Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Rangers 2013

The Football Aid 2013 season kicked off at Ibrox on Sat 27th April, with a hugely exciting game, featuring some great saves and plenty of chances at both ends. During the first half the Home team had the better share of the spoils and went in 3-1 ahead, thanks largely to them controlling possession. The 2nd half was dominated in the early stages by the Away team as they mounted a comeback. But as legs grew tired the Home team managed to score two late goals to put the game beyond doubt.

Date: Saturday 27th April 2013
Venue: Ibrox
Rangers Home vs Rangers Away
Kick Off: 11:00am
Legends & Managers: Gordon Smith, Ally Dawson & Gary McSwegan
Match Officials: Angela McLuckie, Karen Graham, Angela Harrison
and Emma Baird

Ibrox ahead of our Rangers 2013 Match

As both teams strutted out onto the Ibrox turf, with the iconic ‘Simply The Best’ accompanying them and the sun beating down, it was clear for all to see the excitement and pride etched on each player’s face as they thought about the 90 mins that lay ahead. It was the Home team, sporting the unmistakable Royal Blue shirt, white shorts and red and white socks, that kicked off proceedings and it was they who controlled the opening stages of play, creating a chance inside the 5th min. A good interception by Guidera led to Gibson’s early effort from 25-yards, but it sailed over the bar.

The Home side continued to apply pressure on the Away team’s defence during the next few mins, which resulted in a corner, after McGrory was forced to put the ball behind after a good through ball from Bremner. The corner found the head of MacFarlane but the ball just ended up on the wrong side of the crossbar.

After some more good pressing play by the Home team, the Away side managed to get their first shot at goal on the 14th min. A quick counter-attack by the Away team resulted in Bruce having a long-range shot from the right-hand side of the pitch, but the shot zipped narrowly past the post.

The deadlock was finally broken on the 19th min when McSwegan played a well placed through ball over the Away defence and into the path of the oncoming Frankie McGovern. The No 9 controlled the ball on the edge of the area before coolly chipping the ball over GK Gordon Love, who found himself stranded well off his line. (1-0)

The Ibrox scoreboard records the 1st goal of the 2013 season
Just 5 mins later the Home team followed up their earlier strike with another good goal, this time coming from their Legend Gary McSwegan. After some good build-up play in their opponent’s half, the ball found its way to McSwegan, who unleashed a well placed strike from 25-yards into the bottom left corner of the net, despite the best efforts of Away GK Love. (2-0)

Despite holding a good position on the score board, the Home side refused to sit back and defend their two goal lead, instead opting to try and add another to the tally. The breakthrough came on the 33rd min when another defence splitting pass from McSwegan connected with Frankie McGovern. This time the No 9 took the ball to the edge of the 6-yard box and slotted under the keeper (3-0).

This 3rd goal was followed by a period of pressure applied by the Away team and included two corners and a free-kick. The 2nd corner ended in the Away team making their 1st mark on the score board, after a poor defensive clearance and a deflected volley by Lindsay was met by a venomous strike from Ross Main. The Away No 10's shot managed to avoid the bodies in the box and the on-looking GK McBride, and ended up in the bottom left corner of the net (3-1).

A midfield battle ensued, with both teams trying to get another goal going into the break, but neither team were able to capitalise on the few half-chances that were created, so the score remained 3-1 as the whistle to signal the end of the half was blown.

Halftime in the Rangers 2013 Match
Half-Time: Rangers Home 3 - 1 Rangers Away

The 2nd half was kicked off by the Away side, but the Home team quickly gained possession and the midfield battle continued on from the end of the first half.

The 1st chance of the half was created by the Away team, after a good pass from McBride found Welsh and he rounded McNaught, before placing a good shot towards the top left corner of the goal, but it was plucked out of the air by GK McBride.

The next major chance came on the 49th min, in the form of a free-kick for the Home team 23-yards out, awarded after MacFarlane went down under the challenge of Cunningham. Home Captain Stewart Henderson stepped up and fired his shot under the wall, however Away GK Love matched his effort, pulling off a good save.

