Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

West Ham Game 2 2011

The sun was shining brightly in London when the excited Hammers fans arrived in good spirits for the 2nd Football Aid game of the day at the highly impressive Boleyn Ground. The players were thrilled to have the chance to pull on their personalised kits and march out of the tunnel to grace the same hallowed turf that first team stars like Parker, Upson and Green had been playing on all season. The players were looking to ease the pain of relegation by earning a victory in the afternoon.

Tuesday the 7th of June 2011
West Ham United Home vs West Ham United Away
Game 2
Kick Off: 2:30pm
Match Officials: Mark Mellor, Charlie Wilkinson, Geoff Garnham and Kevin Carpenter

It was the Home team playing in the famous claret & blue that got the action underway at the Boleyn ground on Tuesday afternoon. It took both sides some time to settle into the game, with nobody able to put their foot on the ball and control the possession for their team.

It wasn't until ten minutes into the game that a chance was created, and Maurizio Boi made no mistake from his opportunity. Gary Thomas cut out a pass and sent a through ball that split the Home defence, Boi doing very well to break the offside trap. Boi was able to skilfully take the ball round the onrushing Darren Thorne and walk the ball into the net (0-1)

The Home side were next to threaten with a powerful drive from 30 yards that went wide of the post. Cédric Boi picked up the ball from distance before striking a powerful shot that rattled the advertising boards behind Van Horn's goal.

On the 18th min the Away team made it 2-0. Some neat passing between Neville, Anderson and Boi created some space in midfield, before Anderson slipped a lovely through ball for the pacey Kevin Thorne to run onto. Thorne only needed one touch before firing past his namesake to stretch the lead for his team (0-2)

Despite the scoreline, the Home side were right in the game and being especially competitive in midfield. They carved out an opportunity five mins later, when good pressure resulted in Ray Calder picking up a defensive header and unleashed a shot from 18 yards. However Van Horn did well to get hold of the powerful shot at the second attempt. The Home team were defending well too, Cédric Boi putting in a hard but fair tackle on Mark Neville to deny him a great scoring opportunity.

The Away side's pace was causing all kinds of problems. Gary Jones showed a turn of pace to cut inside and put a shot narrowly over the bar. On the 28th min, the men in white were more clinical. Centre midfielder David Anderson did brilliantly to win the ball in midfield, before launching a superb through ball to Captain Kevin Thorne. Thorne went for power and blasted the ball into the back of the net for his second goal of the game. (0-3)

Darren Thorne was getting his work cut out for him in the Home goal, and he made a superb save from Gary Jones minutes after conceding, denying the right back from close range. The keeper did superbly again moments later, getting down well to block a Mark Neville shot after the winger wriggled free of a couple of challenges.

The Home defence had tightened up, limiting the white & blues to shots from distance, and on 44 mins they had a glorious chance of their own. Billy Shepherd ran with the ball across goal before whipping in a deadly cross from the right. Marcus Webb slid in but couldn't quite reach it and Peter Bolden, steaming into the back post was unable to hit the target from a tight angle.

Half-Time: West Ham Home 0 - 3 West Ham Away

The Home side came out and were immediately threatening in the second half, looking to get back into the game. Joel Sibley tried to take advantage of a stramash in the box with a cheeky lob outside the area, but his effort fell over the bar. Van Horn then saved well from a David Harper shot. Harper looked lively, and he had a great chance moments later. After bursting down the left, he cut inside before hammering a shot at Van Horn, but the goalkeeper was again equal to his effort.

The men in claret and blue were rewarded for their great start to the match. Gary Jones (who had switched sides at half time) did some great work on the left before flighting in a beautiful inswinging cross. Billy Shepherd cleverly ‘dummied' the cross, bamboozling Van Horn, and the ball found its way into the net. (1-3)

Jones was having a blinder in the second half, and he immediately won the ball from the Away centre, before bursting into the box. Gary Thomas' challenge was deemed to have been a foul by the linesman, and a penalty was awarded! Joel Sibley was the man who stepped up to take it. The penalty was firmly taken to the right, but goalkeeper Van Horn made a superb save, pushing the ball away for a corner. The Away side were rightly delighted with the man between the sticks.

Van Horn again denied the Home side from the resulting corner. That man Gary Jones again hitting a powerful shot that would have stung the goalkeeper's hands. The American was having a stormer! Darren Thorne was showing his ability in the Home goal as well, sweeping up the numerous through balls from the Away midfield who were looking to take advantage of the pace of Thorne and Boi up front.

However, Thorne was beaten again in the 70th min by some magical football from the Away side. Maurizio Boi had been a real livewire all game and his run down the left created space for him to put in a deadly low cross into the path of Mark Neville, who did well to stretch and poke the ball past the onrushing Thorne. A great team goal. (1-4)

It was Maurizio Boi himself who got the next goal for his side and what a goal it was. Some great work from Patrick Ogan made it happen. The central midfielder beat a man and played a superb ball to Boi down the right. Boi looked up and his floated shot sailed over Thorne into the corner of the net for his second. Debate will rage on whether Boi intended his wonder goal or if he meant to find Tom Cope in the middle. This reporter will never know! (1-5)

Boi was at the heart of things again when his side missed a great chance to make it 6. The man from Switzerland gifted a chance to Cope and the big midfielder's effort was cleared brilliantly off the line by Brett Wheeler. The rebound fell to Neville but the winger blasted over the bar.

They would need to wait until the 85th min to get the next goal, and there was an element of fortune about it. You make your own luck however, and Neville's superb long range effort bounced of the post right into the path of Kevin Thorne who slotted the ball into the open goal for his hat-trick. An outstanding contribution from the captain! (1-6)

In the dying moments of the game there was extreme drama. Gary Jones won his second penalty of the game after another somewhat dubious challenge from Thomas! David Shepherd's penalty crashed off the bar, but referee Mr Mellor felt that he had spotted encroachment, so awarded the retake! Shepherd's second effort was saved by Van Horn, but again Mellor had spotted an infringement and demanded another retake! It was goalkeeper Darren Thorne this time who had the chance, but again Van Horn was equal to it. An extraordinary display of goalkeeping!

Immediately afterwards the referee blew for full-time on what had been a thoroughly entertaining encounter for the hugely supportive fans who had helped create a tremendous atmosphere throughout.

Full-Time: West Ham Home 1 - 6 West Ham Away

Man of the Match Home: Brett Wheeler
Man of the Match Away: Maurizio Boi
Moment of the Match: Tim Van Horn

Home Team: Thorne, Wheeler, Boi, Heath, Beale, Sibley, Bolden, Harper, Calder, Webb, G.Jones, P.Jones, D.Shepherd, B.Shepherd

Mascot: Ben Calder

Away Team: Van Horn, G.Jones, McLardy, Phillips, Cope, Thomas, Neville, Boi, Anderson, Thorne, Bailey, Olsanski, Hinken

Mascot: Ellis Thorne