Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Everton Game 2 2013

The 2nd Everton game of the day was no less exciting than the first despite having a few less goals on the score sheet. Both teams were extremely evenly matched and it was a hard fought battle from start to finish. With some fantastic action and some great goals it was memorable event for all the Toffees fans watching and playing.

Date: Tuesday 14th May 2013
Venue: Goodison Park
Everton Home vs Everton Away
Game 2
Kick off: 2:30pm
Legends: Stuart Barlow
Match Officials: Gary Dinsmore, Adam Scregg and Joe Pettit

With all the players and officials stripped and ready for action, the teams strode out onto the pitch to the applause of their fans. This set the scene for the excellent game to come which was to prove to be a thriller for all those involved. The Away side won the toss and elected to kick off, both teams were very enthusiastic and the game got of to a quick start with the pace remaining high as the ball went back and forth with each team seeking the advantage.

Some excellent passing ensued from the Home side, but to no avail. The team in Blue continued to press and a cleverly controlled ball on the chest and a spectacular lobbed shot from No9 Martin Whitehead almost resulted in the opening goal. Away keeper Pavol Holeczy had to leap acrobatically to get his hand to the shot, giving the Home side a corner. However the corner came to nothing after a volleyed attempt went wide.

Both sides were passing the ball exceptionally and had great variety to their play, but both fell short of breaking clear and getting shots on target. However both sides almost managed to break away a few times, but were closed down by the opposing defence. Home No11 Aarron Cropley was one of the closest, almost making the long pass sent forward, however Away Keeper Holeczy was having none of it, his well timed tackle sending the ball and player flying. The Home team continued to make chances, with No 8 Alex Lewis almost getting a shot in on goal before another well timed tackle cleared the danger.

The Home side were becoming more dominant, preventing the Away side from getting out of their half. Their passing continued to impress, creating yet another chance as they managed to slip the ball into space just outside the box. This time it was the Home Captain Declin Ward firing in a sliding effort, but it was scooped up by Holeczy once again. Despite their pressure the Home side simply couldn’t convert their chances!

The Away side soon capitalized on this inability to finish and a quick attack resulted in a fantastic goal. A long, arching shot into the box came off a Home defender and landed at the feet of Away Captain Tom Mills, who led by example and fired his volley just beyond Keeper Michael Moglione’s reach into the back of the net in the 37th min (0-1). The Home side didn’t let this affect them though and were looking to strike back when a free kick was awarded 30 yards out. Legend Stuart Barlow sent in a perfect cross into the box, but his teammates were unable to capitalise on it.

The sides continued to look very even, occasionally creating chances but unable to apply that finishing touch. The Away team nearly managed to extend their lead with a great cross into the box which regular Football Aid supporter John Cotton couldn’t quite redirect towards the net and neither team could get the break-through and the score remained 0-1 at half time.

Half Time: Everton Home 0-1 Everton Away

After a quick break for the players to recover and discuss how they might breakdown their opposition's defence, play recommenced. The two teams immediately locked horns again struggling to further the score line.

Then, as the Away side looked to move upfield one of the players wasn’t quite able to control the ball and was pounced on by Home No 7 Tim Summerfield. He stole the ball and made his way to the right hand corner of the penalty box where a desperate defender shouldered him down and off the ball, and the referee promptly awarded a penalty kick. After doing so well to earn the kick, Summerfield showed great confidence by lining up to take it himself. Unfortunately for the Home side, his well struck effort went narrowly past the Keeper's left-hand post.

If anything the Home team pushed harder after they were denied a goal. An excellent run by Striker Aaron Cropley was closed down by 3 defenders, but the Away keeper failed to clear effectively and the ball was recovered by the impressive Home No 14 Richard Denny. He promptly slipped passed a number of defenders before perfectly laying it off to Midfielder Matthew Mullen, who half volleyed the ball into the bottom right corner of the goal, levelling the scores in the 56th minute (1-1).

The game continued apace with the Away side almost striking back but being deemed offside. Both teams were charging from end to end searching to get ahead but both defences were holding strong. The Away side, however, were beginning to look stronger as they shut down their opposition's attack while getting off more shots at goal at the opposite end. However the Home side were not to be forgotten though, as they still created chances of their own, with No 14 Denny attempting a shot from what must have been 40 yards out, which Holeczy only just managed to hold on to.

