Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Blackburn Rovers 2010

A good end to the Premier League season for the Rovers saw them finish a respectable 10th and despite the unseasonably cold weather the atmosphere was still electric when 28 buzzing Blackburn fans arrived at Ewood Park. A slight change to their usual Tuesday night, as tonight these men were going to be pulling on the famous red, white and blue and running out onto the hallowed turf to give it their all in front of a crowd made up from their no doubt envious friends and family.

Monday 10th May 2010
Blackburn Rovers Home vs. Blackburn Rovers Away
Kick-Off: 7:00pm
Legends: Kevin Gallacher and Chris Sulley
Match Officials: Steve Grindley, Daniel Cooney, James Cooney and Steve Cundall 

It was the Away team to start the match, clad in white and red and looking eager to get off to a flying start. Unfortunately for the ten outfield players it was Daniel Stuttard, the goalkeeper, who got of a flyer though pulling off two fantastic saves from close range. The first came when Jason Guy latched on to a loose ball and shot from close range and the second was the rebound from Steven Smedley which Stuttard touched behind for a corner.

The Away team's first chance was certainly one which they perhaps should have put away. A long ball over the top from Captain Martin Legdon saw the young striker Justin Vaughan show his pace to outrun the Home backline and find himself one-on-one with the keeper. Vaughan's effort was rushed however and after hitting first time he watched it sail wide of the post.

Only a minute later Justin Vaughan made no mistake. Again a ball over the top, this time from Oliver Clark was met by the head of Antony Emmott, whose nod on allowed Vaughan to execute a fine burst of pace to close in on goal. With one defender on his trail and another closing in from the right the young forward struck perfectly from the edge of the box. The ball couldn't have been struck sweeter and left keeper Chris Dean with no chance, striking off the post and rippling the net (0-1).

This Away team certainly looked dangerous and not before long increased their lead to two. A low through ball from Simon Phillips was picked up by Antony Emmett who continued the play by striding towards goal, as Dean came out to gather Emmett kept his composure and cheekily nipped the ball to the keeper's right to double his team's lead (0-2).

The Home team kept up the fight and a beautiful strike from Martin McMullan got them back into the game. Smedley touched the ball forward to Ben Leslie who laid the ball off to McMullan who let fly from over 20 yards out. From the moment the ball left the midfielders foot it was goal-bound, rising slightly and reaching the top right corner of the net (1-2).

On form striker Justin Vaughan then bagged his second of the game to increase the lead to two for the second time in the game. Kevin Edwards played the ball forward to Emmett who squared the ball across goal to Vaughan, the striker then took a touch to readjust himself before placing the ball to the keeper's right and taking the plaudits from his team (1-3).

Half-Time: Blackburn Rovers Home 1 - 3 Blackburn Rovers Away

The Home team got the second-half underway but despite both teams hunger for goals the first 15 mins were played out mainly within the middle third of the pitch. It was the Home team that opened the second half scoring with another wonder-goal, this time by the No 9 Jason Guy. The ball was played to Guy from wide left and from around 20 yards the tall striker thumped a looping shot towards the target. The ball soared and dipped into the net over the head of the helpless goalkeeper; it would have to take something special to beat Stuttard today but unfortunately for the keeper we had seen two moments of genius for the Home team today (2-3).

An equaliser was soon to follow for the Home team but it was certainly debateable. A corner was whipped in from the right by Martin McMullan; Ben Leslie looked to have got his head to it before it was cleared away by Tim Luke Baines right on the line. It wasn't clear to an onlooker who had the last touch or if the ball had crossed the line or if Baines had cleared it to safety but the officials gave the goal and they had the final say (3-3).

As the final whistle got closer both teams looked eager to get the all important winning goal. Most of the game was battled out in the middle of the pitch but with no real chances to brag about. Goalkeeper Daniel Stuttard had to go off injured and the Home team came close with the last chance of the match. A dipping effort from a long range free-kick from goal-scorer McMullan looked destined for goal but the replacement goalkeeper, Oliver Clark, showed his goalkeeping ability and did well to tip it over the bar.  

Full-Time: Blackburn Rovers Home 3 - 3 Blackburn Rovers Away

With the teams tied after 90 mins the game was decided by a penalty shoot-out, scoring went as follows (Away team went first):

Kevin Edwards - Scored (Low and hard to keeper's right) 0-1
Martin McMullan - Scored (Keeper came close but nipped by his left hand) 1-1
Justin Vaughan - Missed (Saved by Christopher Dean) 1-1
Steven Smedley - Missed (Saved by Oliver Clark) 1-1
David Traynor - Missed (High and wide of the right post) 1-1
Joe Ryan - Scored (Keeper came close again but great placed penalty) 2-1
William Wilson - Missed (High and wide) 2-1
Andrew Thornhill - Scored (Great finish to win the shoot-out) 3-1

Home team won 3 - 1 on Penalties

Man of the Match Home: Dave Buglass
Man of the Match Away: Kevin Edwards
Moment of the Match: Jason Guy

Home Team: Christopher Dean, Andrew Thornhill, Kevin Gallacher, Dave Buglass, Keith Proudfoot, Joe Ryan, Terry Hardwick, Steven Smedley, Jason Guy, Martin McMullan, Ben Leslie, Moin Patala, Andrew Thornhill, Darren Vaughan, Grant Moore

Mascot: Jack Corbett

Away Team: Daniel Stuttard, Martin Legdon, Chris Sulley, Simon Phillips, Tim Luke Baines, Kevin Edwards, Eric Lamb, Oliver Clark, Antony Emmott, William Wilson, Justin Vaughan, Richard Legdon, Phillip Isherwood, Nick Ridehalgh, David Traynor

Mascot: Callum Kemsley