Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Liverpool Game 1 2010

The sun shone on Anfield as 28 excited Liverpool fans arrived at the famous old stadium eager to do themselves justice on their big day. Luckily Football Aid Ambassador and ever present Brian Hall and fellow kop hero Howard Gayle were on hand to lend their experience when needed and help guide them through the day.  

Friday 7th May 2010
Liverpool Home vs Liverpool Away
Game 1
Kick Off: 10:00am
Legends: Brian Hall and Howard Gayle
Match Officials: Gordon Johnson, Keiran Johnson, Mike Southern & Tom Pritchard

The match started well with both sides vying for early control of the game. The teams were less than 3 mins into the game when the Away side had their first chance at goal from Ian Maddock, which looped over the defenders but was comfortably stopped by Home keeper Julian Taylor. The Away side continued to gain control of play over the coming minutes, keeping the ball at the Home end and having the majority of the shots at goal.

However it wasn't the Away side who opened the scoring, instead the Home side were gifted a free kick out wide, on the left-hand side of the Away end. The resulting kick was crossed in beautifully by left midfielder Kenneth Cobb and placed comfortably past the keeper by centre midfielder Nathan Marriot (1-0).

Both sides displayed real skill throughout the match keeping the ball in play and under control. The passing was also good and both teams manoeuvred the ball with great dexterity. The Away team nearly grabbed a goal back when legend Howard Gayle made a spectacular run upfield, dodging defenders until he laid the ball off to a fellow player but they allowed the keeper to dive on the ball to snuff out the chance.

After fending off another attempt by the Home side to extend their lead, the Away team sent the ball quickly back down the opposite end where centre forward Lee Bignell played a perfect cross into the penalty area which was then sent flying past the Home keeper, Julian Taylor, by a brilliantly timed header by centre midfielder Nathan Liddle in the 19th min (1-1). Now that they were back in the game the Away side continued to pressurize the Home defence in hope of gaining a lead.

And they were rewarded 2 mins later when a chip into the penalty box by right midfielder Jamie Moryoussef was intercepted but it fell to centre forward Lee Bignell, whose shot went in off the post, past the keeper and into the bottom left corner of the net (1-2). The Home side then started to fight back with possession evening out and both sides struggling to gain an advantage.

The Away side had yet another good chance on goal with an arcing ball into the box by right-back Adam Newton which right midfielder Jamie Moryoussef got his head to, but his effort slid just past the left post. The Away team continued to get past the Home defence, however goalkeeper Taylor was preventing them adding to their tally. The Home team responded with their own efforts on goal with play concentrated at the Away end.

However the temporary deadlock was finally ended by a fantastic long shot into the top right-hand corner from 20 yards out by the Away side's centre midfielder Craig Dewhurst (1-3). Half-time came only minutes later, denying the Home side the chance to mount a comeback.

Half-Time: Liverpool Home 1 - 3 Liverpool Away

The second half started with both teams looking extremely eager, the Away team looking to protect their two goal lead and possibly extend it and the Home team aiming for a 2nd half come back. As the half progressed both sides had their fair share of chances to score, the most notable came from Craig Dewhurst, who made an unchallenged run down the centre of the field and just missed the target outside the right post from around 20 yards out.

The Home team then had their own chance with a free kick given just outside the box. This was taken by centre forward Tony Hine, who lofted it just over the crossbar. Over the remainder of the second half the Away keeper, Romulo Cuba Illanes, was worked very hard as the Home strikers managed shot after shot on target. However he didn't let a single one past him, making some fantastic saves in the process.

It wasn’t the Home side who scored next though; Jamie Moryoussef picked up a clearance from the Home defence and squared it to Chris Dennett, the No 8 proceeded to step inside his man and unleash and unstoppable effort from 25 yards out past Taylor's despairing dive and into the corner of the net. A great strike and an early contender for goal of the season! (1-4). This didn't dampen the Home side's spirits however and they didn't let their heads drop as the second half progressed and they responded with their own goal with two players beating the keeper and Declan Brady slotting the ball into the open goal, his celebration showing just what it means for a fanatical Pool fan to score at the Kop end! (2-4).

Unfortunately for the Home side they couldn't quite complete their comeback and at full time the scores remained the same with the Away team running out deserved winners.

Full-Time: Liverpool Home 2 - 4 Liverpool Away

Man of the Match (Home): Julian Taylor
Man of the Match (Away):
Craig Dewhurst
Moment of the Match:
Romulo Cuba Illanes

Home Team: Julian Taylor, Nigel Collins, Howard Gayle (1st half), Adrian English, Gerard Holly, Patrick Hallinan, Arthur Burcher, Kenneth Cobb, Tony Hine, Nathan Marriott, Declan Brady, Andreas Beijer, Gavin Millen, Emmet Murphy & Robert Widdrington Manager: Brian Hall

Away Team: Romulo Cuba Illanes, Adam Newton, Howard Gayle (2nd half), David Sadler, Peter Hurst, Nathan Liddle, Jamie Moryoussef, Chris Dennett, Lee Bignell, Craig Dewhurst, Ian Maddock, Paul Phillips, Paul Schwartz, Paul McQuade & Andrew Unsworth Manager: Brian Hall

Mascots: Katy Millen & Joshua Liddle