The Home team continued to apply pressure as they got more comfortable on the ball and had it not been for a goal-line block by Cunningham, MacFarlane would have found the net after a ball over the top of the Away team defence was missed by the GK and fell to the Home team striker, however he was unable to convert the chance.

After a rocky start to the 2nd half, the Away team began to get into their stride, and started playing some good football. Their first major chance in the half came from a free-kick in the 55th min, after a quick counter-attack resulted in Welsh being fouled on the edge of the area by McNaught. Smith took the set-piece but his shot looped over the bar for a goal kick.

The Away side now looked to be gaining control of the match, with some excellent runs and passing, all they lacked was the clinical finish in the final third. Main then saw his shot from distance go wide of the right-hand post on the 56 min mark after an excellent piece of dribbling from Cunningham.

On the 59th min the Away team again carved out a good chance, this time coming from Lindsay making two ‘one-two’ passes before beating Langlands on the edge of the box, however he fired wide of the post and the scores remained level going into the final third of the match.

The Home side finally managed to create a chance in the 60th min, when a good cross from Watson met the foot of MacFarlane, however Love was easily able to collect the ball in the air and the attack was quelled.

Moments later, it was the Away team again on the attack. This time McSwegan, who after swapping sides at half-time was now playing in the middle of the park for the Away side, played a good ball through to Away No 9 Terry Rickeard, who showed great composure and skill to chip the ball over the advancing GK and into the bottom right corner of the net for his first goal of the game (3-2).

After a long period of gridlock between both teams, the Away team came agonizingly close to scoring the equaliser after some good build up play led to McSwegan teeing up Welsh for a shot at goal. His strike, however, only found the outstretched McBride who stopped the shot and the ball was eventually cleared.

The 75th min provided the next goal, and this time it came from the Home team. Neat build-up play, in a period that was largely dominated by the Away side, ended with Henderson giving the ball to Home No 11 David MacFarlane, who had his first shot saved but made no mistake with the rebound, scoring his first of the game after several attempts (4-2).

After their 4th goal, the Home team began to re-assert the dominance they had in the 1st half, creating chances and playing attractive football. On the 77th min, Watson struck a volley from 25-yards which dipped down towards the goal but was saved by a fantastic dive from Love, who managed to get a palm to it.

Making a surprise appearance for the Home team in the last ten mins was Gers Legend Gordon Smith, who slotted comfortably into the defence, and a few good touches and some slick passing showed that he hasn’t lost any of his considerable skills!

Gordon Smith replacing 2 Goal Hero Frankie McGovern

The final goal came in the 84th min for the Home side, effectively securing the victory. A good piece of vision to pick out Redpath left him out on the left with time and space. After knocking the ball past one defender he then cut inside and played the ball across the goal to 2nd half sub Barry Watson on the edge of the 6-yard box. Watson controlled the ball, and calmly stroked it past Love and into the net (5-2).

In the short time that remained, neither team managed to create any clear-cut chances and the game ended as the 1st half had, with a battle for possession in the middle of the park that rounded off a hugely exciting match.

Full-Time: Rangers Home 5 - 2 Rangers Away

Man of the Match Home: Sean Guidera
Man of the Match Away: Scott Cunningham
Moment of the Match: Terry Rickeard

Home Team: Greig McBride, Derek McLeod, Gary McSwegan (1st Half), Sean Guidera, John Bremner, George Bremner, David Gibson, Andrew Langlands, Frankie McGovern, Stewart Henderson (C), David Macfarlane, Barry Watson, Craig McNaught, Ian Redpath
Manager: Gordon Smith
Mascot: Jamie Gibson

Away Team: Gordon Love, Scott Cunningham, Gary McSwegan (2nd Half), Gareth Houston, Andrew McGrory, Marc Cameron, Chris Bruce, Terry Rickeard, Ross Main, David Welsh, Graham McBride, Craig Smith, Ryan McBride, Andrew Lindsay
Manager: Ally Dawson
Mascot: Reiss Love