Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Man City Game 2 2010

It was a drizzly afternoon in Manchester when our 27 City fanatics arrived at Eastlands for our 2nd game of the day, no doubt still hurting from the previous night's league result, when Peter Crouch's late goal on the very same pitch the fans were about to grace had confirmed Tottenham Hotspur's qualification for the Champions League ahead of the Manchester team, consigning them to the slightly less glamorous Europa League for season 2010/11. However it didn't take long for the mood to brighten, walking into the changing rooms and seeing their own personalised City kits hanging up certainly helped and wide grins starting to appear on the fans' faces with their recent disappointment (temporarily at least!) quickly forgotten.

Thursday 6th May 2010
Manchester City Home vs. Manchester City Away
Kick Off: 14:30pm
Legends: Ian Brightwell and Neil Pointon
Match Officials: Ged Young, Julian Minns, Toby Smith and James Mackintosh

The game got underway with the Home team showing plenty of hunger and drive, pushing forward and looking dangerous in the opposition's half. The Away team responded well though and after 12 mins nearly took the lead. Some excellent skill from James Chisham was nearly rewarded when Michael Nixon chipped the keeper from close range but the linesman had already flagged for offside.

The Home team came close to opening the scoring only moments later when a long ball from Jason Guy allowed Phil Derbyshire to close in on goal, one on one with the keeper it looked promising but Stuart Naismith did well to narrow the angle and pull off a save.

It really was end to end stuff at Eastland's with both teams busting a gut to get the all important first goal. A long ball from the Away right-back Jacob saw Nixon lob the keeper again but Blocksage was there with an excellent sliding clearance on the line.

With the Away team now looking slightly more dominant they continued to press, Pointon played a looping ball forward to Nixon who linked up with Khan before striking at goal. The ball looked destined for the goal, but Duffy pulled off a magical save touching the ball round the post from close range. The shouts came from the stands "Are you watching Mr Capello?"

Moments later and Duffy pulled off another impressive save when Nixon's cross allowed captain Chisham to control and volley towards goal. The shot was top corner bound but somehow Duffy's stretching arm managed to tip the ball over the bar to the relief of his team mates.

The Home keeper was having a blinder and just as it looked like things couldn't go any better for Duffy, one of his goal kicks initiated the opening goal for the Home team. The Captain's goal-kick was controlled well by Jason Guy whose darting run dazzled the defence and allowed him to lay the ball to Andrew Blocksage out wide on the right. The delivery from Blocksage was inch perfect and Phil Derbyshire kept his cool and headed home from close range to rack up the first goal of the game to the Home team (1-0). An excellent move capped by a clinical finish.

The Away team were certainly a little unfortunate to be behind in a match that they had created so many chances, but after another excellent save and a goal-line clearance they finally got the equaliser from the penalty spot. Nick Taylor gave away the penalty, although what it was awarded for is still in question. Despite any doubts about the award Lee Bryant stayed composed and fired home from the penalty spot to level the score (1-1).

Despite this setback the Home team stayed strong and kept their heads held high and after only a few moments had taken the lead again. A through ball found Phil Derbyshire closing in on the keeper but this time he made no mistake and calmly chipped the ball past the keeper and in to the net (2-1). Derbyshire was clearly delighted and demonstrated this with his Robbie Keane like celebration.

Half Time: Manchester City Home 2 - 1 Manchester City Away

The Away team got the second half underway with legend Neil Pointon taking up an unusual position between the sticks to replace the injured Naismith. The Away team started well and quickly got the goal that levelled the scoring for the second time. McKenzie's addition to the second half got off to a flying start when his square ball to James Chisham allowed the captain to score from just inside the area (2-2).

The Home team nearly went ahead again but some fine goalkeeping from Pointon prevented that. Currivan made a great run from the back linking up well with the midfield before playing the ball square across the goalmouth but Derbyshire couldn't finish from close range.

The Home team then took the lead for the third time in the match when Adam Samuels' pass found its way to Derbyshire inside the area and he slipped the ball past the keeper and ran off in jubilation (3-2). The third goal for the Home team and the third goal for Derbyshire!

The Home team again struggled to hold on to their lead and after only a matter of minutes had conceded again. A cross from the left hand side found its way to the head of Asa McKenzie in the centre of the box and he made the most of his chance, heading into the corner of the net leaving Duffy with no chance at all (3-3). Second half sub McKenzie had certainly made an impact in the second half, playing vital roles in both goals since his arrival.

The Away team were really fired up now and for the first time in the match managed to take the lead. Windle played a clever pass to McKenzie, who went for glory from 25 yards with a great right footed strike which flew past the keeper's left hand and into the net (3-4).

Now it was time for the Home team to come back from behind and true to form they managed to do that within minutes. Duffy played a long ball up field to Luke Samuels who nodded the ball through to Derbyshire in a narrowly onside position. The striker then closed in on goal and powered a shot to the left of the keeper which struck the inside of the post and into the net (4-4). Another goal for Derbyshire to complete a fantastic performance!

Full Time: Manchester City Home 4 - 4 Manchester City Away

After a little debate between the match officials and the Football Aid team, the decision was taken to have a penalty shoot-out to decide the result. It was a decision that the Home team were to rue, with them losing the shoot-out to the more composed Away team...

Penalty Shoot-Out Details

Jason Guy - Missed (Low past left post) 0-0
Lee Windle - Scored (Left footed past keeper's dive) 0-1
Andrew Blocksage - Missed (Saved by Pointon) 0-1
Lee Bryant - Scored (Side foot to keeper's left) 0-2
Gary O'Hagan - Missed (Wide right, earning him the Moment of the Match!) 0-2
Ray Waterhouse - Scored (Low finish past the keeper's right hand) 0-3
Adam Samuels - Scored (High into the net, not undone by Pointon telling him to go right!) 1-3
Anthony Timbrell - Missed (High and wide right past the post) 1-3
Luke Samuels Scored (Wrong footed Pointon to score up the middle) 2-3
Chris Smale - Missed (Keeper saved brilliantly, suspicion he may have been slightly off his line...) 2-3 

Man of the Match Home: Rich Duffy
Man of the Match Away: Michael Nixon
Moment of the Match: Gary O'Hagan

Home Team: Rich Duffy, Nick Taylor, Ian Brightwell, Gary O'Hagan, Chris Howard, Michael Bury, Andrew Blocksage, Luke Adamczyk, Philip Derbyshire, Steve Charnock, Jason Guy, Luke Samuels, Michael Currivan, Adam K Samuels

Mascot: Nathan Stevens

Away Team: Stuart Naismith, Lindsay Jacobs, Neil Pointon, Darryl Beecham, Chris Smale, Michael Nixon, Lee Bryant, Sibby Khan, Ray Waterhouse, James Chisham, Neil Hodkinson, Asa McKenzie, Robert Shaw, Anthony Timbrell, Lee Windle.

Mascot: Noah Chisham