Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Rangers Game 1 2011

The sun was shining brightly in Glasgow when the excited Gers fans arrived for Football Aid’s game at the impressive Ibrox stadium. The players were thrilled to have the chance to pull on their personalised kits and march out of the tunnel to grace the same hallowed turf that first team stars like Steven Whittaker, Steven Davis and Davie Weir had done the night before against Dundee United. It was a perfect day for such a great occasion.

Wednesday 11th May 2011
Rangers Home vs. Rangers Away
Ibrox Stadium, Glasgow
Kick Off: 15:00pm
Game 1
Legend: Alec Cleland
Match Officials: Stephen Graham, Chris Gentles, Tony Ventri and Gary Docherty

The Away team, wearing white and red stripes, got the game underway. It was an evenly contested first 5 minutes which sparked great interest from both sets of fans. It was the away team who broke the deadlock first. Richard Caplan created some space in the middle of the park, taking a good first touch out of his feet and threading a sublime through ball, splitting the Rangers home defence of Buglass and Ramage, to his captain Richard Strachan who unleashed a first time shot across goal past goalkeeper Greig. (1-0)

The Away team bounced straight back into the match with some attractive and free flowing football, certainly showing will to get back into the match. Caplan and Cleland formed an early partnership down the left that could trouble the Home team.

Alec Cleland gave away a header on the right hand side which put his team under some pressure. This led to Rutherford sliding a pass inside to Stuart Blackwood’s path who hit a debateable shot/cross coming off the far side post. Ramsey slid in but couldn’t stretch far enough to knock it in the net.

Buglass was a standout in the Home back four, leading by example and providing great communication to all his players and was a creative playmaker, starting most of the Home team’s play from the back.

The Rangers Home team created a few half chances from balls over the top but the Away no.1 Allan was alert to the danger, coming dashing out from his line to protect his teams 1-0 lead.

On 25 minutes a well worked throw-in from the left hand side ended up with a pass being played into Blackwood’s feet. The centre forward turned his marker the wrong way. Allan made himself big but the Home no.9 squared a simple ball to his fellow striking partner Alan Ramsey who tapped the ball over the line to level the contest. (1-1)

11 minutes later, a professional foul was committed by the Away team on halfway. Centre midfielder Ryan Wadmore’s quick thinking spotted an intelligent run, and put a quick free kick over the defensive line into the path of Blackwood, who was pulled back by defender Alan Wilson. The referee pointed to the spot, Blackwood confidently placed the ball on the penalty spot. Goalkeeper Alan predicted the right way and made a good basket save down to his right hand side to keep the game at 1-1.

Richard Caplan throughout the whole half constantly created plenty of space for himself in the centre of midfield, producing a superb chance on 36 minutes for the Away team to regain their lead. The Away no.8 played a through ball to Jamie Florence who took an excellent first touch past the defence and let loose a shot past the goalkeeper that ended fractions wide of the post.

The Away team kept pilling on the pressure through Cleland and Caplan. A high ball was delivered into the box that fell beautifully to the Away no.7 Stewart Henderson, all he needed to do was slot it home but a superb goal mouth clearance by Ian Lawrie saved the home side.

Minutes before half time a wasted free kick from the Home team ended up straight into the goalkeeper’s arms. Allan created a fantastic breakaway, rolling the ball to James Russell who drove forward from right back. He played an unbelievable through ball to Strachan on the right hand side, who played a first time ball across the box. A composed first time dink over the goalie to the far side from Jamie Florence was enough to take the lead before half-time. (1-2)

Half-Time: Rangers Home 1 – 2 Rangers Away

Substitutions were made by both sides hoping to come on and make an instant impact. You could see the passion from Rangers centre half home no. 5 David Ramage coming out fired up from the half time team talk, immediately pushing forward with the ball trying to get his side a equaliser.

Wayne Greig passed the ball to Ian Lawrie at left back. Lawrie dribbled the ball forward unopposed and flighted a delightful ball over the top to Blackwood. He controlled the ball on his chest and lobbed the away goalkeeper to level the game but hit the outside of the post. The centre forward couldn’t believe it!

The half-time sub for the Away team Stuart MacDonald certainly had good vision to pick a few deadly passes behind the opposing defence but unfortunately they couldn’t be capitalised upon.

The Rangers home team had the best opportunity of the match to level things with Blackwood again making another clever run leaving him one on one with the goalkeeper but Allan rushed out to make a brilliant save to keep his team in front.

Stuart MacDonald again created another opportunity to put the game out of reach. The ball was squared across to Frankie McGovern in open space, the no.17 stroked the ball past the keeper but onto the post.

The Away side’s Mark Kerr out of nowhere, unleashed a rocket from 35 yards. The goalkeeper did well to parry the ball to the side but unfortunately it fell straight to Strachan’s feet, Greig reacted quickly, up to his feet making a great double save!

Robert Kennedy surely sealed the match for the Away side on the 85th minute after a drilled pass between both central defenders from Mark Kerr to the no.14, who took the ball round the goalkeeper and slotted it home. (1-3)

From kick off the Home side bombed forward to get back into the game and they did with an instant reply. Playmaker Stuart Blackwood who had cause the Away defence problems all day finished in a composed move by Andrew and Craig Rodger inside the opponents box. (2-3)

Rangers pushed for an equalising goal but unfortunately the Full Time whistle sounded.

Full-Time: Rangers Home 2 - 3 Rangers Away

Man of the Match Home: Dave Buglass
Man of the Match Away: Stewart Henderson
Moment of the Match: Ian Allan

Home Team: Greig, Daschofsky, Buglass, Ramage, Maclennan, Rutherford, Ferguson, Blackwood, Wadmore, Ramsay, Lawrie, Rodger, MacRae, Rodger.

Mascot: Jodie Rutherford

Away Team: Allan, Torlay, Cleland, Wilson, Oram, Russell, Henderson, Caplan, Strachan, Florence, Hanna, Kennedy, Kerr, MacDonald, McGovern.

Mascot: Kian Wheatley