Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

West Ham Game 2 2012

It wasn't quite the warm and sunny Tuesday afternoon which one might expect in the summer months, however the excited Hammers fans arrived in good spirits for the 2nd Football Aid game of the day at the highly impressive Boleyn Ground. The players were thrilled to have the chance to pull on their personalised kits and march out of the tunnel to grace the same hallowed turf that had been played on by their heroes. The players were all cheerful that their team had overcome the disappointment of relegation last year and successfully been promoted back to the Premier League.

Tuesday 12th of June 2012
West Ham Utd Home vs West Ham Utd Away
Game 2
Kick Off: 2:30pm
Match Officials: Gordon Manning, Andrew Hickman, Val (Anekwe) Tusker and Freddie Collins

It was the Hammers Home team playing in the famous Claret & Blue that got the action underway at the Boleyn ground on Tuesday afternoon. Both teams started with a good intensity and looked to get the ball down on the deck and play football.

The Away team looked dangerous after only 4 mins having been given a free kick just outside the box. Mike Burke delivered a dangerous, low cross into the path of Jaspal Bassan who forced James Moss to parry the ball wide for a corner. The resulting corner was cleared for another one and this time a great ball in from Anderson was not dealt with, leaving Ray Calder to power a half volley into the back of the net. A fantastic goal and a great start to the game! (0-1)

14 mins in and Home No 11 Kevin Thorne dispossessed his opponent, before embarking on a driving run from his own half towards goal. However his left footed attempt from around 25 yards out lacked accuracy and didn't trouble the goalkeeper, as it comfortably passed the right hand post.

Shortly after Dave Taylor nearly doubled the Away team's lead after a driving run down the right hand side. Despite having two players around him he managed a fantastic right footed effort which forced James Moss into a good save.

At this stage both sides were fighting hard for possessions in midfield, however neither team could get the killer ball through on goal, with both James and Edward Moss untroubled by any real efforts on goal.

As the clock went past the half hour mark a lovely turn in the middle of the park from Steven Foott allowed space to play through No 6 David Anderson, whose powerful left footed strike went just past the left post.

Home No 2 John Davies then showed some great skill after making a great challenge on Jaspal Bassan, to then bring the ball down beautifully and play the ball up the line to his team mate.

Next up a good driving run from Renato Cecini down the left hand side, saw his cross not dealt with by Zachary Thomas allowing Stewart Stedman space. The No 16 then perfectly placed a strike into the top right corner of the goal leaving Edward Moss with no chance of making a save. The Home team equaliser coming with 33 mins on the clock. (1-1)

Then some lovely football from the Home team, started by Chris Jackson, allowed the midfield to collect the ball and play Kevin Thorne down the left wing. Thorne used his pace to push forward towards goal before slotting the ball into the bottom right hand corner. It was a fantastic team goal, giving the Home team the lead only 3 mins after their equaliser. (2-1)

The half time whistle blew and the players make their way to the dressing rooms after a highly competitive first half.

Half-Time: West Ham Home 2 - 1 West Ham Away

The Away team kick off the 2nd half hoping to regain the lead which they had lost late on in the first, and they were to start well. After 47 minutes Richard Jackson found himself through on goal; however his left footed strike was dealt with well by Edward Moss who tipped it onto the post. It was a promising start to the 2nd half for the team in Light Blue.

An excellent lofted ball from James Thorne left an aerial battle between James Moss and Steven Foott for the ball. Moss came out on top having been fouled by Foott, however it was still a good chance for the Away team who were desperately looking for a way back into the match.

James Thorne and Foott then linked up again moments later, but the No 11 couldn't keep his effort down, with his attempted chip over the keeper going just over the bar.

Soon after Home No 11 Kevin Thorne whipped in a delightful cross from the left hand side, setting up Richard Jackson with a free header, but the Centre Forward couldn’t control the ball and it went over the bar.

On 52 mins the ball was picked up by Ray Pryse on the half way line, and the Home No 7 played a long pass into the feet of Dave Wheatley. The Football Aid regular turned and unleashed a powerful right footed effort past the outstretched arm of the keeper and into the back of the net to increase the Home team's lead. (3-1)

The Away team kept pressing however and some good build up play led to Steven Foott seeing his left footed shot comfortably saved by James Moss.

Some lovely skill from Ray Calder then saw him nutmeg a defender and go past another to go to the bi-line, before a perfect cut back to James Thorne allowed the midfielder to calmly slot the ball into the back of the net and reduce the deficit just after the hour mark. (3-2)

Giovanni Rechichi was then dispossessed just outside the Away team’s 18 yard box with the stray ball finding the feet of James Thorne. Thorne laid the ball out wide to the left wing for Steven Fott to unleash a powerful strike, however Edward Moss was equal to it and the scoreline remained the same.

The Home team then picked up a free kick 25 yards out, on the far left hand side of the pitch with 72 mins on the clock. Stuart Stedman stepped up for the Home team and floated a high ball into the box. The ball was too high for the attackers, as well as the defenders and the keeper and curled beautifully into the top right hand corner of the goal. Although modest in his celebrations the Home No 16 had certainly scored a spectacular goal! (4-2)

Stephen Davies then found space in the box; however his right footed effort was saved by Edward Moss. The loose ball fell towards Richard Jackson’s feet but Zachary Thomas denied his effort with a spectacular acrobatic clearance. Great defensive play from the Away No 4!

Some lovely football was being played in the middle of the park by both teams, with the ball finding Steven Foott on the left wing on one such occasion. His delightful cross was controlled by Dave Taylor, who proceeded to shoot at goal, however Home No 5 Ian Final used tremendous pace and determination to get the slightest of touches to deflect the shot before the effort was brilliantly touched over the bar by James Moss, much to the delight of his teammates.

Despite being two goals up the Home team kept pressing in the hope of getting another goal to seal the game. Stephen Davies showed good awareness to hold the ball up outside the box and lay it off to Rechichi, whose powerful strike couldn’t be held by the Away keeper and was to roll out for a corner with just less than 15 mins left to play.

With 10 mins left of the game the Away side pressed up and the long ball from a goal kick made its way to Mathew Salter. The Away No10 attempted a Messi-like dink over the keeper, but the keeper read it and was able to run back and catch the ball. More great play from James Moss between the sticks. 

Despite the hectic action the game hadn’t yet taken its toll on the legs of Home No 4 Stephen Davies and the Centre Half drove down the right hand side of the pitch. A clever cut inside led to a driving run toward goal, before he hit a low and power strike across the keeper and into the bottom left hand corner. It was a brilliant goal and an even better celebration, with an acrobatic cartwheel and backward somersault. The crowd really loved that one! (5-2)

The whistle blew to end a brilliant match, which was enjoyed by both the players and the spectators. The Home team were to finish as victors; however it was still a great performance by the Away side who certainly had something to be proud of.

Full-Time: West Ham Home 5 - 2 West Ham Away

Man of the Match Home: Steven Davies
Man of the Match Away: Zachary Thomas
Moment of the Match: Stuart Stedman

Home Team: James Moss, John Davies, Stephen Davies, Ian Final, John Donlon (C), Ray Pryse, Renato Cecini, Richard Jackson, Andrew Saunders, Kevin Thorne, Giovanni Rechichi, Chris Jackson, Stuart Stedman, Dave Wheatley.

Mascot: Rhys Final

Away Team: Edward Moss, Geoff Caunt, Zachary Thomas, Ranjit Mann (C), David Anderson, Jaspal Bassan, Mike Burke, Ray Calder, Matthew Salter, Steven Foott
James Thorne, Ranjit Mann, Mike Burke, David Anderson.

Mascot: Ben Calder