Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Everton Game 2 2011

There was an excited buzz around the famous old Goodison Park stadium as two sets of proud Evertonians marched out onto the hallowed turf such as that first team stars like Tim Cahill, Leighton Baines, Philip Neville, and Mikel Arteta had done only two days before, again beating Chelsea 1-0. Jermaine Beckford’s unbelievable run and goal meant Everton have won their last game of the season every year since 2005. The players were only just coming to terms with the exciting news that former Everton winger, Football Aid Ambassador Pat Nevin and Matt Jackson that won the FA Cup with the club in 1995 as the pair certainly rolled back the years and turned on the style in the 90 minutes that followed. Z-Cars, along with the wild cheering and applause from their fans created a rousing reception and one that would have helped to dispel any last minute nerves.

Tuesday 24th May
Everton Home v Everton Away
Match: Game 2
Kick Off: 14:30am
Legends: Pat Nevin and Matt Jackson
Match Officials: Alan Butler, Matthew Butler, Luke O’Hara and James Leyshon

The Home team in blue took kick off and Ciarán Barker instantly had the first shot at goal from. Both teams looked raring to go after the moment of madness and were fighting hard for the ball, keen to get control of the game. The Home side established a lead within the first minute. Dean Thorpe, after several misplayed passes from both sides, had a blocked shot that fell nicely to striker Ben Ward with a calm side footed finish into the corner. A bad start for the men in Pink! (1-0)

The Away side found the composure they initially looked for as they stroked the ball around nicely. Young American Mike O’Reilly, also celebrating his birthday, showed real pace to get past left back Worthington. The No.7’s unorthodox right footed cross dipped over Bob Thorpe’s head and onto the diving header of John Cotton. (1-1)

The quick start to the game showed there were going to be goals and with less than 5 minutes gone the Blues had another. A Pink throw was miscontrolled by the defence and Ciarán Barker took advantage, driving towards the box with the ball. With his head up he noticed the Away goalie Graeme Goodwill was at a poor angle and was able to fire the ball round the no.12. The celebration from the goal was certainly memorable as Barker proceeded to shadow box with the corner flag, Tim Cahill style. (2-1)

The Away side was playing the attractive football and the Blues couldn’t get the ball from them. But in some cases they might have tried too hard to get the ball, and a challenge from behind from Kelly was given as a free kick just outside the box. The ball was placed by Barker, Dean Thorpe and left back Chris Worthington were also contenders to hit this dangerous set piece. Dean Thorpe ran around the back leaving it for the no.2 and Worthington struck a stunning free kick over the wall, hitting the underside of the cross bar and into the net. Leighton Baines would have been proud of that one! (3-1)

Despite the pink’s hard work and determination to try pull one back created a few half chances from distance, but it was the Blues who extended their lead further. Dean Thorpe battled in the midfield to win the ball playing a first-class through ball onto the run of Ciarán Barker. It was a similar finish to his first as he slotted the ball past the keeper into the bottom right hand side. (4-1)

David Cockram received a long ball on the left hand channel and met a challenge from Pat Nevin. Cockram’s left footed touch and a change of pace went past the Scotsman drilling the ball across goal but Bob Thorpe was there to save the day and clear the ball off the line.

Mike O’Reilly made the run of the game, picking up the ball from his own box and driving over halfway. Two Blues went to dispossess the no.7 but great trickery and a step over sent them the wrong way. His shot looked like it was heading for the far top corner but Mike Ingham did well to tip it over the bar. The goalkeeper was having a solid game so far. The corner got headed back out to the corner taker Cockram, who fired the ball low and hard but Stein Sherlock couldn’t stretch far enough to knock it in.

David Cockram third time lucky got his desired goal from a Sherlock cross to the far post. A superb first touch set up a delightful half volley into the far corner. No keeper could have stopped that! (4-2)

The Home side responded. Worthington delivered a cross from the left into the path of Barker but Robert Grace nicked in front of the striker to clear the ball. Unfortunately his clearance bounced off his foot hitting his elbow with the ball changing direction. Penalty! A bit harsh as there was nothing Grace could have done. Ciarán Barker slotted the ball past Goodwill for his hat-trick. The Pinks felt hard done by there! (5-2)


Half-Time: Everton Home 5 - 2 Everton Away


After inspirational half time team from the two Everton legends Pat Nevin and Matt Jackson the teams came out fired up for the second half. Substitutions were made by both legends and Pat Nevin subbed himself off graciously to manage from the side giving his opponent Jackson some constructive criticism. Mike Ingham received physiotherapy for the full 15 minutes after dislocating his middle finger during the first half. Mike was recommended not to carry on but the soldier inside pushed him onwards and upwards not to let his side down.

