Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Norwich City 2013

It was an early start for our Norwich City fans in 2013, with our game at Carrow Road kicking off at 10am on Wed 22nd May. However the fans involved didn't show any signs of lethargy, with their energetic efforts providing great entertainment for the watching Canaries fans. An abundance of Club Legends were involved as well, with Punton, Oldfield and Allcock Managing, while Huckerby, Forbes and Roberts did the honours on the pitch, and this undoubtedly made the game even more enjoyable for all those involved. The Home team edged the match 4-2 in the end; however both teams gained huge enjoyment from a memorable game of football.

Date: Wednesday 22nd May 2013
Venue: Carrow Road
Norwich City Home vs Norwich City Away
Kick Off: 10am
Managers: Bill Punton, Peter Oldfield and Terry Allcock
Legends: Darren Huckerby, Adrian Forbes and Iwan Roberts
Match Officials: Peter Venables, Ray Green, Lewis Venables and Keith Greensides

After a brief, but intense warm up period the teams strode out onto the pitch, shook hands with the opposition and the match officials, before the Captains met for the coin toss. The Home side won and elected to start at the Barclay Stand end while the Away side kicked off, and the team in all Black strips started very strongly, controlling play and keeping the ball up the Home end. The Home side then pushed back up the other end and began to get on top, creating a few chances at the same time. One such chance came when their Legend Darren Huckerby sent a dangerous ball into the box which was met by No 11 Dean Hurren who ran onto the ball and hammered a shot at goal, however an Away Defender managed to get in the way right on the line.

Another superb chance came soon after, when Legend Darren Huckerby intercepted a pass from Away Keeper Danny Emmerson and smacked the ball straight back at him from 20 yards out, only for it to go just the wrong side of the post. The Home side continued to send long balls up field, but Emmerson was responding well, playing as an extra Defender at times and clearing well with his feet. Darren Huckerby pounced on another loose pass at the back but his effort just missing the target again. At the other end of the pitch Home Keeper Gary Thomas was tested once or twice but nothing tested the big keeper massively and the Home side continued to have most of the possession in the attacking areas of the pitch.

The Home side’s persistence soon paid off though, a well placed long pass found No 8 Tom Beales who controlled the ball well and out-muscled a defender before slotting it past Emmerson and into the bottom of the net (1-0). It had taken just 22mins for the Home to take the lead. The Home side continued to get shots on goal despite the Away side’s best efforts, with a long shot coming in from Beales once again that was caught by the Keeper. The Away side managed to create a couple of chances but none seemed to threaten the other side too severely.

The Home side broke through again on 35 mins though, some brilliant play in the box came to nothing and the ball was cleared by the Away defence before being sent back in from a long high pass which was laid off to No 11 Dean Hurren, who half-volleyed the ball into the back of the net with ease (2-0). The Away side attempted to claim for offside but the touchline officials were having none of it. 

The Away side occasionally got up the other end after that but never posed too much of a threat to the Home side. While the team in Yellow and Green continued to put pressure on the Away team, getting in on goal numerous times and they would have succeeded in increasing their lead had it not been for some steadfast Defending from the Away side. Hurren nearly managed to score again but passed the ball instead of shooting and the ball was then cleared. 

As half time approached the Away side’s best chance of the half came to nothing when a great tackle from No 7 Shaun Howes and a subsequent save from Keeper Gary Thomas denied the Men in Black. Half time was soon upon the teams and it was clear one side would be happier with their 1st half performance.

Half Time: Norwich City Home 2 - 0 Norwich City Away

Some tough talk followed for both sides from their respective Managers and the experience of those doing the talking would certainly impart new life and purpose back into the game. The teams soon game back onto the pitch and the early action was a bit closer than before the break but the Away side continued to be called offside as they tried to use the long ball. The Away side slowly started to pick up their game though and they were getting closer to opening their account, with a quick charge down from Goalkeeper Thomas preventing a goal. 

However the Home side continued to hold the upper hand and their renewed pressure soon paid of when Huckerby's searing run and pass into the box was met by No 9 Stuart Macnab-Grieve who beat his man and slid the ball past the keeper into the bottom of the net (3-0). The Home side were now 3 goals clear after 57 mins and things were looking bleak for the Away side. 

They didn’t let that affect them however, and started to push back. Another great save from the Home keeper stopped a chipped effort from going in and then another chance went just over the bar. Signs of a comeback were brushed aside by the Home team though; they proceeded to go straight up the other end where a chip ahead found Tom Beales. The No 8 carried the ball into the box, went one on one with the keeper and coolly played the ball over the keeper and into the net (4-0). With the Home side four goals clear in the 62nd min it didn’t look as if the Away side would be able to make a comeback. 

Soon after the Away side finally claimed the goal their efforts deserved though. There was a touch of fortune about the way the ball made its way into the box, but when it found its way to No 11 David Traynor, the Striker made no mistake and slipped it past the previously unbeatable Thomas (4-1). Traynor then proceeded to perform an impressive airplane celebration as he made his way back up the pitch to cheers from the crowd. The Away side were now only three goals behind in the 68th minute. 

The Home side nearly struck back mins later though and only a last ditch tackle from the Away defence and courageous dive on the ball from Keeper Danny Emmerson prevented another goal for Home team.

With both teams creating chances it was the Away side who managed to strike again. A clever bit of passing got the ball into space in the box where No 4 Michael Lee beat a Defender and sent the ball past the Goalkeeper into the back of the net (4-2). The deficit was now down to 2 goals with less than 5mins to go. Could this be the start of a late, late comeback for the Away side? 

Unfortunately it wasn't to be, with the team in Black being denied by some excellent Goalkeeping from Home No 1 Gary Thomas, who put his body on the line more than once to stop marauding Away players getting in behind the Defence. 

The final whistle blew soon after to bring to an end what had been an excellent 90mins, with Darren Huckerby's Home team edging out the Away side who were superbly led by Legends Adrian Forbes and Iwan Roberts. 

Full Time: Norwich City Home 4 - 2 Norwich City Away

Man of the Match Home: Gary Thomas
Man of the Match Away: Scott Whitmore
Moment of the Match: Michael Lee

Home Team: Gary Thomas, Alex Tuck, Darren Huckerby, Tony Kuypers,Mark Oxborough-Sharp, Baljinder Singh, Shaun Howes, Tom Beales, Stuart Macnab-Grieve, Daniel Green, Dean Hurren, Liam Bailey (C), Kevin Banks, Malcolm Green
Managers: Bill Punton & Peter Oldfield
Home Mascots: Jack Bailey & Arlo Bailey

Away Team: Danny Emmerson, Ben Leslie, Adrian Forbes, Iwan Roberts, Michael Lee, Scott Whitmore, Gary Jones, Mark Mills, Steve Plunkett, Andrew Preston, Henry Summers (C), David Traynor
Manager: Terry Allcock
Away Mascots: Jake Summers & Charlie Summers