Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Leicester City 2013

Our 2013 match at the King Power certainly gave the Foxes fans in attendance something to cheer about, with 11 goals scored and lots more entertainment besides. With an evening kick-off and overcast conditions on the night the players got the unique privilege of playing at the impressive King Power Stadium under floodlights and the Away team certainly shone in the end, running out 2-9 winners after an impressive 2nd half performance. 

Date: Thursday 23rd May 2013
Venue: The King Power Stadium
Leicester City Home vs Leicester City Away
Kick off: 7:30pm
Legends: Steve Walsh
Match Officials: Dave Bullen, Martyn Jarvis and Matt Law

As the Foxes fans prepared for the game to kick off they both received stirring team talks from former Club Captain Steve Walsh, and suitably encouraged the players marched out onto the King Power pitch determined to do themselves justice. After both lines of teams shook hands, the Captains proceeded with the coin toss and the Away side elected to shoot the way they were facing and let the Home side kick off.

Both sides started strongly, with the Home side edging the early encounters and the team in Blue and White created the first real chance of the game when No 11 Hemel Majithia hammered a shot at goal, however a diving save from Keeper Mark Preston stopped it reaching the intended target. However the resulting corner kick was swung dangerously into the box by Gogs Gogna and Hemel Majithia was in the right place at the right time to meet it perfectly and deflect a header into the far corner of the net. The Home side taking the lead with just 15 mins on the clock (1-0).

The Away side responded well though, coming back quickly with two chances and retaining possession in the Home end of the pitch. Both teams were fighting hard to get the ball though but the Away side were mostly retaining it and the team in White shirts continued to create chances while the Home side weren’t able to get into their opposition's box. When they did though they managed a fantastic effort on goal which really worked Mark Preston in the Away goal.

The Away side answered right back though when their captain Michael Dalton, led by example scoring an excellent goal. A long pass found No 9 Dave Taylor who played the ball into the middle where Dalton controlled it beautifully and put it into the bottom right corner to level the scores on 34mins (1-1). The Home came close minutes later but a great save again from Preston kept the effort out and a well timed tackle ensured the follow up was blocked as well. The Home side called for a penalty but the ref was having none of it and indicated a corner kick to be taken instead.

The Home side tried again to score soon after but once again great Keeping from Mark Preston denied them the lead. The Away side then hit back once again, and it was the same man inflicting the damage! No 8 Michael Dalton received the ball and after beating a defender with ease he sprinted past the rest of the covering defence and showed composure to finish the run off with a shot into the bottom left corner (1-2). The Away side's lead came on the strike of halftime and the Home side were unable to reply before the ref blew his whistle for the break moments later.

Half Time: Leicester City Home 1 - 2 Leicester City Away

After a much needed rest and plenty of intense discussions in the dressing rooms, both teams were back on the pitch and raring to go. The Away side were still dominant though and they immediately worked the ball down into the home end of the pitch and into the net in the 46th minute. The goal came about after some great wing play by Dave Taylor, the No 9 then unselfishly squaring the ball for No 11 Brendan Johnson, who fired the ball into the bottom left corner from 6 yards out (1-3).

The Away side appeared unstoppable and they proceeded to score their 2nd of the half 5 mins later. A lovely back heel from 2nd half sub Sam Davis found No 6 Adrian Landers, who turned with the ball superbly and finished a great move off by smashing the ball into the back of the net before celebrating in style by running over to the stands, fist pumping the air in delight! The Away side were now three goals in the clear in the 51st min (1-4).

The Away side continued to dominate in the number of chances created and at times the Home side were finding it difficult to get out of their own half. However the Home side weren’t completely finished though and a great save from Preston was needed to keep No 14 Luke Donald’s dangerous looking shot out of the net. A free kick on the left hand edge of the box was the Home side’s next chance but the mass of Defenders managed to get it away before their lead was reduced. The game was slowly turning around though with the Home side getting closer and closer to getting shots on goal, while the Away side couldn’t get out of their own half. This persistence paid off for the Home side after a good tackle led to a pass to No 14 Luke McDonald, who carried the ball into the box, beat a defender and the slid the ball past the keeper into the net (2-4). The Home side were now only 2 goals behind in the 67th min.

The Away side were to prove to be good for them though and they started to pull away less than a min later. No 5 John Vint sent a brilliant through ball into the box that was picked up by Dave Taylor, who was playing in his 9th and final game of the season. The Striker out muscled his marker before chipping the ball past the keeper, scoring his side's 5th of the night and his 10th goal of the Football Aid season at the same time (2-5)!

The Away side continued to dominate and they increased their lead soon after. No 9 Taylor played the ball into the box to No 4 Elliott Plant, who turned with the ball well and sent an excellent curling left foot shot high over the keeper and into the top left corner of the net. He then performed the celebration known as “The Log”, jumping up in the air with his hands by his side. The Away side were now four goals clear and it didn’t look good for the Home team (2-6).

The Away side simply couldn’t be contained, Elliott Plant carried the ball into the box and beat a defender but his shot didn’t quite make it into the goal, the Home defence tried to clear but No 8 Michael Dalton came sliding in to put the ball into the net and complete his hat-trick (2-7). The Away side were now 5 goals clear with less than 15 mins to go and the result looked set in stone. And it looked even more so when they scored again mins later. A through ball to Michael Dalton on the right wing allowed him to carry the ball into the box, his attempted pass came back to him after coming off a team mate and Dalton collected it again and rolled it past the keeper into the bottom right corner (2-8). The Away side had pulled even further ahead with under 10mins to go.

The Away side still had time to twist the knife in again after a long pass found Captain Michael Dalton in the clear. The impressive No 8 went one on one with the keeper and sent a beautiful chip over the Keeper's head and into the back of the net for his 5th goal of the game (2-9)!

The Home team tried to hit back in retaliation, however the game ended soon after with the Away side running out convincing winners in the end. The Home side will have been disappointed with the final score, however with 25mins left they were still in the game and it was only a devastating scoring spree from the clinical team in White that put paid to their chances.

Full Time: Leicester City Home 2 - 9 Leicester City Away

Man of the Match Home: Luke McDonald
Man of the Match Away: Michael Dalton
Moment of the Match: Mark Preston

Home Team: James Ludlam, Ben Kitchen, Darryl Beecham, Spencer Hill, Thomas Clarke, Mark Barnett, Gogs Gogna, William Birch, Jon Dixon (C), Hemel Majithia, Luke McDonald, Leo Moore, Billy Wakefield
Manager: Steve Walsh
Mascot: Polly Dixon

Away Team: Mark Preston, Martin Baker, Elliott Plant, John Vint, Adrian Landers,
Wasim Munshi, Michael Dalton (C), Dave Taylor, Jonathan Sparks, Brendan Johnson,
Sam Davis, John Vint, Seamus Bolger
Manager: Steve Walsh
Mascot: Jacob Dalton