Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Man City Game 1 2010

It was a drizzly morning in Manchester when our 27 City fanatics arrived at Eastlands, no doubt still hurting from the previous night's league result, when Peter Crouch's late goal on the very same pitch the fans were about to grace had confirmed Tottenham Hotspur's qualification for the Champions League ahead of the Manchester team, consigning them to the Europa League for season 2010/11. However it didn't take long for the mood to brighten, walking into the changing rooms and seeing their own personalised City kits hanging up certainly helped and wide grins starting to appear on the fans' faces with their recent disappointment (temporarily at least!) quickly forgotten. 

Thursday 6th May 2010
Man City Home vs Man City Away
Kick Off: 10:30am
Legends: Richard Edgehill and Jason Beckford
Match Officials: Stuart Delmonte, Ronnie Quinn, Stephen Welch and Steve Cundall

The Away team got the game underway and straight from the whistle were off to a flying start. After just 1 min on the clock they opened the scoring when a stray back pass from Scott McMillan was picked up by Phil Spencer who after faking to shoot twice connected well with the third swing allowing the ball to run past the keeper and into the Home team's net (0-1).

It wasn't until 20 mins in to the game the crowd witnessed the first clear cut chance for the Home team. Bal Singh picked the ball up in midfield and after a string of well-worked passes Edgehill crossed from the left but Phil Jarman's diving header could only find its way into the hands of keeper Craig Hill.

The Home team continued to push forward in search of an equaliser and they came close with about half an hour on the clock when McMillan gathered from a poor clearance. He did well to skip past defender Adam McKnight but Hill was down early to make a save with his feet.

The No 8 McMillan was coming on to a good game now for the Home team, clearly determined to make up for his stray back pass which allowed Spencer to open the scoring. Simon Crossley linked up well with McMillan before firing a powerful effort from distance but Hill yet again committed himself and his outstretched arm touched the ball behind for a corner.

The goal finally came for the Home team when Jarman played the ball out right to the captain, Simon Crossley. Crossley's delivery managed to take a deflection and found its way to the feet of Peter Maxey just inside the box who rocketed the ball into the top corner with a fine left-footed strike (1-1). 

Half Time: Man City Home 1 - 1 Man City Away

The Home team kicked off the second half and started in similar fashion to the Away team in the first half, almost opening the scoring with only a couple of minutes on the clock. Phil Jarman rounded the keeper and hit the net after finding himself through on goal but unfortunately for the Home team the official had already flagged for offside.

The first goal of the second half however did come for the Home team, after a duelling battle between Phil Nevis and Stuart Lynch saw Nevis play the ball to Matthew Maxey at the edge of the box and Maxey took no time at all before curling the ball high into the net. The keeper got close but his outstretched arm wasn't enough to get a touch of the ball and stop it clipping the underside of the bar before rippling the net (2-1). Yet another excellent goal scored by the impressive Maxey brothers!

The game seemed to step up a gear now as the Away side drove forward in search of the leveller. After winning a corner Steven Caldecott swung it in from the left hand side but his cross was met by the head of Paul Maxey. The header however, could only find its way to Mark Attwater at the edge of the box who fired a rocket of a shot towards goal, Crossley touched the ball off the bar with a fantastic save but it wasn't enough to prevent the goal, with Phil Spencer staying composed and volleying in the rebound (2-2).

However it wasn't long before the Home team had taken the lead for the second time in the match. Phil Jarman lobbed a lovely free kick into the box, from midway inside his opponents' half, which was met by the head of Mark Benham before sailing past the keeper (3-2). A well worked free-kick which had the perfect finish.

The last chance of the match came for the Away team as they tried to salvage a draw from the game in the form of an indirect free-kick, but the Home team stood strong and held on for a hard fought victory in a match which in fairness could have gone either way.

Full Time: Man City Home 3 - 2 Man City Away

Man of the Match Home: Peter Maxey
Man of the Match Away:
Huw Evans
Moment of the Match:
Mark Attwater

Home Team: Jonathan Crossley, Oliver Ross, Richard Edgehill, Matthew Maxey, Paul Maxey, Peter Maxey, Simon Crossley, Mark Benham, Scott McMillan, Phil Jarman, Bal Singh, Phil Nevis & Steven Roberts

Away Team: Craig Hill, Huw Evans, Jason Beckford, Joseph Millar, Adam McKnight, Tony Witley, Phil Spencer, Lee Viner, David Traynor, Stuart Lynch, John Horner, Steven Caldecott, Craig Melvin, John Kennelly & Mark Attwater

Mascots: Landon Crossley & Callum Viner