Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Nottingham Forest 2011

The Forest fans arrived at the city ground looking forward to a good game, after seeing the first team play out a scoreless draw in the playoff semi final the night before. There was obviously a hunger to see some goals in both teams, judging by the scoreline of this competitive encounter!

Friday 13th May 2011
Nottingham Forest Home vs. Nottingham Forest Away
Kick-Off: 12:00pm
Match Officials: Tom Bramall, Matt Tyres, Paul Cooper and Paul Matthewson.

The Home team in Red got the match underway and from the kick-off both teams enthusiastically battled it out with both determined to take control of the game. It seemed very evenly matched in the middle of the park however Darren Haertel with sparkling yellow boots nearly opened the scoring.

2 minutes in and it was the Home team that opened the scoring when a free kick was given away needlessly in the middle. Captain Jason Guy capitalised on the slow turning Away defence by floating the ball over the defence to Darren Rodgers. The no. 8 with a first time volley to drill the ball past helpless goalkeeper Dean Lale. (1-0)

The game was really picking up pace now, the Away team doing all they could do get an equaliser. Fantastic start to the match and you could see the spectators at the edge of their seats already. End to end game but nothing too troubling for both goalies from long range efforts.

Jason Guy who started promisingly looked like a real threat, on the counter attack Guy picked the ball up on half way. David Melling made an outstanding under lapping run to the corner; the no.6 got his head up and looked for runners into the box. The unexpected delivery into the box floated over goalkeeper Dean Lale’s head and into the far left hand corner of the net. 11 minutes into the game and Nottingham Forest Away had it all to do. (2-0)

The Away team despite being two nil down, instantly piled on the pressure showing real passion to get back into the game. The ball got played out to Away Craig Vickors on the left who played a dangerous in swinging ball across the face of the goal. Helliwell cleared the threat from his goalkeeper Andrew Harrison.

Harrison started the play from the back, Andrew Pasiak kept wide on the right hand touchline and fired the ball into Guy’s feet. Another quick lay off once again for Melling’s great run down the right. The No.6’s low cross met the stretching leg of Dean Asher towards goal. Lale made a finger tip save tipping the ball onto the post and stretching over the line. To Lale’s amazement the linesman had given the goal. Controversial moments on whether or not the whole ball crossed the line! It could be a talking point at The City Ground for years to come! (3-0)

It didn’t look promising for the Away team but you could see the fire in their bellies to pull one back. From kick off a through ball split the Home defence into the path of Craig Vickors’ run. Right back Laurence Tremayne came across making a vital last man tackle to stop the Away no. 8 from pulling the trigger. The Home team was dispossessed again and Craig Vickors made the same run again, one on one with the goalie but his shot was cleared by Harrison’s feet. Great opportunity to pull one back!

The Away team was piling on the pressure and deservedly broke the deadlock on 24 minutes. A poorly constructed Home corner sparked a counter attack with the ball dropping to Reid outside his own penalty area. The no.9 drove forward with the ball beating the last defender down the left hand side. Squaring the ball across goal caused a scramble for the chasing Home side and Jonny Heald’s diving header span into the back of the net. The celebration that followed was superb. Started with a classic Shearer running away with one arm raised then jumping over the advertising barriers and into his season ticket seat punching both hands in the air. A yellow card was issued for inciting the crowd. (3-1)

Nottingham’s Away team intercepted a poor pass from the restart, opening up another chance for them to capitalize on. Craig Vickors played a pinpoint pass over the top of the defense onto the arched run of Reid who only had the goalie to beat. Harrison made himself and narrowed the angle clearing Reid’s shot with his left foot.

A defensive error pulled another one back for the Away side when right back Tremayne tripped over the ball. Craig Vickors picked up the ball and with the outside of his boot delivered a low cross across the penalty spot beating the last defender. It fell nicely for Mark Reid to burst the net and give more hope for the Away side. (3-2)

Heason for the Away team dribbled the ball forward from right back and played a simple pass into Steven Diggory’s feet. A quick turn beat his marker followed by a lofted ball over the top of the defensive line onto David Vickors’ well timed run. The father of Craig Vickors was just about to unleash his shot when Melling clipped his heels from behind on the edge of the box. The Away team were looking for a penalty but a free kick was given on the edge. David Vickors tried his luck from the dead ball situation but put it over the bar.

