Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Watford 2009

Tuesday 5th May 2009
Watford Home vs Watford Away
K.O: 12:00 PM
Legends: Neil Price and Les Taylor
Match Officials: Steve Daly, Peter Munt, Charles Wilkinson and Matthew Mellor

The match kicked off in bright sunshine and the Away side instantly lookied the more cohesive unit. And it didn't take long for them to grab an early lead after a complete mix-up by the Home defence allowed Clive Gibbard to bundle the ball home in the first minute. The early advantage was further extended in the 3rd min. The ball was crossed in from the right allowing Home keeper Terry Tompkins to catch. However he hurried his kick out and it failed to clear the area, hitting off the heels of his defender and allowing Steven Luff to shoot a right-footed shot into the back of the net and double his team's lead (0-2).

The Away side continued to create chances at will, and managed to get their third goal in the 8th min. Tim Maynard ran at the Home defence, drawing them towards the ball before playing a clever pass behind their left back for Captain Jordi Connor to run onto, he dragged the ball back losing his marker in the process and attacked the goal: shooting left footed across the keeper and into the net (0-3). Things were unfortunately going from bad to worse for the Home side and in the 13th min they found themselves even further behind. This time Russell Chandler hit a terrific shot from 20 yards that cannoned off the left post and out towards the left wing. Steven Luff was available to pick up the loose ball and cross it back into the danger area, where Matthew Iveson snuck between two defenders to head home the fourth (0-4). A minute later and it was five, with Jordi Connor grabbing his second with a chip from inside the area (0-5).

The Home side were still showing plenty fight and for the next ten minutes they managed to get the ball down and keep some possession. The brief period of respite didn't last long however as in the 24th min Jordi Connor broke down the right side of midfield, escaping with the ball from a challenge and slotting past the keeper at the near post for his hat-trick (0-6). Three minutes later and it wasn't getting any better for the Home team, when Russell Chandler got his name on the score sheet, the midfielder running with the ball from inside his own half, playing it out wide and continuing his run forward, receiving the ball back inside the area before hitting a fierce right foot shot past the keeper to make it (0-7).

In the 32nd minute Paul Harriman ran down the left channel then played the ball inside to Steven Luff, Harriman continued his run round the opposing right back, where he played a one two and received the return pass goal side of the defender and hit a great shot inside the near post for the eighth goal (0-8). The Home side finally reacted with a chance of their own a moment later when a break down the left of midfield ended with Paul Whitehead hitting a shot from 20 yards that was well saved by Scott O'Neill.

Unfortunately for the Home team that effort was not the start of any revival as in the 38th min the Away team got their ninth, with Paul Harriman getting his second goal courtesy of an over hit left-footed cross that sailed over the stranded keeper and in off the far right post (0-9). Not content to sit on their lead the Away side ran riot in the final few minutes of the half, Mark Howell making it (0-10) from close range, Jordi Connor scoring his fourth when he skinned two defenders just outside the area and shot home past the keepers left hand (0-11), before Clive Gibbard finished the first half demolition job when he latched onto Declan Brady's flicked header and shot left footed past the keeper (0-12).

Half Time: Watford Home 0 - 12 Watford Away

After what was a demoralising first half for the home side, salvaging some respect was the main priority as they took to the pitch for the second 45 minutes. Moments after the re-start the away team were given a corner on the right; it was hit into the area and found Clive Gibbard unmarked, his first time volley was heading inside the near post before David Marsh hacked it clear.

In the 53rd minute a great ball from the left of midfield over the home defence fell perfectly in front of Jordi Connor, he collected the pass and moved into the box before firing a great early strike over the keeper and into the roof of the net (0-13). It was at this stage of the contest that the Home side enjoyed their best period in the match, applying some sustained pressure to the Away goal without however creating any clear cut chances.

In the 60th minute the crowd were treated to a truly great goal; the home keeper took a free-kick from inside his own half from the left side of midfield, his kick was scuffed and only managed to find an Away player who passed the ball to team mate, Russell Chandler. As the goalkeeper frantically backpedalled, Chandler ran just inside the half before hitting a fantastic long range shot over the keeper and into the net from almost 40 yards (0-14). The fifteenth goal arrived in the 71st  min; Matthew Iveson played a great through ball inside the home left back for Jordi Connor to collect, he took the ball past the challenge from the keeper and out towards the touchline, casually slotting in from a narrow angle for his sixth goal of the match (0-15).

There was another hat-trick for an away player in the 76th minute; Russell Chandler intercepted a pass near the halfway line then ran directly at the opposing goal, he drew the defenders towards the ball before slipping it to the right for Tim Maynard, Maynard cut the ball back across the box and Clive Gibbard hit a first time right foot shot inside the right hand post (0-16).

With barely a minute left on the clock the home team were awarded a very dubious looking penalty when David Marsh looked to have fallen over his own feet. It was Marsh himself that stepped up to take the spot kick, his right foot shot escaping the keeper's clutches and into the net, much to the delight of the home side (1-16). However it was only fitting that the Away side had the last say; almost straight from the re-start they earned themselves a corner that was taken short, a shot came in from Jordi Connor and was saved by the keeper with the rebound being tapped in by Mark Iveson (1-17). Football Aid Ball

Full Time: Watford Home 1 - 17 Watford Away

Man of the Match (Home): Bernie Biggerstaff
Man of the Match (Away): Tim Maynard
Moment of the Match: Russell Chandler
Special Man of the Match Award (for his 6 goals): Jordi Connor 

Home Team: T. Tompkins, L. Biggerstaff, L. Taylor, D. Saville, L, Rowland, B. Biggerstaff, D. Marsh, P. Whitehead, G. Lack, A, Punter, B. Punter, A. Guise, S. Goodman Mascot: Sophie Lack

Away Team: S. O'Neill, P. Harriman, N. Price, D. Brady, T. Maynard, J. Connor, S. Luff, M. Iveson, M. Howell, C. Gibbard, R. Chandler Mascot: Zoe Hammond