Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Wolves 2012

It was a stunning evening at Molineux as Wolverhampton Wanderers welcomed Football Aid to their impressive ground. Excitement among the Wolves fans taking part in the game would have only been heightened with the involvement of club legends Matt Murray, Rob Edwards, Robbie Dennison, Tony Daley, Lee Naylor and Steve Bull and this no doubt helped the game at Molineux experience one of the best atmospheres of the Football Aid season.

Interviewed before the game, Home Captain Ryan Leister spoke about hoping he could make it 5 goals in 5 games, after some fantastic performances in previous Football Aid games, and as it turned out he certainly didn't disappoint, with his hat-trick playing a large part in his side's winning performance!

Thursday 17th May
Wolverhampton Wanderers Home vs Wolverhampton Wanderers Away
Kick Off: 18.30
Match Officials: Phil Taylor, Gary Taylor, Phil Dawes and Vic Kelly
Legends: Matt Murray, Rob Edwards, Robbie Dennison, Tony Daley, Lee Naylor and Steve Bull

The Away team got the proceedings underway, wearing Black, Gold and Black on a glorious evening, and it was a fast paced start from both teams, you couldn't separate either side with the free slowing football. The early indication was that this was going to be a very entertaining spectacle and the early highlight came after only 10 mins when Dave Taylor turned his defender, touched the ball out his feet before unleashing a long range effort, however it was easily dealt with by Away goalkeeper Anthony Johnson.

15 mins into the game and the Away team won a corner. Left footed Leister's in-swinging corner was drilled across the 6 yard box but neither Preece nor Smith, wearing the famous golden jersey, could open the scoring. The best chance of the game so far had gone a-begging.

Both teams had a clear sense of determination to really get a hold of the game, with the Home team again crafting another chance. It was defensive midfielder Shane Wilkinson bursting forward, taking his first touch past the defender Feehan and striking it with his favoured right foot. However the Away No 1 managed to parry and gather the shot.

Tony Daley started a well worked chance from left back, the Away team Legend sent Martin Brazier on his way. Driving forward and into the box the No 8 found Gary Brazier standing in acres of space and the No 6 unleashed a rocket of a shot, forcing Home goalkeeper Shaun Roberts to pull off a great save by tipping it over the bar.

Shortly after a poor back pass produced the best chance of the game so far, Dave Taylor skipped past the defence but Away Goalkeeper Johnson stood up well to his strike and pounced on the No 11's rebound. A great chance, producing an even better save, surely it wouldn't be long until one side could break the deadlock.

Baljinder Singh's deliberate handball then put his team under real pressure. The free kick was fired into the box and towering Captain Lee Waterfall won the header, looping it towards the back post. However with the goalkeeper struggling it hit the inside of the post and Paul Preece was first to react, clearing the ball away from his line.

The first goal of the game came in the 28th min from Football Aid regular Shane Wilkinson; the Home No 10 started the move with a fantastic ball over the top to Taylor, the striker held the ball up and picked out his team-mate's run to the edge of the box, after glancing at the goal Wilkinson thundered the ball into the top corner. There was no saving that, a fabulous opener! (1-0)

Wilkinson found himself pulling the strings again, in a similar position he floated another ball over the top into the path of Dave Taylor. The No 11 had plenty of work still to do, but he skipped past the closest defender and one-on-one with the goalkeeper the striker slotted the ball into the bottom left corner to double the lead. (2-0)

At the heart of the play again, Wilkinson linked up well with the deadly attacking force of Leister and Taylor. A combination of triangle passes sent Taylor through on goal; the No 11 drew the defender in and rolled the ball across to his striking partner. Ryan Leister, with all the time in the world curled the ball past the Goalkeeper and gave the Away side a well deserved 3 goal lead. That made it 5 goals in 5 Football Aid appearances for the deadly striker. (3-0)

The constant pressure from the impressive Home team continued and should have resulted in more goals. Bal Singh, Taylor and Simon Fawell all coming close with their attempts, the Away team will have been delighted at the performance of their Goalkeeper Anthony Johnson.

