul.

Full Time: West Ham United Home 0 - 20 West Ham United Away

Man of the Match Home: Walter Schiro
Man of the Match Away: Dean Smith
Moment of the Match: Andrea Dezi

Home Team: Michael Hipwell, Alan Williams, Mike Burke, Rikki Williams, Craig Williams, Emilio Di Stasio, Antonio Polica, Richard Jackson (C), John Martin, Craig Bannister, Marco Polica, Francesco Bolognesi, Kevin Robertson, Walter Schiro
Home Mascot: Ellyn Williams

Away Team: Trumayne Lintonbon-Baker, Stephen Hughes, Stephen Lorey, Paolo Cavedon, Dean Smith, Anthony Davies, Richard Walsh, Marco Dezi, Dean Hughes, Andrea Dezi, Scott Challenger, Darren Walsh, Paul Leng (C), Stephen Hughes
Away Mascot: Jake Leng