Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Wolves 2011

The Football Aid bandwagon rolled into Wolverhampton on a warm sunny evening in May for what was set to be an epic encounter between two very good sides. The pitch was in perfect condition for Football Aid’s last game at the stadium before phase one of the redevelopment of Molineux got underway.

Wednesday 11th May
Wolverhampton Wanderers Home vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers Away
Kick Off: 18.30
Match Officials: Phil Taylor, Gary Taylor, Phil Dawes, Vic Kelly
Legends: Steve Bull, Tony Daley, Robbie Dennison, Matt Murray, Jamie Smith


The Home side got proceedings underway kicking from right to left. The Away team in their all black kits were presented with the first opportunity of the game. Fawell showed terrific vision picking out Taylor who had made a great run, beating the offside trap in the process. Taylor cut the ball back for Leister who fired a shot which was blocked by the defence, the loose ball falling to Chand who could only manage to blast the ball wide from ten yards.

Shortly after a lose pass from legend Daley was seized up by Johnson who struck the ball from all of 35 yards. The ball looking to be flying into the top corner only to be stopped by a magnificent fingertip save by Passmore. If the currently quality on show was to continue the fans at Molineux were to be in for a real treat.

The Away team had the better of the opening exchanges, seeing far more of the ball and creating the better chances. They were also beginning to look a little complacent as poor passing lead to the first chance for the Home team. Patel capitalised on a mistake and found himself through on goal, unfortunately for the Home team he failed to test the keeper. This was to serve as a reminder that the Home team were not there just to make up the numbers.

The Home side had now begun to assert themselves on the game but their hard work was almost undone by some casual play in the middle of the park. Chand won the ball and drove forward feeding Taylor who had made a great run. Taylor drove the ball straight at Passmore who could only parry the ball back to Taylor, whose second effort was cleared off the line in determined fashion by Hayes.

It was Dave Taylor who would open the scoring after the half hour mark. He was proving to be a real problem for the Home side using his pace and sense of positioning to get in behind the defence. Taylor timed his run to perfection after a quick one two with Passmore, beating the offside trap and slotting the ball past the keeper with ease. (0-1)

The remainder of the half was unremarkable with both sides struggling to create any chances of note until, in the closing stages the Away side came close to doubling their lead. Former player Jamie Smith gathered the ball at the edge of the box and used his quick pace to turn his man. Smith thought he had managed to go round the keeper but was foiled by Passmore’s out stretched leg – great recovery from the Home keeper.

The Away side would come close again before the half ended after good work from Taylor down the right but he wasn’t able to pick out his man with the cut back.


Half-Time: Wolves Home 0 – 1 Wolves Away


The second half got underway with the sun shining brightly on Molineux. The match continued in much the same fashion as the first half. The Away team having more of the ball but still failing to create any clear cut chances. The Home side were defending well but were often guilty of giving the ball away cheaply.

Dave Taylor was on the score sheet again as he managed to double his side’s advantage. Leister dropped a glorious pass over the top, splitting the centre backs. Taylor control the ball before slotting it past Passmore from 12 yards. (0-2)

The second goal seemed to be the catalyst for the Home side to spring into action. This time opting for the direct route, Abrahams launched a long ball for Goodwin, the centre forward controlled with the chest then out of nowhere fired an overhead kick at goal with the spectacular effort going narrowly over the bar.

The Home team were almost back in the game a few minutes later after a defensive slip put Gilham through on goal. Unfortunately for the Home side Gilham found Peters too good as he raced from his line to smother the ball before Gilham could get his shot away.

That was the last chance the Home side would get for quite some time as the Away side completely began to dominate. Working short corners to good effect they passed up several good goal scoring opportunities in the hunt for more goals. The Home side server up a reminder that they were still a threat when Stanton played a neat ball over the top to Goodwin who fired the ball towards the bottom corner but Peters in goal forced the ball wide.

It was the Away team who would go on to extend their lead further when Bird played a beautifully executed through ball which found the feet of Ryan Leister who controlled well before calmly dispatching the pass into Passmore’s bottom left hand corner. A great finish rounding off a very well worked move for the Away team. (0-3)

Gilham was handed another good opportunity midway through the half. Dennison showed his class down the left flank beating a man then floating in an inviting cross for the unmarked Gilham. The ball took an awkward bounce and moved just out of reach as Gilham lay waiting to smash the ball into the net.

Wilkinson who had been impressive through the match playing the role of the box to box midfielder was extremely unlucky not to add his sides fourth of the game. The Home side stood off Smith and allowed him time to play a delightful chip in for the big midfielder who had ghosted in to the box. The big man was unlucky to see his header crash back off the bar.

The Away side were again denied their fourth goal when Johnson delivered a stunning ball over the top for Taylor to chase. Taylor managed to turn and tee up Waterfall who smashed the ball into the bottom corner from 8 yards but Passmore was again on top form as he dived at full stretch to get a great hand to the ball and knock it round the post for a corner.

Waterfall’s effort was the last real chance of the game. The Away side will be delighted with the result and the performance and the unlucky Home team were left wondering what could have been in what was a thoroughly enjoyable evening at Molineux stadium.


Full-Time: Wolves Home 0 – 3 Wolves Away


Man of the Match Home: Lee Passmore

Man of the Match Away: Shane Wilkinson

Moment of the Match: Dave Taylor


Home Team: Passmore, Reiss, Daley, Dennison, Hayes, Abrahams, Wilkinson, Stanton, Patel, C. Thompson, B. Thompson, Goodwin, M. Thompson, M. Barker, D. Barker, Gilham

Mascot: Jessica Stanton


Away Team: Peters, Fawell, Smith, Passmore, Chand, Langford, Skelding, Taylor, Wilkinson, Leister, Bird, Waterfall, Bolger, Everiss

Mascot: Ethan Wilkinson