It was only a matter of time that under such severe pressure the Away side would fall further behind. Fantastic build up play with a string of 7 passes left the side in Black chasing shadows. Taylor's fierce shot stung the hands of the goalkeeper, the No 1 doing very well to parry the shot away from goal, but it fell to another Gold shirt and Matthew Price laid the ball to Ryan Leister, who drove the ball low and hard past all the defenders. (4-0)

The Home team were now playing the better football and took a comfortable lead into half time. Their performance enabled Manager Matt Murray to walk into the changing rooms with a big smile on his face!

Half-Time: Wolves Home 4 - 0 Wolves Away

Lee Naylor had his work cut out in the Away dressing room at half-time, although pleased with his team's overall performance it was important that they kept their shape and hopefully the goals would come. And the Away side started brightly, quickly closing the Home side down and pressing them high up the park.

However, only a minute in the Home team opened the 2nd half scoring. Legend Rob Edwards rolled the ball into Leister and the No 9 was fouled by his marking defender, but the ref allowed play to continue and Edwards' through pass met the arced run of Dave Taylor, a deceiving step over from the Striker opened up the legs of the goalkeeper and the striker rolled the ball straight through them and into the back of the net. (5-0)

In a tight and tense 30 mins after the break the slightly more clinical Home team had that bit extra up front and current pro Rob Edwards showed his true quality. Easily skipping past two opponents, he unleashed a tricky shot which was curling away from the goalkeeper, but Johnson recovered to punch the ball to safety.

Wolves legend and Football Aid regular Robbie Dennison kept the Away team pushing forward and they almost got their first goal in the 25th min. A slack pass was intercepted by Mark Stanton, who laid the ball off nicely, but Adam Pearce's shot drifted wide of the post. The shot acted as a wake up call for the Home team even though they had a comfortable lead.

Minutes later the Away team got their just rewards, a delightful one-two between No 9 Lee Waterfall and midfielder Adam Pearce sent the No 10 in behind the defence. And his magnificent toe poke under pressure slid underneath the goalkeeper and into the far corner. The 2nd half substitutions were having a real impact on the game. (5-1)

However it was the Home team who would go on to extend their lead further, Taylor's scooped ball landed behind the two centre halves and found strike partner Ryan Leister in space and with a first time volley he lobbed the goalkeeper. A wonderful finish by the Captain, you could see the pure delight in his celebrations. Hat-trick hero! (6-1)

The Away team's Adam Pearce was handed another good opportunity with 8 mins to go. Dennison, who spent 10 years with the club and is a true fan's favorite, showed his class down the left channel, and good link up play with Hopson allowed Pearce to get his shot away, however to the keeper's relief the ball whistled over the cross bar.

The Home side were denied their seventh goal when Edwards delivered a through ball into the path of Taylor. The ever dangerous No 11 smashed the ball towards the far corner but Johnson pulled off a wonder save, diving at full stretch to knock the ball away from goal.

With minutes left on the clock the Away side managed to get their second goal of the game and it came from a free kick awarded on the edge of the box. Robbie Dennison teed the ball up, curling it into the far top corner. Cool, calm, and collected from Dennison, who scored over 40 goals for the club. Even the Home side celebrated with the legend! (6-2)

That was to be the end of the scoring and the Away team will have been delighted with their 2nd half performance, but the Home team went away deserved winners in what was a thoroughly enjoyable evening at Molineux.

Full-Time: Wolves Home 6 - 2 Wolves Away

Man of the Match Home: Paul Preece
Man of the Match Away: Anthony Johnson
Moment of the Match: Shane Wilkinson

Home Team: Shaun Roberts, Neal Smith, Rob Edwards, Paul Preece, Matthew Barker, Matthew Price, Simon Fawell, Baljinder Singh, Ryan Leister (C), Shane Wilkinson, Dave Taylor, Robert Young, Steven Lawlor, Mark Everiss, Martin Brazier
Manager: Matt Murray
Mascot: Lucy Wilkinson

Away Team: Anthony Johnson, Daniel Pearson, Tony Daley, Robbie Dennison, Roger Dale, Mark Feehan, Gary Brazier, Mark Stanton, Martin Brazier, Lee Waterfall (C), Adam Pearce, Wesley Hopson, Matthew Price, Mark Whitehouse, Matthew Fellows, Craig Bannister
Manager: Lee Naylor
Mascot: Jake Brazier