Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

QPR 2010

It was a bright, sunny evening in W12 as thirty loyal R's fans and their loved ones turned up for Football Aid's 2010 charity match at Loftus Road. The feeling of excitement was visibly growing as kick-off approached, with friends and family all helping to create a special atmosphere while the players waited to be taken down to the dressing rooms...

Tuesday 4th May 2010
QPR Home v QPR Away
KO: 18:00 PM
Legends: Marc Bircham & Steve Gallen (Home), Steve Palmer & Rufus Brevett (Away)
Match Officials: Mark Sarah, Adrian Waters, Steve Daly and Caroline Mitchell

The Home side began the game keen to make an early impression, with legend Marc Bircham showing his intent right away with a marauding run down the left wing, but it came to nothing with Bircham being crowded out by the Away defence. However in only the 2nd min it was the Away team that took the lead with what was their first attack; Luke Oliver stole possession just outside the area then slid the ball in behind the Home defence for Stuart Morgan to slot past Andrew Brett in goal (0-1).

It didn't take long for the Home side to get themselves back on level terms; some good pressing high up the pitch forced a mistake from Away legend Rufus Brevett, the ball came to Adam Burroughs just outside the box, he played it right for Rob Kent then continued his run in towards goal where he received the pull-back and side footed past the keeper from 5 yards out (1-1).

After that hectic start to the match, things slowly settled down, with both sides content to pass the ball around and probe for openings. In the 15th min a lovely passing move from the Away side culminated in a terrific goal that restored their lead; Brevett chipped the ball in to the box for Stuart Morgan, who shielded the ball well before passing along the edge of the area for Lee Wadlow, with his first time strike making it past the keeper (1-2).

A minute later the Away side further extended their lead with another fabulous passing move; starting in their own half the ball was worked out to the left for Brevett, he ran with the ball then passed to Luke Oliver who was positioned inside the penalty area to the left of goal, he slid the ball across the box where Martin Patterson dummied, allowing the ball to roll between his legs and Stuart Morgan came rushing in to hit a first time right foot shot in off the upright, a great goal! (1-3).

The game was slowly getting away from the Home team at this point, but there was still plenty of fight in them. They began to play their way back into the match and were rewarded for their efforts in the 34th min; a corner from the right was taken by Rob Kent and his out-swinging ball into the area was met by a thundering header from Home legend, Steve Gallen, who got up above the defence to drag his side back into it (2-3).

After a period of sustained pressure, and with only 2 mins remaining in the half, the Home team got a deserved equaliser. Joe Paradiso curled a terrific in-swinging ball into the penalty area that was met by the head of John Jennings who had stolen in behind the defence, with his firm header finding the back of the net to level things at the break (3-3).

Half-Time: QPR Home 3 - 3 QPR Away

The Home team began the second half in much the same vain as they finished the first forty five, peppering the goal with strikes from distance and testing Anthony Harvey in goal. It was very much against the run of play that the Away side almost took the lead for the third time in the match; a badly timed tackle by none other than Marc Bircham bringing down Lee Wadlow, but some great officiating saw the play continue as the referee spotted the advantage as Richard Walls went through on goal, however his shot was well blocked by Andrew Brett who then pounced on the loose ball.

The crowd were certainly adding to the occasion with some very vocal support; in the 58th min the Home side attacked in numbers and put the Away defence on the back foot, first Joe Paradiso had his shot blocked from inside the area, then Chris Hermitage saw his effort cannon off another defender who had desperately thrown his body in the way - this commitment to the cause drew a prolonged round of applause from the stands.

In the 62nd min the Home team were awarded a free kick near the left corner of the area after Steve Long upended Frankie Bircham, Long earning himself a stern lecture from the referee before play continued. Chris Hermitage stepped up and curled the free kick at goal, but Anthony Harvey got down well at his near post to smother the danger. Chances were being created by both sets of players, but a combination of terrific goalkeeping and disciplined defending kept the scores level going into the final ten minutes.

In the 80th min a quick break by the Home team saw Marc Bircham play the ball out wide to the left touchline for the forward run of his namesake, Frankie, he played the ball back across to Marc Bircham just inside the box, surrounded by defenders Bircham nonchalantly flicked the ball through for Adam Burroughs who had only the keeper to beat, but Anthony Harvey again stood up well to block the shot.

That was to be the last major goalmouth action of the game and the referee's whistle ended the match with the scores even, a fitting result for both team's excellent efforts.

Full-Time: QPR Home 3 - 3 QPR Away

Man of the Match (Home): Andrew Brett
Man of the Match (Away): Anthony Harvey
Moment of the Match: Stuart Morgan

Home Team: Andrew Brett, Jaea Wilkinson, Marc Bircham, Steve Gallen, Robert Pollington, John Jennings, Geoff Davis, Rob Kent, Jack Dennehy, Adam Burroughs, Joe Paradiso, Frankie Bircham, Joe Bernard, Robert Jermain, Mark Favell & Chris Hermitage

Away Team: Anthony Harvey, Emo Ros, Rufus Brevett, Steve Palmer, Steve Long, James Gadd, Luke Oliver, Lee Wadlow, Richard Walls, Stuart Morgan, Paul Freeman, Martin Patterson, Troy Hurrell, Dean Upcraft, Ian Moore & Neil Edmonds

Mascots: Alfie Jones & Mackenzie Hurrell