The game continued to sway back and forth in favour of either side. A particularly well placed low cross almost resulted in the Away team pulling in front but the shot that resulted was quickly headed clear. Chances continued to come thick and fast but neither side was rewarded with a goal. A good corner from the Home team was punched clear by opposing keeper Holeczy, while what looked to be a goal scoring run from the Away side was shut down by Captain Declin Ward once again, after he managed to get back and block the effort from the attacker.

Despite not making as many chances as their opponents, it was the Home side that got themselves on the score sheet once again. After a well timed sliding tackle in the far left corner of the pitch the Home team were awarded a throw in. A well placed cross from the boot of the marauding fullback Hugh McKillop was met by the head of Richard Denney, who expertly redirected the ball past the Keeper, despite Holeczy's leaping dive. The big No 14's bullet of a header giving the Home team the lead in the 64th min (2-1).

The Home team nearly pulled further ahead after a long pass upfield was latched onto by the pacy Alex Lewis; however despite being in the clear, the No 8 pulled his shot just wide of the left hand post. The Away side were also looking to level the scoreline; almost doing so after a clever little chip hit a Defender’s head and landed at the feet of 2nd half sub Alan McDermott. He managed to get a touch but unfortunately his redirection went just wide. The Men in Black nearly struck again moments later when Legend Stuart Barlow, who had made a team change at half time, beat his man to fire off a low shot at the bottom right corner, only to be denied by keeper Moglione.

The Away team continued to press the opposition and their efforts paid off on 77mins. An excellent back heel flick sent the ball to Barlow who then slid the ball past the three defenders converging on him to No 9 John Cotton who was in the clear. Arms were raised in protestation at him being offside and the Home side lamented the judgement of the linesman, but their complaints fell on deaf ears as Cotton coolly slid the ball past Moglione, to level the score once again (2-2).

The Home side immediately searched for another goal, hoping the Away team had become complacent but this was not to be the case. Both defences stayed strong and the teams continued to vie back and forth, hoping to come out on top. It was not until the Home side were awarded a free kick did the score change. A foul on their No 8 Lewis resulted in a kick just inside his team's half. This resulting kick was expertly played into the danger area and after a bit of confusion with his defender's, Holeczy couldn't claim the ball and it was fired into the net by none other than Alex Lewis himself, on hand to put his side ahead again on 81 mins. He celebrated in style as well, with a bit of corner flag "shadow boxing" that Tim Cahill would have been proud of (3-2)!

The Away side attempted to strike back quickly and they were very nearly successful after No 17 Andrew Hutchings was left in the clear with the opportunity to lob the Keeper. However the Left Midfielder was to be denied as Moglione was waiting for the shot on the goal line.

Both teams continued to come close to scoring and the Away team really looked to be pushing for the equaliser as the clock moved towards full time, but luck was not on their side despite having a number of shots on goal. However they didn’t have to wait too long, after a glorious effort from Stephen Diggory flew into the goal from 25 yards out. The ever impressive No 10 sent the ball rocketing high into the net, just out of reach of the Keeper’s fingertips, levelling the scores again with only 4mins left (3-3).

This fantastic goal proved to be a fitting climax to the game, as it ended all level soon after, with neither team able to achieve glory. However both sets of Everton fans were able to revel in the enjoyment of what had been a hugely hard fought and extremely close match.

Full Time: Everton Home 3-3 Everton Away

Man of the Match Home: Richard Denny
Man of the Match Away: Ben Dermott
Moment of the Match: Stephen Diggory

Home Team: Michael Moglione, Hugh McKillop, Stuart Barlow (1st Half), Declin Ward (C), Paul Kinsella, Matthew Mullen, Tim Summerfield, Alex Lewis, Martin Whitehead, Aarron Cropley, Richard Denny, Jonathan Good, Alex Lewis, Graeme Stokes
Home Mascot: Cameron Shaw

Away Team: Pavol Holeczy, Stein Sherlock, Stuart Barlow (2nd Half), Mark Sixsmith, Alan Brown, Ian Dermott, Ben Dermott, Graeme Stokes, John Cotton, Steven Diggory,
Tom Mills (C), Ian Dermott, Alan McDermott, Spencer Atkinson, Andrew Hutchings
Away Mascot: Alfie Hall