Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Watford 2010

It was only two days since the club had finished the season in style, a 4-0 hammering of Coventry City following the 3-0 thrashing of Reading adding some excitement to what had been an otherwise disappointing season; the clubs place in the division was secure. It was therefore a happy group of Hornets fans that made their way to the famous Vicarage Road to play in Football Aid's 2010 charity match...

Tuesday 4th May 2010
Watford Home vs. Watford Away
Kick Off: 10.30am
Match Officials: James Reeder, Peter Munt, Steve Worsley and Chris Myatt

The game began at a frantic pace with both teams eager to get the ball down and play some football, impressive stuff considering the less than ideal condition of the pitch. With the match only 5 mins old the away team took the lead; Adam Vessey got possession just inside his own half, ran forward with the ball before playing a great pass in behind Andrew Blocksage for his team mate and captain, Steven Luff to run onto, Luff's first time shot finding the bottom left corner of the goal (0-1).

In the 10th min the Away team came agonisingly close to extending their advantage; Vessey received a pass in the centre of the opposition half, his precise back heel found Pavey on the right of the area, he cut the ball back across the box where it was gathered by Steven Luff, who drove towards goal and hit a ferocious right foot shot that was heading into the top left corner before Nick Enright pulled off a truly outstanding diving save, tipping the ball over for a corner. Great play all round!

Midway through the half the Home side created their first real opportunity after a few minutes of sustained pressure; a cross in from the right was cleared by the Away defence but picked up left of the area by Gary Woodland, his inch perfect cross found Mark Howell unmarked at the back post with the goal at his mercy, unfortunately his header sailed harmlessly over the bar.

That miss was to prove pivotal to the shape of the game as the Away side went straight up the other end and doubled their lead. Steven Luff crossed from the right but saw his ball in deflect off the head of a defender and loop up into the air, Elliot Lamerton was quickest to react, sliding in to half-volley the ball into the bottom corner with a real poacher's strike (0-2).

Two very quickly became three; the Away team were causing all sorts of problems for the Home defence by continually attacking in numbers, in the 30th min a right foot cross into the box by Steven Luff found Adam Vessey at the back post, his header was steered back across goal past the despairing Nick Enright (0-3).

In the 43rd min the Away side further extended their lead in fortuitous fashion; Lee Pottle crossed in from the right after receiving the ball from a short corner, his delivery was flicked on by Steven Luff and Martin Pollard volleyed right footed towards the bottom left corner, the ball bounced back off the post, hit a defender on the line, eventually rebounding back out to Steven Luff who gratefully side footed into the net (0-4). The half-time whistle couldn't come soon enough for the home team, sadly there was more to come in the final minute; Luff got past a defender and pulled the ball back across the box from the right touchline, Darren Fox running in to hit it low and hard past Enright to make it 5 at the break (0-5).

Half-Time: Watford Home 0 - 5 Watford Away

In the 48th min a long clearance from the Away keeper, Clive Woodland, found Elliot Lamerton wide on the right near the halfway line, he outstripped the left back for pace, cut back inside and ran into the box, dummying the keeper before shooting left footed into the empty net (0-6). Five minutes later and another long kick upfield by the Away keeper had the same result; Woodlands kick was met by the head of Steven Luff, his knockdown wasn't dealt with by the Home defence under pressure from Adam Vessey and Elliot Lamerton snuck in to seal his hat-trick (0-7).

Lamerton was now causing chaos amongst the home defence, not content with a hat-trick he promptly grabbed a fourth goal of the game; intercepting a ball inside his own half he drove forward, past the challenges from Andrew Blockstage and Lee Biggerstaff then passed inside for Adam Vessey, ran towards the box and received the return pass before driving into the area and hitting it low past the keeper - a fabulous goal (0-8).

The game was rapidly becoming a procession for the Away side and in the 57th min they got another goal; a long punt upfield again creating a one-on-one situation, this time it was Steven Luff controlling the ball then shooting past a frustrated looking Nick Enright to score his hat-trick, his team's second of the game (0-9).

Most people would have thrown in the towel by now, but all credit must go to the home side for showing a real determination to keep going until the end. In the 68th min Nick Enright again underlined his quality; Adam Vessey blasted a shot at goal from eight yards out that Enright somehow managed to parry away - great save! That save seemed to spur on the Home team to produce what was arguably their best spell in the match.

A terrific piece of football by the Home side saw them come within inches of opening their account; a free kick was taken just outside their own box and hit out wide to the right, the ball was then launched up the wing for Mark Howell, Howell cut the ball back inside for Jason Guy who from outside the box let fly with a dipping right foot effort that cannoned off the crossbar!

The Home side were really going for it now and in the 77th min they finally got the reward for all their hard work; a corner from the left could only be half cleared and from just outside the box the ball was rifled past the helpless keeper by Russell Chandler, another great strike! (1-9). Only moments after the Home side had finished celebrating their goal the Away team scored their tenth; the ball was swung in from the right wing, Steven Luff attempted a spectacular bicycle kick that didn't quite work, the ball fell kindly for Clive Woodland who was now playing outfield, and he controlled it before shooting into the goal (1-10).

In the 80th min Elliot Lamerton scored his fifth goal of the match; he stole possession inside his own half and passed to Mark Feehan, Lamerton then raced up the right wing where he received the ball back, ran past his marker and into the box, then fired past Nick Enright (1-11). In the final minute, with the Home side pouring forward in search of another consolation goal, the Away team hit them with a classic counter attack; by getting the ball forward quickly they left Adam Vessey with only the keeper the beat, he hit the ball past him before sliding in to squeeze the ball into an empty net (1-12).

Full-Time: Watford Home 1 - 12 Watford Away

Man of the Match (Home): Gary Woodland
Man of the Match (Away):
Elliot Lamerton
Moment of the Match:
Nick Enright

Home Team: Nick Enright, Bernie Biggerstaff, Andrew Blocksage, Luke Rowland, Russell Chandler, Mark Howell, Lee Biggerstaff, Jason Guy, Matthew Ginger, Clive Gibbard, Mukarram Ali Syed & Gary Woodland

Away Team: Clive Woodland, Steven Saville, Martin Pollard, Daniel Saville, Elliot Lamerton, Tom Pavey, Darren Fox, Adam Vessey, Lee Pottle, Steven Luff & Mark Feehan

Mascots: Zoe Hammond & Spike Luff