On the stroke of half an hour deservedly the Away team pulled level. Lale’s route one kick bounced behind the troubled Red defense and Diggory was through on goal. His left foot shot was well saved but fell kindly to Jonny Heald to slot it in. What a comeback! (3-3)

The ball bounced on the halfway line and was picked up by solid centre half Colin Griffiths who passed to Diggory. A stretched first time through ball to Mark Reid left him one on one with only the goalie to beat. Reid’s touch took him round the goalkeeper but was deliberately wiped out. Penalty! Yellow card for the goalkeeper but the fans behind the goal were chanting for red. Reid placed the ball down and walked slowly to the edge and waited for the referees whistle. Reid took the spot kick and Harrison made a wonder save tipping the ball round the post.

The Away team’s chance for a dream comeback look destined until Jamie Marriot beat Mike Butler in the penalty box and unleashed a stunning strike that beat Lale at his near post. (4-3)

Darren Haertel took a quick corner from Guy and strike was tipped over the bar. Close chance.

It was end to end action with the ball falling to Jamie Marriot, his through ball to Jason Guy’s run ended with the big man pulling a calf muscle. End of the game for Guy who was having a stormer.

Unbelievable first half, filled with plenty action and full of goals. Great game for the neutral!


Half-Time: Nottingham Forest Home 4 - 3 Nottingham Forest Away


After an inspired half time team talk from two footballing legends Eion Jess and Steve Sutton the teams came out raring for the second half. Substitutions were made by both sides and they were eager to make an impact to win the game.

The Away team got the second half underway but were immediately dispossessed by their opponents. Darren Rodgers’ vision picked out a through ball into the box where Darren Haertel went down after a slight clip from Griffiths. Another penalty was awarded and Haertel kindly gave the ball to Andrew Pasiak. No messing about with his penalty, he fired the ball into the back of the net. (5-3)

The Away team being in this position didn’t let this affect them and still looked full of confidence. 6 minutes later they were still going forward and it paid off. Harrison gave the ball straight to Craig Vickors but redeemed himself by pulling off another great save. 30 seconds later Captain Lee Pearson laid the ball to Mark Reid who smashed it into the top corner. (5-4)

Haertel was at the end of sublime build up play from the Reds but pulled the ball past the post. The goal kick was then played up the channel and picked up by Diggory. His trickery ended up with his shot rocketing off the bar leaving it shaking. The rebound fell to Jonny Heald who reacted well to nod the ball through Harrison’s hands. (5-5)

65 minutes on the clock and the Home team did it again. The ball was rolled back to Marriot from the restart and picking out a run from Darren Rodgers. The no.8 calmly slotted the ball past Lale. (6-5)

Some one touch passing from the Away team saw David Vickors slot a through ball to Buckland on the right. Buckland pulled the ball back to Steven Diggory in space who drilled it past the Home goalkeeper. 6 all; could they go on to win it? (6-6)

The Away team were desperate to take the lead for the first time in the match and amazingly they did! Straight from kick off, Diggory again pressurised the Home side and won the ball back. A nicely weighted pass set up Ashley Buckland for a stunning left foot strike in the bottom corner. Unbelievable! (6-7)

There was only 15 minutes to go and it all started. Players were dropping like flies with cramp, Lale being the first victim.

Tremayne who had a solid game at the back dribbled the ball forward skipping past several Away players before laying the ball off to Jonathan Mussen. The half time sub unleashed the fury from 40 yards onto the underside of the bar onto the back of the goalie and into the net. Could this be goal of the season? No because the flag was raised.

On the 85th minute Jamie Marriot placed a free kick round the right hand side of the wall into the bottom corner beating Lale, who went down with cramp. (7-7) that’s how it finished!

A stunning game, with a fair result for both sides


Full-Time: Nottingham Forest Home 7 - 7 Nottingham Forest Away


Man of the Match Home: Darren Haertel

Man of the Match Away: Jonny Heald

Moment of the Match: Andrew Harrison


Home Team: Harrison, Tremayne, Heald, Helliwell, Melling, Wilkinson, Rodgers, Asher, Haertel, Guy, Marriot, Pasiak, Mussen, Ginty.

Mascot: Jessica & James Melling


Away Team: Lale, Heason, Griffiths, Butler, David Vickors, David Buckland, Craig Vickors, Reid, Diggory, Heald, Ashley Buckland, Butler, Towle, Pearson.

Mascot: Bobby & Kelci Vickors