Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Leicester City 2010

It was a sunny Sunday morning in Leicester when the Foxes fanatics arrived at The Walkers Stadium and what better way to sweat out the Saturday hangover than running up the tunnel and out on to that hallowed turf and playing alongside a trio of Leicester legends.

Sunday 16th May 2010
Leicester City Home vs. Leicester City Away
The Walkers Stadium
Kick Off: 11:00am
Match Officials: Karl Robinson, Tim Wilson, Will Higham and Helen Green
Legends: Ali Mauchlen, Mike Whitlow and Muzzy Izzet 

It was the Away team that got the first half underway sporting the all Black kit and the 1st chance of the match fell to the Away team's Steven Thomson who burst forward and struck from long-range. However his shot didn't trouble the Home goal and sailed wide of the mark.

The game progressed with both teams playing very attractive football in the middle of the park but the first goal came from an impressive breakaway by the Away team. A good clearance from a Home corner saw Daniel Thomas bomb forward before playing the ball to Thompson. He continued to drive forward before playing the ball to Away legend Izzet at the edge of the box, after taking a couple of touches Izzet shot off the inside of the post and into the back of the net (0-1).

Time ticked by and the Home team went in search of an equaliser but most of the game was being battled out in the middle of the park. However the Away team came close to increasing their lead 15 mins after the opening goal, when Mark Crofts' edge of the box pile driver tested the handling of Home GK Mark Marlow.

Mike Whitlow nearly allowed Jonathan Davis the chance to level the scoring when his through ball left Davis one on one with Away keeper Daniel Thomas, but Davis' low effort could only drift wide of the post.

The second goal came soon enough for the Away team, arriving not long before the break. Steven Thompson picked up the ball about thirty yards out and with the Home team standing back he struck from distance; the ball rocketed towards goal before clipping the keepers left post and nestling in the net (0-2).

Half Time: Leicester City Home 0 - 2 Leicester City Away

The second half began with the Home team kicking off but the first chance fell to the Away team when Ady Landers set up Daniel Thomas for a shot inside the box but his strike ricocheted against the woodwork and bounced clear of the goal.

Moments later came the third goal for the Away team. A well worked move saw Thomas' shot saved well by the keeper but Grant McCarthy was there to slot the rebound into the empty net (0-3). The Home team were certainly under pressure now.

Only 2mins later and a long ball from Muzzy Izzet in the left back position saw Daniel Thomas one on one with Mark Marlow; the keeper came out and tried to narrow the angle but the silky striker rounded him, kept his composure and placed the ball into the net (0-4).

The Away team were on fire now and seemed unstoppable. Pushing forward again the ball was crossed to Thompson who laid the ball back to Ady Landers at the edge of the box. Without hesitation Landers put his laces through the ball and watched it soar in to the keeper's top left corner. A wonderful strike by Landers which was completed by an equally good celebration! (0-5)

The goals were coming quick and fast now as the Away team continued to dominate in the increasingly tiring heat. Mark Crofts hit a fantastic long ball forward to Thompson, who gathered and took control of the attack. Showing great determination Thompson bombed forward into the box, skipped past two defenders and beat the keeper from just outside the six yard box. A great run by Steven Thompson for the goal. (0-6)

The Home team continued to fight on and came close when a through ball for Alex Cooke saw the striker bearing down on keeper Daniel Thomas. Thomas came charging out from the area to close down Cooke and recklessly barged the player to the ground. On first glance it looked like a last man foul but after watching the replays the referee made the correct decision as Thomas played the ball.

Cooke got the goal that he had been pushing for all game long only moments after the collision with Thomas. Davis played the ball out wide to Edward Barge on the right wing. His lovely delivery was met by the head of Cooke and sailed over Thomas who was off his line and struck the back of the net (1-6). Five goals behind but that didn't stop Cooke's celebrations.

The Away team were quick to respond to losing their clean sheet however and a poor kick out by keeper Marlow found its way to the feet of McCarthy. The No 7 sprinted towards goal and slotted the ball past Marlow, a poor goal to lose but credit to McCarthy for staying cool and beating the keeper (1-7).

Two mins later and the spectators were treated to the eighth goal for the boys in Black and a hat-trick for Steven Thompson. Landers drove forward and with great vision picked out the run of Thompson. The tall striker then closed in on the keeper and calmly passed the ball past him from close range (1-8).

The last goal of the game came when a through ball from the back allowed Thomas to narrowly beat the offside trap and find himself one on one with the keeper. Crofts sprinted forward to support and as the keeper came out to narrow the angle Thomas played the ball back to Crofts who drilled home to increase the lead yet again (1-9).

Full Time: Leicester City Home 1 - 9 Leicester City Away

Man of the Match Home: John Vint
Man of the Match Away:
Adrian Landers
Moment of the Match:
Adrian Landers

Home Team: Mark Marlow, Nick Poling, Mike Whitlow, Ali Mauchlen (Manager), Richard Findlay, John Vint, David Geere, Rudy Aherne, Andrew Scott, Jonathan Davis, Edward Barge, Alex Cooke, Thomas Bergin, Chris Ewart & David Shephard

Away Team: Daniel Thomas, Jamie Walker, Muzzy Izzett, Ali Mauchlen (Manager), Paul Whitby, James Dillon, Adrian Landers, Grant McCarthy, Mark Preston, Daniel Thomas, Mark Crofts, Steven Thompson, Lance Tomlyn & Marcus Smith

Mascots: James Marlow & Keiran Preston