Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Liverpool Game 3 2013

The 3rd and final game at Anfield on Mon 27th May 2013 lived up to the two games that had gone before, with both teams of LFC fans playing their part in what was an excellent game of football. Goals were few and far between, indicating that it was moments of exceptional play and the odd mistake that led to the goals, and despite the result ending up 4-0 to the Home team, both teams were very evenly matched and the fans greatly appreciated the efforts of all the players involved.

Date: Monday 27th May 2013
Venue: Anfield
Liverpool Home vs Liverpool Away
Game 3
Kick off: 6pm
Legend: Alan Kennedy
Match Officials: Alan Butler, Kurtis Windrow & Mick Southern

The players were treated to rousing speeches before the game by legend Alan Kennedy and this undoubtedly lifted the already enjoyable atmosphere for the players. They were soon parading out onto the pitch after following the tradition and touching the “This is Anfield” sign with due reverence on the way down the tunnel. After handshakes all round the coin toss was performed and the Home side chose to stay at the South end, facing the Kop, while the Away side kicked the game off.

The Away side started well, pushing for some early chances but having to fight the Home side to get close to the goal. In contrast the Home team weren't able to make much progress and the Away side continued to push forward as the half developed. It was a combination of their great passing skills and strong but clean tackles that meant they held onto possession more often than not. However the Home side did manage to create a very close chance on goal, but the team in Red were kept out by a superb diving save from Away Keeper Steve Exley.

The Away side continued to dominate, with the Home side having to resort to some long passes down the pitch, but these were being easily cut out by the Away defence. However the Home side began to up their game, and the next time they made it down the Away side’s end they were the first on the scoreboard. A close effort on goal was followed by a corner which was passed to Centre Mid Andrew Binks, the No 10 sent the ball into the box to Geoff Jackson and the No 7 curled an excellent effort into the net without a pause for thought, the ball flying over the Defence, giving Goalkeeper Exley no chance. The Home side taking the lead in the 22nd min (1-0).

The Home side continued to have all the luck as Away No 2 Simon Morrison was given a yellow card for a supposed deliberate hand ball and the Home side were awarded a free kick. Sadly it wasn’t put to good use as it went over the bar. Both sides were continuing to play some excellent passing football but the Home side were making more progress while the Away side struggled to get close enough to the Home team’s goal. Home Keeper Garry Hamill (who was playing his 2nd match of the day!) was being kept fairly busy, however the efforts he had to deal with were mainly from distance and they didn't have enough power behind them to seriously trouble him.

The Home team then struck again to further their lead. A wild high ball was volleyed forward by the Home side and picked up by No 11 Aidan Marciniak. The Striker twisted and turned, shrugged off a Defender and went one on one with Away Keeper Steve Exley, before nutmegging him with a shot that doubled his side's lead with 35 mins on the clock (2-0).

The Home team were on top now and they nearly went further ahead on 43 mins when Marciniak chipped the ball into the box for Andrew Binks. However the No 10 was crowded out by two Defenders and the Keeper and he failed to get off a dangerous shot. They broke through again moments later though after a long pass forward found Aidan Marciniak in the clear. The on fire Striker out-muscled a defender before unleashing a shot which was well saved initially, but not held, by Exley and the No 11 slotted the loose ball into the back of the net for his 2nd goal of the game (3-0).

The half ended shortly after with the Home side 3 goals to the good. Both sides had contributed enormously to the tie though and the Away side will have hoped they would gain greater rewards for their efforts in the 45 mins to come.

Half Time: Liverpool Home 3 - 0 Liverpool Away

There was a clear difference in the attitude in changing rooms at half time as the Away side tried to work out where they had gone wrong and how to get a foothold back into the game. The Home side, without resting on their laurels just yet, were certainly content with their lead and vowed to continue where they left off and the teams were soon back out on the pitch and ready to lock horns again.

The Home side really worked the passing from the off, outmanoeuvring the Away side. And they almost increased their lead after Marciniak received a long pass before beating his man and making it into the box. The No 11 then slid the ball past the Keeper; however he also slid it just past the post. The Away side, while they did get up the Home end, were unable to get shots on goal no matter how hard they tried, with the formidable Home defence continuing to prove too strong.

The Home team’s attack was exceptional as well and they continued to get into space and evade they Away defence. This was demonstrated when No 9 Andy Ray after a long pass into the middle of the pitch allowed him the space to get into the box and go one on one with the keeper. Unfortunately for Ray, Goalkeeper Steve Exley was able to get his hand to the ball and his Defence was able to gain control of the rebound and clear the ball away from danger.

The Home defence weren't getting things all their way though, and after a free kick was played into the box No 10 Christopher Ward was brought down and the Referee pointed to the spot. Ward brushed himself down and stepped up to the take the penalty himself, however his effort from the spot was brilliantly stopped on the line by keeper Gary Hamill and the Home team's clean-sheet remained intact!

The Home side continued to execute some well judged long balls and were getting dangerously close to scoring again. Despite having been in their own half for a period of time when the Away side put pressure on them, the Home team were still looking dangerous when they made it up the opposite end. And their steady rate of attack eventually wore down the defence after a through ball from No 10 Andrew Binks, and superb acceleration from Aidan Marciniak allowed the latter to go head to head with the Keeper. The deadly Striker coolly slid it past Exley and into the back of the net for his hat-trick (4-0).

With only a few mins left on the clock and the Home team enjoying a 4 goal lead it didn’t look like the Away side had much chance of a comeback. And sure enough the game ended soon after with the Away side's desperate efforts to make it onto the score board coming to nothing. The impressive Home team ran out impressive 4-0 winners in the end and thanks to Hamill's penalty save they even achieved a rare Football Aid clean-sheet as well. Despite the scoreline the Away team marched off the pitch with their heads held high and the rousing reception both teams received from their fans reflected their huge appreciation of the excellent efforts of all the players involved. 

Full Time: Liverpool Home 4 - 0 Liverpool Away

Man of the Match Home: Aidan Marciniak
Man of the Match Away: Richard Hindley
Moment of the Match: Garry Hamill

Home Team: Garry Hamill (C), John Connors, Alan Kennedy (1st Half), Inge Åsen,
Robert Svedjan, Geoff Jackson, Mark Ray, Andy Ray, Andrew Binks, Aidan Marciniak, Michael Gamble, Richard Johnson
Home Mascot: Michael Ray

Away Team: Steve Exley, Simon Morrison, Alan Kennedy (2nd Half), Richard Hindley, 
Ugo Greevy (C), Natheir Alaccad, Michail Retsinas, Wayne Liu, Roberto Donay, Christopher Ward, Mohammed Accad, Alex Smal, Eamonn Ward
Away Mascot: Lexi Liu