Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Rangers 2010

The sun was shining in the Glasgow sky and Rangers FC were almost in touching distance of the Scottish Premier League trophy. If this wasn't enough to make our Rangers fans excited, the opportunity to sit in the official dressing rooms, pull on their personalised replica kits and walk down the tunnel and onto the Ibrox pitch certainly was.

Wednesday 21st April 2010
Rangers Home vs. Rangers Away
Ibrox Stadium, Glasgow
Kick Off: 6:30pm
Legends: Ally McCoist, Derek McInnes, Ally Dawson and Alec Cleland
Match Officials: James Tedford, Calum MacDonald and Chris Graham

The Home team kicked off the game at a quick pace and showed some real promise straight from the start when a through ball from Derek McInnes found No 9 Alan Ramsay, who looked to be in on goal, but the linesman was on his toes and had already flagged for the offside.

4 mins later the Rangers Away team also made their mark on the game when an Alec Cleland pass found No 11 Jamie Reid whose forward ball gave Frank McCormick the opportunity to close in on goal, but he was quickly met by the goalkeeper Andrew Jordan who gathered the ball well from the striker's feet.

However it wasn't long before the fans got to see the first goal of the game, after just 16 mins Iain McLennan played a lovely ball over the top to Kenneth Robertson who drove in for the right before playing an in-swinging ball which found Peter Stephen in acres of space inside the area where he easily slotted the ball into the net. (1-0)

Only moments later the Home side had another chance to increase the lead and they made no mistake in making sure that happened. Douglas Moore picked the ball up inside his own half and played the ball to the feet of Captain Stuart Blackwood, Blackwood then played a back pass to Ally McCoist who slid a long ball along the deck straight through to Blackwood who had continued his run and found himself one on one with Away keeper Mark Armstrong. A burst of pace and a quick side step and Blackwood found himself past Armstrong, and he made no mistake by passing the ball into the empty net before wheeling off in celebration (2-0). There were shouts for offside from the Away team but the linesman on the far side kept his flag down.

Shortly after the 2nd goal and with 23 mins on the clock the Home team again found the net, a short free-kick from McCoist to Blackwood gave Blackwood the space to pass to Kenneth Robertson at the edge of the box and his fantastic long range strike dipped over Armstrong in the Away goal (3-0). Robertson who had already grabbed an assist in this game was mobbed by team mates and pointed to the heavens in jubilation.

It was one-way traffic at this time and within two mins of the third goal the home team went 4 ahead when a clearance from Alec Cleland was intercepted by McCoist and his through ball gave Iain McLennan the chance to shoot from a tight angle and did well to sneak the ball past the goalkeeper. (4-0)

Led by McCoist and McInnes the Home team's domination continued, however the Away team managed to hold off until the 38th min before conceding another goal, unfortunately it was to come from Away defender Dean Thorpe, who diverted an Ally McCoist cross into the back of his own net (5-0).

Half Time: Rangers Home 5-0 Rangers Away

The Away team got the 2nd half underway with the hope that Ally Dawson and Alec Cleland's half-time team talk was enough to restore some spirit throughout the team. Unfortunately for the team sporting the red shirts, this was not the case and after just 5 mins an up-field ball from McInnes allowed Robertson to play an inside ball to the captain Blackwood, who closed in on goal and blasted the ball past the helpless goalkeeper for his second goal of the game (6-0). 

The Home team seemed unstoppable; pushing forward again a Dougie Moore cross struck the hand of the Away defender Alasdair Matheson inside the box and with no hesitation the official pointed to the spot despite the Away team's protests. Andrew Jordan stepped up to take the penalty and despite Away keeper Armstrong guessing the correct side it wasn't enough to keep Jordan's composed penalty from rippling the net. Punching the air with joy Andrew Jordan looked overwhelmed with bagging himself a goal, not something that many goalkeepers can brag about (7-0).

Two mins later and it was another Home player who doubled his goal tally for the evening when after a tussle with the Away defenders Kenneth Robertson kept his cool before firing home from inside the box (8-0). This was certainly deserved for Robertson who had played a vital role in the team's success.

Time ticked away and by now it looked clear that there was no way back for the Away team. A Phil Jarman corner was met by the head of Captain "Egor" but his header wasn't enough to get the Away team their first goal.

With 62 mins on the clock McCoist drove forward with the ball before playing it to McInnes who continued the charge up field, his perfect pass gave James Russell the chance to make his mark on the game. Russell collected the ball and hit a low and powerful strike which saw the Home team increase the lead to 9 (9-0).

By now the match was over as a contest but the Away team continued to hold their heads high and try to get forward. With just over 22 mins to go Ferguson acquired the ball, then he played it to David Stewart who laid the ball fantastically to Jarman whose effort rattled back off the post. The Home team struggled to clear their lines and Cleland picked the ball up on the each of the box, a wide pass to Glenn Rutherford and his shot zoomed past the outstretched Mark Armstrong to give the Away team their 1st goal of the game (9-1).

For a short spell after Rutherford's goal it looked like the Home team had been silenced but this all changed on the 75th min when the on-form Robertson launched a dipping ball to the back post which found centre half Dougie Moore who controlled well before burying the ball between the posts (10-1).

It was clear to the spectators that Robertson was clearly fired up for this Wednesday night spectacle, with a number of assists and two goals under his belt it wasn't long before his hat-trick was completed. Peter Stephen played a nice ball through to Robertson who took a touch before rocketing home from a tight angle (11-1). It was the icing on the cake for Robertson; this was not a night he will forget in a hurry!

The last goal of the game to no surprise came from the Home team yet again. This time it was Derek McInnes who took great pleasure in showing the spectators he still has a trick or two up his sleeve. McInnes gathered the ball within his own half and skipped past player after player until he reached the opponents box, he then calmly chipped the ball past the keeper and ran off to celebrate (12-1).

This was the last goal in what had been a great occasion for all the players involved. The Home team were brilliant and won the game comfortably, but the Away team left the park with their heads held high clapping the fans before heading back down the tunnel.

Full Time: Rangers Home 12-1 Rangers Away

Man of the Match Home: Douglas Moore
Man of the Match Away:
Dean Thorpe
Moment of the Match:
Kenneth Robertson

Home Team: A. Jordan, A. McCoist, D. McInnes, D. Moore, D. Buglass, I. MacLennan, S. Grant, P. Stephen, A. Ramsay, S. Blackwood, K. Robertson, J. Russell

Mascot: Jake Blackwood

Away Team: M. Armstrong, A. Barr, A. Cleland, A. Dawson, R. Thorpe, D. Stewart, G. Rutherford, G. Millar, F. McCormick, P. Jarman, J. Reid, B. Ferguson, A. Matheson, D. McKenzie, D. Thorpe.

Mascot: Sarah Armstrong