Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Wolves 2010

It had been a season to remember, back in the Premier League for the hordes of loyal Wolves' fans making the familiar trip to fortress Molineux; the only difference being that tonight they would be cheering on their friends and family in the 2010 Football Aid charity match...

Friday 30th April 2010
Wolverhampton Wanderers Home v Wolverhampton Wanderers Away
KO: 6.30 PM
Legends: Don Goodman & Andy Mutch (Home), Robbie Dennison & Jon Purdie (Away)
Match Officials: Phil Taylor, Andy Cartwright, Gary Taylor and Malcolm Slater

The players walked out the tunnel to a terrific atmosphere from a very vocal home support; they were even treated to a stirring rendition of Hi-Ho-Wolverhampton as they lined up for the team photos. Both sides looked to have been encouraged by the cheers from their loved ones as the game began at a hectic pace.

The Away team looked to have the edge in the opening exchanges and in only the 4th min the Away No 40 hit a right foot effort from 25 yards that sailed high over the bar. A minute later and it was again the Away team coming close to scoring; this time a rash clearance from the Home keeper went straight to Paul Zacaroli, his right foot shot drawing a great reaction save from Michael Ingham to divert the ball past the post and spare his blushes.

The Home team were slowly playing their way into the match by now and they created their first opportunity when a cross into the box from Anthony Johnson forced the Away keeper, Paul Cooke, to come off his line and block an attempted shot from 5 yards out. The best piece of football in the match resulted in the deadlock being broken; former Wolves legend Don Goodman received the ball level with the halfway line and wide left, he played the ball inside for Roger Dale who switched play finding Simon Fawell on the right wing, Fawell's right foot cross was falling just behind Clive Gaulton near the penalty spot but Gaulton managed to turn his body, wrap his foot around the ball and volley it right footed into the bottom left corner, a fabulous goal (1-0).

In the 23rd min the Away side drew level, legend Robbie Dennison played the ball into the box after his initial corner had found its way back to him, his dangerous chip could only be palmed into the air by the keeper and Paul Zacaroli found the back of the net with a diving header at the back post (1-1).

The Away team were in the ascendency now and in the 36th min they took a deserved lead; Paul Zacaroli was again making a nuisance of himself in the box, Andy Hayes of the Home side taking his legs from under him and leaving the referee with no option, PENALTY! Joe Sharples stepping up to confidently despatch the ball past the keeper and give his side a deserved half time lead (1-2).

Half-Time: Wolves Home 1-2 Wolves Away

The second half began with both sides showing plenty of endeavour, but it was the Away team that came close to extending their lead in the 55th min when Away legend, Jon Purdie, hit a terrific cross into the area and Matthew Zacaroli saw his glancing header flash just over the bar.

That miss was to prove costly however when 2 mins later the home side got the equaliser; and it was a moment of individual brilliance from Roger Dale, who picked up the ball in the centre of midfield 35 yards from goal, before turning and unleashed a brilliant right foot shot that sailed high over the stranded Paul Cooke and into the net (2-2).

There was a feeling of déjà vu in the 59th min when Andy Hayes brought down Zacaroli in the box, this time it was Matthew having his legs taken out from under him, the referee signalling another penalty. Chris Thompson stepped up to take the spot-kick only to see his right foot effort well saved by Michael Ingham.

The match was turning into a fantastic contest with both sides playing their part in an enthralling game of football. With the game finely poised and 63 mins on the clock the Home side took the lead once again; great link up play between the strikers saw Clive Gaulton play the ball in for Simon Fawell, his nonchalant back-heel finding his strike partner running through on goal and Gaulton's first time shot squeezed past Paul Cooke (3-2).

Then on 78 mins Jon Purdie took a shot from just inside the area, his strike was tipped onto the post by Michael Ingham, but Matthew Zacaroli was quickest to react, pouncing on the rebound and side-footing the ball home to level things up (3-3). The away team seemed to sense a famous victory and they were pouring forward at every opportunity in the closing stages and their efforts were rewarded in the 82nd min. Matthew Zacaroli slid a great ball down the right channel for Benjamin Thompson to chase, a Home defender tried to shepherd it out but Thompson wasn't content to give it up, his tackle won possession and then he shot right footed past the keeper (3-4).

With the match drawing to a close the Away team added some gloss to the score line with a breakaway goal; an interception in the centre circle created an opening down the left, Chris Thompson sliding the ball past the Home defence for Paul Zacaroli, who finished with a composed shot past Michael Ingham (3-5).

Full-Time: Wolverhampton Wanderers Home 3 - 5 Wolverhampton Wanderers Away

Man-of-the-Match (Home): Bob Thorpe
Man-of-the-Match (Away): Chris Thompson
Moment-of-the-Match: Clive Gaulton

Home Team: Michael Ingham, Andrew Haseley, Don Goodman, Andy Mutch, Andy Hayes, Robert Thorpe, Mark Stanton, Roger Dale, Anthony Johnson, Simon Fawell, Shane Wilkinson, Clive Gaulton, Mark Everiss and Richard Ansell

Mascots: Jessica Stanton and Charlie Mansell

Away Team: Paul Cooke, Anthony Harris, Robbie Dennison, Jon Purdie, Andrew Walton, Peter McIlvenny, Paul Zacaroli, Benjamin Thompson, Carl Edwards, Chris Thompson, Joe Sharples, Matthew Zacaroli, Mike Shaw, Michael Thomson and Craig Wilkinson

Mascots: Edward McIlvenny and Jack Zacaroli