Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Everton Game 2 2009

Tuesday 21st May 2009
Goodison Park
Everton Home vs Everton Away (Game 2)
K.O: 7.00pm
Match Officials: Gordon Johnson, Keiran Johnson, David Chappell & Jack Owen
Legends: Mark Wright and Stuart Barlow 

The match began with both sides passing the ball around nicely, players finding their touch and adjusting to the slick playing surface. There were no early clear-cut chances as most of the play was confined to the middle of the Goodison pitch.

It took until the 13th minute for the first real chance to be created; Stein Sherlock of the Away team ran down the right wing and sent a dangerous right foot cross in towards the near post that was headed behind for a corner by the Home side's Frankie O'Connell. Four minutes later and the away side were rewarded for their period of pressure; another corner from the right flag was swung into the area and Ian Dermott hit a crisp right foot volley into the net (0-1). And they almost doubled their lead in the 21st min, Chris Swain received the ball just outside the penalty area on the left, played a one-two with Danny Duffy, with the return pass leaving him with just the keeper to beat, but Paul Green stood up well to save the shot.

Midway through the first half the Away team managed to pull clear by scoring two goals in three minutes. First, Danny Duffy received the ball wide on the right, shrugged off a challenge, before cutting inside and curling a left foot shot over the keeper and into the bottom left corner (0-2). Moments later Stein Sherlock played the ball into the feet of Craig Pearson, continued his run to collect the flick-on and hit an audacious shot with the outside of his right foot from 25 yards that flew past the keeper into the top right corner (0-3)!

Three minutes later the away team almost scored again; John Cotton hit a great defence-splitting pass and Chris Swain ran through on goal before opening his body to shoot right footed, Paul Green making another save with his legs to keep his side in the match.

Half Time: Everton Home 0 - 3 Everton Away

Both teams began the second half in lively fashion without either side creating any openings. It wasn't until the 58th min that the first genuine chance to score arrived; a poor kick by the away keeper, Steuy Weldrake, found Richard Culver of the Home side who drove forward before taking his shot early, however it was too close to the keeper. That missed opportunity was to prove costly when 5 mins later the Away side scored again; the Home defence seemed to stop and look hopefully for an offside flag as Paul Chin's pass found Danny Duffy with only the keeper to beat, Duffy rounded Paul Green and struck the ball into the empty net (0-4).

With the match going their way the Away team began to display their superior quality; they scored their fifth goal in the 70th min when a long goal kick found an Away player, he turned and passed it through for Paul Chin who ran straight at goal before casually chipping the on rushing keeper from outside the box, a great finish to make it 5 for the Away team (0-5). Almost straight from the re-start the Away side scored again; a free-kick was knocked into the box by Lee Donafee, Paul Chin saw his header saved by the keeper before hitting the rebound into the goal for his second in as many minutes (0-6).

Despite the scoreline the Home team were still battling hard, with Steven Hughes in particular a stand out since his introduction at half time and it was his probing that enabled them to grab themselves a fantastic goal. Hughes played a great ball over the defence wide right for Benn Hughes, who showed terrific pace to escape his marker and get to the ball seconds before the keeper clattered into him, his cut-back finding William Polak who slotted into the unguarded net (1-6).

The brief period of joy for the Home side was short lived however as in the final few minutes the Away team re-emphasised their superiority. With 3 mins left Chin won the ball inside his own half, played the ball into Mark Maguire and continued his run forward. Maguire played the return pass and Paul Chin holding off the right back, ran at goal and as the keeper came off his line he hit another audacious chip into the net for his hat-trick (1-7).

The final piece of action fittingly saw the crowd treated to the moment of the match by the hat-trick hero; Paul Chin picked up the ball on the halfway line, drove forward while impressively holding off a determined challenge from Benn Hughes, before hitting a ridiculous left foot shot from 25 yards past the keeper at his near post (1-8).

Full Time: Everton Home 1 - 8 Everton Away

Man of the Match (Home): Wayne Mackney     
Man of the Match (Away):
Stewie Welldrake
Moment of the Match:
Paul Chin

Home Team: P. Green, W. Mackney, M. Wright, W. Polak, F. O'Connell, C. Jones, M. Yorke, J. Gottlieb, C. Roberts, T. Monks, R. Culver, D. Cunningham, B. Hughes, S. Hughes Mascot: Ben Foy

Away Team: S. Weldrake, S. Sherlock, S. Barlow, M. Barley, J. Jones, I. Dermott, P. Chin, D. Duffy, C. Peirson, J. Cotton, C. Swain, L. Donafee, M. Maguire Mascot: Declan Gormley