As the Away side got the second half underway it must have been something Matt Jackson had said. Looking like a new team they pilled on the pressure playing in some excellent chances and should have scored another. 

The Pink’s had a chance when Cotton was played through on goal, Bob Thorpe came in from the side stubbing the ball out for a corner. The ref blew his whistle giving a penalty. The Blue no.5 was furious and so he should have been. Video evidence clearly shows he got the full ball. David Cockram calmly slotted the penalty into the goalkeeper’s right hand corner with Ingham guessing the correct way. (5-3)

The Away side’s come back was on when Mike O’Reilly linked up nicely with father Dave O’Reilly. Dave’s through ball over the top saw his son coolly tuck the ball into the corner. (5-4)

With 25 minutes to go, the Away side seemed to regain some of their earlier vigour. It looked like the Home team was chasing shadows and it paid off with the Pinks levelling the game at 5 all. John Cotton scored his second of the game; He was fed through for a left footed toe poke past the goalie. Ingham was so close to keeping it out his net. (5-5)

This sparked some great play from the Blues after the Away side conceded a free kick on the edge of their area. Michael Gardener picked the ball up from a poor pass, played a quick pass into Green and onto Ben Ward. The no.11 took the ball round the rushing goalkeeper and passed the ball towards the line. Ciarán Barker nicked the ball already crossing the line to bag another! (6-5)

The Pinks had been in this situation before and did not seem phased by the goal and kept plugging away. Mike O’Reilly had a low driven show curling towards the bottom corner but the finger of Ingham tipped it round the post. Green was delighted to see his goalkeeper keep their team one up.

With the second half drawing to a close the Pinks couldn’t believe it when goalkeeper Goodwill let a shot fly past him that he thought was heading wide. To Ben Ward’s delight the ball sneaked in at the far corner. (7-5)

All hopes weren’t lost when Cotton held up the ball nicely, linking up well with his midfield. David Cockram ran behind the defence and calmly slotted the ball past the goalkeeper. The hat trick hero pulled it back to 1 down! (7-6)

This could have been an interesting last 5 minutes but unfortunately moments after Ciarán Barker received a long ball in the left channel. The defender slipped leaving him through on goal. Barker spotted Goodwill off his line and performed a delightful lob to finish the game off. Barker went off Cahill style to the corner flag again throwing the famous punches. That was his 5th goal of the game! (8-6)

With 2 minutes to go Ben Ward grabbed his deserved hat trick with a low shot through the goalkeepers’ hands and into the net. (9-6)

The Pinks from the restart bombed forward leaving the defence open and Ben Ward through on goal. Nothing Goodwill could have done as the young man glided past him. (10-6)

Full time came soon after, with the Home team running out deserved winners. Giving credit when credit is due, the Away side didn’t once give up battling all the way to the end. The game had been an excellent contest played in a great spirit by both teams and they both thoroughly deserved the prolonged applause they received from the friends and family in the stands as they walked off the hallowed Goodison turf.

Full-Time: Everton Home 10 - 6 Everton Away

Man of the Match (Home): Dean Thorpe
Man of the Match (Away):
David Cockram
Moment of the Match:
Chris Worthington

Home Team: Ingham, Worthington, Pat Nevin, McMahon, Robert Thorpe, Green, Jakobsen, Cullinane, Barker, Dean Thorpe, Ward, Wood, Carrott, Gardener.

Manager: Pat Nevin

Mascots: Ellis Cockram

Away Team: Goodwill, Grace, Sherlock, Grace, Dermott, Mike O’Reilly, Cockram, Howarth, Dave O’Reilly, Cotton, Newnes, Kelly.

Manager: Matt Jackson

Mascots: Jack Kelly & Joe Kelly